The thread for small questions, version XXI

Stubby

I agree that there is something very fishy about honorable Ned burying his brother and sister in the crypts where only Lords of Winterfell are laid to rest. Seems almost out of character for him.

What? The text says that "only the kings and lords of Winterfell are supposed to have statues in their likeness". We really have no way of knowing how many people are buried in the crypts. While a tomb is covered with the statue of a king, it might also contain the bones of his family members who are simply not commemorated in statues or inscriptions. Conversely some tombs may be cenotaphs, in cases where the Starks failed to recover the remains of one of their leaders.

Does anyone know how old Edric Storm is?

Stannis Baratheon and Selyse Florent were married in 287 AL and Edric was conceived on their wedding night. He is assumed to have been born 7 to 9 months later. Thus in 288 AL. He is currently 12-years-old.

The other characters estimated to have been born in 288 AL are Colmar Frey, Merianne Frey, Joy Hill, Trystane Martell, Obella Sand, and Larence Snow. They are a year older than Shireen Baratheon, Arya Stark, and Missandei who are all 11-years-old in 300 AL.

The clothes rmholt mentions are another hint that YG spent time in Illyrio´s house.

Which if confirmed resolves five missing years in Aegon's timeline. Jon Connington confirms that 17 years have passed since the Sack of King's Landing. But he has raised Aegon for the last 12 years. There a 5 years unaccounted for.

Right hopefully this hasan't been covered before , I've really only skimmed through this thread .

Jamie's POV in AFFC mentions Rheagar saying " When this battle's done I mean to call a council. Changes will be made. I meant to do it long ago, but...well, it does no good to speak of roads not taken."

I'm curious to know if it's been made clear why he din't do it long ago and specifically why the road was not "taken" or really in general what he was talking about there.

Right hopefully this hasan't been covered before , I've really only skimmed through this thread .

Jamie's POV in AFFC mentions Rheagar saying " When this battle's done I mean to call a council. Changes will be made. I meant to do it long ago, but...well, it does no good to speak of roads not taken."

I'm curious to know if it's been made clear why he din't do it long ago and specifically why the road was not "taken" or really in general what he was talking about there.

It is not clear as for now, but it might be that he wanted to end the rule of his father, who was seen as mad and steered by paranoia. Personally I think that the Baratheon-Stark-Tully coalition may have also triggered Rhaegar in the idea that something had to be done about the political situation. Robert's Rebellion was not something that came out of the blue, I suppose. ETA And relations with Dorne were tricky, House Martell was not happy about how Elia was treated.

Which if confirmed resolves five missing years in Aegon's timeline. Jon Connington confirms that 17 years have passed since the Sack of King's Landing. But he has raised Aegon for the last 12 years. There a 5 years unaccounted for.

Right, be couldn't he have lived in Illyrio's without being his son? Just like he sheltered Dany and Viserys? This does account for the timeline though, it seems most logical.

In ASOS, Meera tells Bran what happened to her father at the Tourney at Harrenhal. There has been some speculation as to who the Knight of the Laughing Tree was (Ned, Lyanna, Benjen). Meera's story mentions a Night's Watch recruiter aswell the knight being small. If young Benjen (the Pup) was the knight, could it be possible that Howland Reed named Jojen after Benjen?There was a Benfred Tallhart.

In ASOS, Meera tells Bran what happened to her father at the Tourney at Harrenhal. There has been some speculation as to who the Knight of the Laughing Tree was (Ned, Lyanna, Benjen). Meera's story mentions a Night's Watch recruiter aswell the knight being small. If young Benjen (the Pup) was the knight, could it be possible that Howland Reed named Jojen after Benjen?There was a Benfred Tallhart.

yeah, maybe 'jo' from someone else's name and 'jen' from benjen. I'm still curious about benjen, by the way, although at this point we don't really know whether the question about his relevance is a small or big one. I'm actually hoping he plays an important part on the grand scheme of things, as it seemed at first that he had a connection with jon snow (I even thought he might be his father but now I'm for r+l=j) and his whereabouts are still a mystery. maybe he's found something on the far north that could be the key to the whole others debacle.

What? The text says that "only the kings and lords of Winterfell are supposed to have statues in their likeness". We really have no way of knowing how many people are buried in the crypts. While a tomb is covered with the statue of a king, it might also contain the bones of his family members who are simply not commemorated in statues or inscriptions. Conversely some tombs may be cenotaphs, in cases where the Starks failed to recover the remains of one of their leaders.

Right but Lyanna and Brandon have statues built in their likeness.

Ok, the Others fight with swords. So it can be assumed they have blacksmiths. So would it be safe to assume that they have a social class system and possibly a city or cities? Is it possible they have different factions? Or are they just mindless puppets of The Great Other?

It is not clear as for now, but it might be that he wanted to end the rule of his father, who was seen as mad and steered by paranoia. Personally I think that the Baratheon-Stark-Tully coalition may have also triggered Rhaegar in the idea that something had to be done about the political situation. Robert's Rebellion was not something that came out of the blue, I suppose. ETA And relations with Dorne were tricky, House Martell was not happy about how Elia was treated.

Yeah I figured he wanted to end his fathers rule or something to that effect. My feeling when I read that was that he wanted to do something about Aerys quite a while before Robert's Rebellion and for some reason decided not to approach his father. I've read the books a couple of times now and can't seem to find if it was elaborated on. I don't think we'll get an explanation one way or the other , it is quite a minor thing

Ok, the Others fight with swords. So it can be assumed they have blacksmiths. So would it be safe to assume that they have a social class system and possibly a city or cities? Is it possible they have different factions? Or are they just mindless puppets of The Great Other?

I'd say neither. They make their swords with magic (GRRM confirmed the swords are from ice, but they can do interesting stuff with ice - i.e. magic). Still, I think they have a (tribal and primitive) social structure, and are by no means mindless puppets. We don't even know if there's a great other but that's another point.

Hi, I'm looking at a quote that claims 'the flames don't lie'.... (regarding Fire premonitions)

I'm looking for contradictorary evidence that shws the flames have deceievd/lied/misled.

Thanks in advance, Yolkboy.

Hi, I'm looking at a quote that claims 'the flames don't lie'.... (regarding Fire premonitions)

I'm looking for contradictorary evidence that shws the flames have deceievd/lied/misled.

Thanks in advance, Yolkboy.

It's not going to be really helpful, but when she's wrong, Mel usually says "The flames are not wrong, they can just be misinterpreted".

As an example - from the top of my head - Arya coming to the Wall (when it was really Alys Karstark)

It's not going to be really helpful, but when she's wrong, Mel usually says "The flames are not wrong, they can just be misinterpreted".

As an example - from the top of my head - Arya coming to the Wall (when it was really Alys Karstark)

Ah, that is helpful! The flames being misread is also of my interests. Much thanks Fittle!

Anymore for anymore?

Ah, that is helpful! The flames being misread is also of my interests. Much thanks Fittle!

Anymore for anymore?

Well, misinterpretation and maybe a proof that the flames ARE right after all:

In her only POV, she says "I'm asking for Azor Ahai, but all the flames are showing me is Snow (capital S)". Well, take the hint, damn it!

There are different theories, one really interesting is that earlier, Mel was seeing Stannis when she asked for AA only because he was the means of transportation to the real AA (Jon). There are relly interesting threads, just search in the engine with keyword Melisandre.

Anymore for anymore?

It's pretty vague. Every time you are wrong, you blame yourself. Also the obsidian candle flames. Also the source is Mel! Also, Moqorro doesnt need flames - he saw Victarion's health situation while he was hanging off a tree in th middle of the ocean. (He told Victarion where ships etc would be and I dont recall he needed flames but my memory isnt the best)

I lean toward Mel's interp though, as I take the maegi and teh HotU and Quaithe and the lady at High Heart as telling only the truth, in their own way.

Archived