Why is Sam still fat?

Rolex Baratheon

Kudo's to you! :bowdown: Keep up the good work!

I think this particular discussion is indeed relevant (although the question has been raised and answered in earlier threads).

In my post I was referring to the use of condescending and disdainful remarks.

Why thank you Mr.Forum user xD

(this forum is filled with nice people... I must be in some other internetz)

Nooo...

It's a relevant discussion. I used to weight 60KG at the age of 11 (I was 4ft) that was in the overweight/nearly obese section. I know what it is to be fat, I also know what it is to train everyday and diet once you've dedicated yourself to loosing fat. And, unless it's a medical issue, by all rights and biological laws, Samwell Tarly should be thin by now.

Not Arnol, but at least like that guy from HBO Rome: Marcus Agrippa.

But this could also be psychological. I've known massive men (and I mean bodybuilders) who look at themselves in the mirror and see little twigs. Like grils with anorexia, they see themselves as huge monsters when they are actually dangerously underweight. We only see Sam through Sam's POV, and people only see Sam with very bulky armour on, the one he's been wearing his entire watch on the Wall. So to other people he might look no different, yet it seems strange that Jon wouldn't notice cheekbones/hollow cheeks/dark circles.

The guy's a walking larder then xD

I hear what you're saying, I really do. But there have been numerous posts recently about fat characters, people, etc. And they're not coming from a place of 'Gee, I'm really concerned about this character's health.'

It's pretty much bashing and making fun.

I have no idea why Martin has written the character to still be overweight, but to me, the biggest reason is that In Sam, I am supposed to understand that his worth is not in how he looks, or how well he can or can't fight, but in his soul. Sam is good. He feels empathy for others, and is willing to inconvenience himself tremendously in order to help others. He's the least selfish, self centered POV in the whole series.

I don't give a crap why he's still fat. He's hella awesome, and if the world had more SAMs, it would be a much better place, IMO.

ETA: congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome!

Rains, I in no way wanted to belittle your approach to do good things to your body. This is wonderful and I am very much into sports myself, despite being rather nerdy. I have the highest respect for your achievements.

But we are talking here on a very diffferent level, yours was straightforward logic coming from your own experiences.

Mine was to argue why Martin here, for the sake of a meta level story and character development, had to neglect logic.

Edit: and Sam is definitely one of my favorite characters!

I hear what you're saying, I really do. But there have been numerous posts recently about fat characters, people, etc. And they're not coming from a place of 'Gee, I'm really concerned about this character's health.'

Nah. It's just that Martin does a terrific job in creating a world that seems very real. And then there are holes where reality seems give way to creative license. Sam would be much thinner given his adventures. It's just truth.

He is meant to be one of the more respectable and honorable characters in the series. And it's fine that he's also fat. He just wouldn't be (as fat, or fat at all) if he had undergone such turbulent, hunger inducing, and calorie-burning trials and tribulations as he has.

I have no idea why Martin has written the character to still be overweight, but to me, the biggest reason is that In Sam, I am supposed to understand that his worth is not in how he looks, or how well he can or can't fight, but in his soul. Sam is good. He feels empathy for others, and is willing to inconvenience himself tremendously in order to help others. He's the least selfish, self centered POV in the whole series.

I don't give a crap why he's still fat. He's hella awesome, and if the world had more SAMs, it would be a much better place, IMO.

ETA: congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome!

And also thanks for the post. Still, I think I've been ranting on about Sam's health for far too long. It's the author's decision, and I feel that it has more to do with symbolism and metaphorical use of characterisation than anything else.

Rains, I in no way wanted to belittle your approach to do good things to your body. This is wonderful and I am very much into sports myself, despite being rather nerdy. I have the highest respect for your achievements.

But we are talking here on a very diffferent level, yours was straightforward logic coming from your own experiences.

Mine was to argue why Martin here, for the sake of a meta level story and character development, had to neglect logic.

Edit: and Sam is definitely one of my favorite characters!

Yeah sorry, I get a little touchy with weight loss subjects. As I said on my previous post. I think Martin's idea of Sam having 'handicaps' is to go past these obstacles and achieve things despite of them.

We have to give the guy a hand! Survived the Fist, killed an Other, survived the walk back to the Wall and got laid. The dude's a beast. I don't know where "craven" comes from xD

Archived