The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

From Arya's chapter The Blind Girl:

I've always thought that these were the wildlings Jon had wanted to save before he got assassinated. It would mean that Arya's storyline is well ahead of everyone else, but from what I gathered several pages ago on this thread, she was promised the new pretty face before Jon's assassination and Kevan's murder.

How come?

IIRC, in Jon's chapters, there are already news of people being taken by slavers at Hardhome, way before his attempt to save them.

IIRC, in Jon's chapters, there are already news of people being taken by slavers at Hardhome, way before his attempt to save them.

Ah! This explains it.

My memory is dark and full of errors . . .

When Dany is given to drogo, and viscerys wants to take her maiden head....

can we be SURE that she was a virgin at that point. Is there reference to her bleeding in the first sex, or ANY indication you can think of that she might not have been a virgin - even to the extent that Dany thinks shes a maiden herself but might not know shes not.?

Does she describe the pain you'd expect a 12 y.o. girl losing her virginity to Drogo?

Its for something i'm working on, i dont have the first 2 books with me!

Thansks!

How do the people in ASoIaF train their ravens to fly to destinations when they send them off with messages? How can they be sure the ravens know which way to go? I'm assuming they do train them even though it's not shown in the books...

It is revealed in TWoW Theon spoiler that ravens are trained to fly back to the place they remember. They are sure the ravens know which way to go since it has been successfully used for millenia.

It is revealed in TWoW Theon spoiler that ravens are trained to fly back to the place they remember. They are sure the ravens know which way to go since it has been successfully used for millenia.

Well, it is already known that ravens have different homes and fly back to those homes. GRRM kind of ignores the logistics of raven transportation. However when the NW goes to the Fist and Sam carries cages of crows, one for Castle Black and one for the Shadow Tower (or Eastwatch - cant recall). TWOW does describe other more skilled ravens and we also learn something about the potential of ravens in ADWD which makes it sound to me like the Andals have lost the art of using ravens.

About the Moon Door in the Eyrie, is it really the way it looks in the HBO series?

Because when I read the books the description makes it seem to be just a normal door but leads straight into nothing, as opposed to the show, where it's basically a round door (a well, if you will) in the floor.

So did they change it for the show, or am I just imagining it differently than it's supposed to look?

Oh, and another books-to-TV question. In the beginning of season 2 in King's Landing, there's a scene with a white raven carrying the message that the long summer is over, but I don't remember that scene from CoK. But I do remember a white raven bringing the message that winter has come in Kevan's prologue chapter at the end of DwD. So did they basically take that scene and put it into season 2 or was there a scene like that in the book?

About the Moon Door in the Eyrie, is it really the way it looks in the HBO series?

Because when I read the books the description makes it seem to be just a normal door but leads straight into nothing, as opposed to the show, where it's basically a round door (a well, if you will) in the floor.

So did they change it for the show, or am I just imagining it differently than it's supposed to look?

Oh, and another books-to-TV question. In the beginning of season 2 in King's Landing, there's a scene with a white raven carrying the message that the long summer is over, but I don't remember that scene from CoK. But I do remember a white raven bringing the message that winter has come in Kevan's prologue chapter at the end of DwD. So did they basically take that scene and put it into season 2 or was there a scene like that in the book?

1. The Moon Door is different on the show from what it is in the book, a door that leads to nowhere.

2. The white raven doesn't appear in King's Landing in ACoK, but on Dragonstone. Yes, they did take an event from ADwD, and put it in season 2 probably to make it look consistent witht he one on Dragonstone.

How do the people in ASoIaF train their ravens to fly to destinations when they send them off with messages? How can they be sure the ravens know which way to go? I'm assuming they do train them even though it's not shown in the books...

It's in the citadels maesters learn to train ravens. You probably earn some link.

In A Feast For Crows, Thoros told Brienne Dondarrion has passed on, just before he takes Brienne to see Cat. He also told Brienne Cat was days dead, and it SOUNDED as though he NEVER would have brought Cat back, but Dondarrion did. So . .

- Does that mean there is limit to the amount of times a man can be brought back to life?

- Does the amount of time spent dead make a person more, I don't know, Mental? Difficult? Or impossible to bring back?

In A Feast For Crows, Thoros told Brienne Dondarrion has passed on, just before he takes Brienne to see Cat. He also told Brienne Cat was days dead, and it SOUNDED as though he NEVER would have brought Cat back, but Dondarrion did. So . .

- Does that mean there is limit to the amount of times a man can be brought back to life?

- Does the amount of time spent dead make a person more, I don't know, Mental? Difficult? Or impossible to bring back?

Well, when you see how Lady Stoneheart turned out... I think you can understand easily why Thoros refused to bring her back to life.

Just... somebody kill the bitch please.

Judging from the two who have come back, they become ever so much more so as they were. Older: Moldier.

Well, when you see how Lady Stoneheart turned out... I think you can understand easily why Thoros refused to bring her back to life.

Just... somebody kill the bitch please.

I was a little dismayed but Nymeria pulled her from the river (possibly as Arya) with good intentions

Knights traditionally kept three horses. Knights' horses, destriers and coursers, were often used for war and so there was the risk of war horses being killed in battle so knights needed spare horses in case one died in battle.

Why do Knights have 2-3 horses?

Don't the horses travel the same distance?

Means if you have 3, the other 2 gets tired as well? What's the purpose?

I can see several reasons :

• In case, some horse is sick or dies ;
  • Your squires can use the other horses ;
  • If a horse isn't mounted, he probably gets less tired. You can then change your mount when one is tired.
  • Horses can be used to carry stuff (though mules are better...) ?
  • It's better to have more than one horse when you joust at tournaments... cause your horse is ransomed.

Ineed to know who this fat guy is.... its at Harrenhall when arya is there looking around....

No one ransomed the northmen, though. One fat lordling haunted the kitchens, Hot Pie told her, always looking for a morsel. His mustache was so bushy that it covered his mouth, and the clasp that held his cloak was a silver-and-sapphire trident. He belonged to Lord Tywin, but the fierce, bearded young man who liked to walk the battlements alone in a black cloak patterned with white suns had been taken by some hedge knight who meant to get rich off him. Sansa would have known who he was, and the fat one too, but Arya had never taken much interest in titles and sigils.

Its the person with the silver -sappire trident i need to know. Is it a Manderley???

Thanks in advance!

EDIT - WYLIS MANDERLY?

Archived