The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

I would like to ask again, Are there any role for any Khal's (especially big ones like Drogo) daughters on Dothraki society?

Hi GSSL, this is up to interpretation. I don't recall daughters of a Khal are mentioned, nor a practice of wedding pacts. Somehow to me this doesn't seem to fit in their culture, The widows of Khals are meant to become the crones we saw at Vaes Dothrak.

I believe it's mentioned in ASOS when Tyrion meets Oberyn, but why the Martells and Tyrells not like each other much?

Border conflicts is a big reason they hate eachother. I would say another reason they don't get along is their culture and lifestyle. The Reach being the among the most devout and also the most committed to a knight acting like a knight (if that makes sense). While Dorne has a more alternative lifestyle and culture. Conflicting ideals often lead to animosity and violence.

Yeah, him, after the marriage, did he actually get converted into a WW? To quote ASOIAF wiki " Later he fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars", he chased her and loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well"

And then later he committed numerous atrocities, until the King in the North and Joramun got together to settle matters.

My point being, if Benjen- Cold hands, may be all the events he has set into motion, might actually be detrimental to Bran and Co. That would explain the "don't tell anyone Bran's alive" command to Sam better than the explanation that they just wanted everyone to think he was dead.

First, I don't think Coldhands is Benjen, but I'll leave that alone since this is the small questions thread. But a big reason Coldhands didn't want Sam to tell anyone that Bran was alive is he didn't want a specific person to know he was alive. He didn't want Jon to know. If Jon knew then I don't think there is any question to what he would have done. I actually think Stannis would aid Jon in finding Bran as well. If Stannis could bring the King of the North's heir back to Winterfell then you gotta think that would win the North. But Bloodraven has a much bigger plan for Bran and also for Jon.

This is Briennes POV chapter, as Brienne cannot see who is saying what, neither can we, the readers.

I'm pretty sure it's Brienne saying it, and it's just a mistake on GRRM's part. He may have deleted a little piece of conversation about LS going to Fairmarket, but then not that line. There's something similar in a Jaime POV where Tywin talks about Catelyn Stark as if she's still alive (even though we know he knows about her death) which always drives me nuts - supposedly that is the result of GRRM moving Jaime's return to King's Landing to later than he originally intended.

Why did Varys follow through with Robert's orders to have Daenerys killed?

The assassination attempt was meant to placate Robert and spur Khal Drogo to action (spur. horselord. so clever), since the situation in Westeros was rapidly deteriorating. It may or may not have been meant to actually succeed (most likely not). It served his purposes at court as well as his larger plot to return the Targaryens to power.

Why did Varys follow through with Robert's orders to have Daenerys killed?

He doesn't really plan any assassination attempt at all. There's simply a proclamation sent out that anyone who does kill her will receive a lordship from Robert - which seems a pretty terrible way to go about it, as it leads to amateurs like the wineseller botching the job and putting the Dothraki on alert, making future attempts even less likely to succeed. Which was probably Varys' intent.

Isnt Sandor dead?

Why is everyone mentioning a Sandor - Sansa relationship?

He clearly died when the septon found him dying in the forest right?

In general, it’s not believed that Sandor Clegane is dead, despite the testimony of Elder Brother and others. The reason for this is quite simple: the gravedigger.

When Brienne visits the Quiet Isle, she notes that the novices of the order are not only sworn to silence, but wear woolen scarves that hide their faces. While walking up the path to see Elder Brother, she notices a novice digging in the lichyard who’s described as even larger than her and lame (IV: 463). When Dog goes up to him, he drops his spade and scratches the dog’s ear (IV: 464). Later, during a meal, the novice is described moving with a half-lurching gait (IV: 467). Finally, when Brienne discusses Sandor Clegane with the Elder Brother, she dejectedly remarks that Sandor Clegane is dead, to which he responds, "He is at rest." (IV: 470) Later, he says, "the Hound is Dead".

GRRM has previously stated that Sandor Clegane is taller than Brienne (SSM). As last seen in ASoS, he had taken a wound to his hip that became dangerously infected, recovery from which could very likely leave his movement in that leg impaired. And as he told Sansa in ACoK, he was fond of dogs (II: 211). These details all fit the large, limping, dog-loving novice. Combined with Elder Brother’s very specific phrasing—that Sandor Clegane is "at rest" but that "the Hound" is dead—it’s been understood that Elder Brother is hiding the truth without outright lying. The novice who is trying to find peace on the Quiet Isle is Sandor, who has put aside the rage and hatred that made him the Hound, "killing" that part of his persona.

Plus, the Elder Brother said he died at the Trident, and he was speaking figuratively. He could have spoken figuratively in describing Sandor.

Isnt Sandor dead?

Why is everyone mentioning a Sandor - Sansa relationship?

He clearly died when the septon found him dying in the forest right?

there's a theory stating that Sandor is alive and he's the gravedigger on the Quiet Isle. More can be found here and in a lot of other related threads ;)

ETA: the very fast Fire Eater beat me to it :D

Is there any correlation to Ghost's eyes, and that of the greenseers?

Both are red

Are you sure of this? Bran's eyes are not red.

Ghost's eyes may be red because he is an albino.

ETA From the Wiki: the greenseeers of the Children of the Forest had green or red eyes.

Are you sure of this? Bran's eyes are not red.

Ghost's eyes may be red because he is an albino.

I think greenseers' red eyes apply only to the CoTF, not humans.... and lets also note that BR eyes are red because he's an albino too.

I think greenseers' red eyes apply only to the CoTF, not humans.... and lets also note that BR eyes are red because he's an albino too.

Yep . And Melisandre ... although she doesn't seem to be an albino.

When Dany started coming into power she became a brat in meereene...

I was wondering what people though, just quickly she was like in Quarth, as a comparison.

Was she as bad? Anyexamples why/why not?

Been a while since i read acok.

When Dany started coming into power she became a brat in meereene...

I was wondering what people though, just quickly she was like in Quarth, as a comparison.

Was she as bad? Anyexamples why/why not?

Been a while since i read acok.

I'm not sure what you mean in the bold part, but I think I got your question.

The most striking evidence of Daenerys' complete lack of ability as a ruler to me, was trying to change millenia traditions of a whole region (called Slaver's bay - come on!), which wasn't even in her "birthright" (don't get me started on that right) land, but in Essos. And it's not only about traditions - it's about economics, lifestyle, everything really. Freeing slaves and closing pits, just because in your eyes this strange foreign land doesn't seem kinda right. There's an increasingly popular meme with the caption "Well, that escalated quickly!" - I think it's really relevant here. I know she's just a girl, but most leaders show some skills her age. Yes, she was only mentored by her crazy brother, but I think it was clear even to her that he was not the example to follow.

I also think it was well depicted in the show - even though the Qarth line there was pretty much made-up. When the spicer guy (not Xaro, the other one) tells her that giving her ships would be bad investment, she says, "I'm Daenerys Stormborn, the blood of dragons, and I will take what's mine (with fire and blood, for sure)". Well, that seems like a really compelling argument...

Archived