"Targaryens are Fireproof" and Other Common Misconceptions

J. Stargaryen

About Lyanna and Arya/Sansa.

IIRC, both Arya and Lyanna are said to have a touch of the wolf-blood. This is what leads Ned to making the comparison between Lyanna and Arya.

Sansa couldn't be any further from having the wolf-blood. This is why I just don't see any similarities between Lyanna and Sansa.

Me neither. None. Zero. Zip. Other than the same last name I see no similarityi in their personalities.

Lyanna was a rebel, super athletic, who could outride many men, she was willing to flout convention [Knight of the Laughing Tree] and oh, yeah, running off with the Prince, claimed by everyone to have the "wolf blood" which made her wild.

Sansa? Not athletic. Not a rebel. Doesn't defy convention, is in fact, uber-conventional, conventional to a fault. Never ever mentioned by anyone as having even a drop of the wolf blood.

Can anyone imagine Sansa sticking up for some random guy from the neck just because he was one one of her father's bannermen and then demanding he be given a seat at the Stark table? Um, no.

Me neither. None. Zero. Zip. Other than the same last name I see no similarityi in their personalities.

Lyanna was a rebel, super athletic, who could outride many men, she was willing to flout convention [Knight of the Laughing Tree] and oh, yeah, running off with the Prince, claimed by everyone to have the "wolf blood" which made her wild.

Sansa? Not athletic. Not a rebel. Doesn't defy convention, is in fact, uber-conventional, conventional to a fault. Never ever mentioned by anyone as having even a drop of the wolf blood.

Can anyone imagine Sansa sticking up for some random guy from the neck just because he was one one of her father's bannermen and then demanding he be given a seat at the Stark table? Um, no.

Yep. Tyrion says Sansa is dutiful to a fault -- something I couldn't imagine being said about Lyanna:

Quote1:

She is nothing if not dutiful, this wife of mine. If he told her that he wished to have her maidenhead tonight, she would suffer that dutifully as well, and weep no more than she had to.

--Tyrion reflecting on Sansa

Rather than suffering through it all, Lyanna would have kicked Tyrion's teeth in.

Selling out your family is something Starks don't do. It's not for nothing she has no direwolf.

Should we ask Lyanna about that? How her `abduction` led to the death of her brother and father. As I said, Lyanna and Sansa share quite a bit.

Except the fact that Lord Rickard had to forbid Lyanna from swordplay and forced her to be a lady. The fact that she cried during a song only shows that she possesses emotion.

There are no instances where Sansa and Lyanna are directly compared, whereas we have dozens of references to Arya being everything short of a clone of Lyanna.

If we are going to compare only those characters somebody compared in the books, we wouldn`t have much job. In literary world, sometimes parallels are far more subtle than looks and wolf-blood.

We don't know much about Lyanna, but clearly Lyanna had romantic ideas and was sentimental. Things that perfectly describe Sansa. GOT Sansa may not have stuck up for someone from the Neck like Lyanna, but Sansa is still only 13 by DWD and she is already at that point by the end of DWD.

Remember Dontos, or Margery, where Sansa did put her neck for both of them.

Yeah but Lyanna cried once because of a song so I think you will find they are actually basically the same person. Lyanna probably half warged Ned when she died and the when Sansa was born Ned passed Lyanna's spirit into the new born baby. This is the most plausible explanation I can think of for why Sansa is so much like Lyanna.

I suggest you re-read the tale of the knight of the laughing tree if you really think it compares to anything that Sansa has ever done. Having the truth about Joff dragged out of her by the QOT while eating lemon cakes is not really parallel to beating up three squires with a tourney sword, LOL.

I suggest you re-read the tale of the knight of the laughing tree if you really think it compares to anything that Sansa has ever done. Having the truth about Joff dragged out of her by the QOT while eating lemon cakes is not really parallel to beating up three squires with a tourney sword, LOL.

Actually it is. Sansa was also in great danger, just like Lyanna. Neither of them thought of their actions and their primary goal was to protect someone they felt sorry for. Lyanna did it on one way and Sansa on another. The essence is what matter, not the act itself. And they both showed great deal of bravery with those acts.

I remember Dontos, but I'm not sure what you meantby Margery.

Anyway, Sansa certainly has a kind heart. But that is not enough to say two people are similar.

Lyanna's defining characteristic seems to be her rebelliousness. You just can't say the same about Sansa.

Are we going to that Mycah incident again... She was that naive, and I can`t get how people see her both understanding all the intricacies of the Game and being stupid. Make a choice, for God`s sake. Either she is back-stabbing player, or a pawn. YOu can`t have it both ways.

As for selling out family, she just showed how close she is to Stark roots. Arya maybe got Lyanna`s looks, but Sansa got her heart and soul.

Speaking of the Mycah incident, it was Cersei, who had her own direwolf put to death, albeit Lady was clearly blameless.

Really, Sansa should have gotten a clue that Cersei is not to be trusted.

Anyway, I wonder why people make it a contest which Stark sister resembles Lyanna more; as far as I am concerned, she was not a perfect idol. There's nothing wrong with not being like Lyanna.

Actually it is. Sansa was also in great danger, just like Lyanna. Neither of them thought of their actions and their primary goal was to protect someone they felt sorry for. Lyanna did it on one way and Sansa on another. The essence is what matter, not the act itself. And they both showed great deal of bravery with those acts.

It is a massive over reach. If Lyanna and Sansa are alike because they both have done good things then "alike" ceases to have any real meaning.

• Even if R+L=J Jon Snow has to still be a bastard because Rhaegar was already married.
    Targaryens have been involved in polygamous marriage in the past. Targaryen Family Tree

I don't see how a secret marriage would make anything legit, honestly it just sounds like fanfiction made by people who want their favourite character to be more than a bastard.

As Lyanna did for Rickard and Brandon... We can do this all night...

Not really, since there isn't enough information to judge Lyanna's degree of fault in the death of Rickard and Brandon.

We know exactly what Sansa did and the motivation behind her actions when she lied to Robert and when she went to Cersei. Just saying.

I remember Dontos, but I'm not sure what you meantby Margery.

Anyway, Sansa certainly has a kind heart. But that is not enough to say two people are similar.

Lyanna's defining characteristic seems to be her rebelliousness. You just can't say the same about Sansa.

There are few more things about Lyanna than we know, that are carefully drawn from story about KotLT. Thing is, Lyannna wasn`t just a rebel, she was compassionate, emotionally mature woman. She and Sansa doesn`t share manners or the exteriority, but what`s deep inside of them is very unique and there you can make comparisons between them. Ned didn`t know Lyanna very well. After all, he was raised in Eyrie. And he, just like Sansa, was defending Robert in front of family.

As for Margaery, Sansa knew there was a great danger if someone hears what she tells Margaery, not mentioning when she realized that wedding might be cancelled. But she told them the truth. She told QOT and Margaery the truth that no one would ever say to them. In her own way, Sansa did protect Margery by giving her info about Joffrey.

Not really, since there isn't enough information to judge Lyanna's degree of fault in the death of Rickard and Brandon.

We know exactly what Sansa did and the motivation behind her actions when she lied to Robert and when she went to Cersei. Just saying.

True. But there is a reasonable doubt Lyanna was never abducted. So, if you argue that Sansa`s telling to Cersei Ned`s plans led to his death, Lyanna running away led to deaths of her brother and father.

It is a massive over reach. If Lyanna and Sansa are alike because they both have done good things then "alike" ceases to have any real meaning.

Not quite. The fact is Sansa fought with what she had, and Lyanna too. Sansa fought with lies, Lyanna with spear. As I said already, acts are different, but their essence is the same.

There are few more things about Lyanna than we know, that are carefully drawn from story about KotLT. Thing is, Lyannna wasn`t just a rebel, she was compassionate, emotionally mature woman. She and Sansa doesn`t share manners or the exteriority, but what`s deep inside of them is very unique and there you can make comparisons between them. Ned didn`t know Lyanna very well. After all, he was raised in Eyrie. And he, just like Sansa, was defending Robert in front of family.

What is this shared uniqueness between Lyanna and Sansa? If it's kindness then I would argue that is not so unique as you believe, and it certainly is not enough to judge two characters as alike. There are different ways to be kind, and I just don't think Sansa and Lyanna displayed their kindness in the same way. This is why I don't see the two as alike.

Not to mention when people think of Sansa, they usually think of duty and passivity -- a pawn.

Lyanna on the other hand is very much active -- taking things into her own hands.

As for Margaery, Sansa knew there was a great danger if someone hears what she tells Margaery, not mentioning when she realized that wedding might be cancelled. But she told them the truth. She told QOT and Margaery the truth that no one would ever say to them. In her own way, Sansa did protect Margery by giving her info about Joffrey.

I suspected this is what you meant. I guess we see it differently. To me Sansa was being sweet talked into spilling the beans. I don't see her doing it for the sake of Margery. I won't argue this is the right interpretation. To each his own, I guess.

Archived