Why is Sam still fat?

Rolex Baratheon

Well I think that he having a limited diet at the wall and increase in amount of physical work he would have lost some weight. Having little or no food while in Bravos, and then having to work on the ship that brought him back, again with only a small amount of food he would have lost 100 pounds are more in the 2+ years since he got to the wall.

While it could be that he was so fat that he is still fat, I would think he would have at some point notice that his clothes didn't fit him very well any more. Other then his sword belt kept falling while running from the Others, nothing.

I think he should be have the man he was when he got to the wall.

Personnaly, I think he is just made like that. I suppose this is redundant. That is how I like him though. Had he been made skinny, he would not have the same impact. Especialy when called The Slayer. Sam The Slayer <3

It will turn out for the best though..

Tyrek Lannister is in Oldtown, so Sam will be his first customer - once Tyrek becomes a maester and invents the breastplate stretcher.

Then Sam will march on Horn Hill and reclaim what's his with fire and ham.

A stone is 14 pounds. A measurement used in Britain.

All this time I thought one stone was 20 pounds.

Well, we haven't had anyone else describe Sam since He left the wall. Maybe he has lost weight. Maybe he is skinny but he still views himself as fat. My biggest issue with the Sam being fat thing was when he was escaping the fist he was marching constantly with little food and almost no sleep for weeks. he would have lost like 50 pounds doing that.

Arya did.

Dietary fat doesn't make a person fat on its own. Sam should be FAR slimmer than he was when he first left for the wall, regardless of "stress" or the amount of bacon he's been eating since arrival at the wall.

Epic obesity is a modern phenomenon, except perhaps within royalty of an early time period. Which Sam surely was. But is no longer.

The truth of obesity stems from heavily sweetened and high carbohydrate foods. Sure, Sam was eating plenty of beer soaked bread, but the overall level of sugar and carbohydrate consumption MUST have fallen substantially from his time at his ancestral home. Sam started living a warrior's lifestyle, even including long periods of low-calorie consumption coupled with moderate - to - high activity. The pastries and crap that he grew up eating were a thing of the past.

Recently losing a large amount of weight while consuming a half pound of bacon per day has wisened me up to the true cause of obesity. Either Sam has lost a lot of weight and won't admit it to himself, or Martin doesn't understand nutrition and diet, which would be excusable because most Americans don't understand either.

I blame his steward status. If he'd been named to the builders, then he'd be working off those pounds lifting stones and toting hay bails. He'd be adding muscle and burning fat. It's tough to lose weight as a steward. Born in a world without access to the miraculous As Seen on TV weight loss products we know and love for their proven effectiveness, he's got no chance to trim that wasteline.

Its not like he stopped eating. He has access to lots of meat. Sausage, pork, chicken all that stuff and the cook at cb makes desert every night, IIRC. He probably lost some weight but is still fat.

The Wall should be rationed, not to mention the guy must walk over 4/5 hours every day, that's twice the average cardio workout he needs, but in cold temperatures the body burns more energy in order to keep warm. I have no doubt in my mind that he should be bulky, or at least much thinner than before.

Martin isn't a nutritionist, that you can tell (and not because of his phyical appearence, but through his writing. A healthy diet comes first, and feasting on red-meat every two seconds will not get your body as Martin describes.)

Samwell Tarly, should not be fat anymore, it's that simple. The NW won't let him gorge himself as he once did, and all that excersise + armour would provide for a very healthy workout. Yes he's a steward, but spends all day walking.

Plus his days Beyond the Wall should have lost him a tremendous amount of weight.

But noooo, Martin decides that Sam looses weight because his diet consists of fruit now -.-

The thing I notice in the ASoIaF world is that ....

they eat a LOT of meat!

I'm serious. They eat all sorts of meat cooked in honey and baked in grease and stuffed with olives and all these things. If I lived in a world like that, I would sooner stop eating meat because all of it would make me sick ... ugh.

I blame his steward status. If he'd been named to the builders, then he'd be working off those pounds lifting stones and toting hay bails. He'd be adding muscle and burning fat. It's tough to lose weight as a steward. Born in a world without access to the miraculous As Seen on TV weight loss products we know and love for their proven effectiveness, he's got no chance to trim that wasteline.

Nothing works better than "anal seepage," :stillsick: which was a real side affect of one of those horrific gimics they were hawking on late-night TV.

Perhaps he has slimmed, but it's not been noticed due to him being naturally bulky, and having most of his fat being replaced by muscle. We know that Sam has a crippling lack of self-esteem, and continues to see himself as a "fat craven", so he's not going to tell us "I'm slim now". Maybe it was being with Gilly that caused him to notice that he was starting to bulk up at the end of AFFC. Furthermore, given the "we just escaped from the Others and only barely beat Mance Rayder" atmosphere that pervaded Castle Black when he returned at the end of ASOS, I doubt someone would think to point out "wow, Sam, you're muscly".

Nothing works better than "anal seepage," :stillsick: which was a real side affect of one of those horrific gimics they were hawking on late-night TV.

I hope it wasn't something from "Trusted Guthy Rencor" (sp) ! (The company that keeps telling you they're 'trusted', which I find funny because that's not really how trust should work. If the way you establish trust is by telling people to trust you over and over until they do, that's brainwashing baby! Which Americans seem ready and willing to embrace. :ack: I often get the sense that we're still free only because it suits our our overseas creditors.)

Holy shit, Sam was 280 pounds originally? And he was able to walk? The man deserves respect. Pretty sure that if he managed to slim down, he'd have a lot of muscle on that frame. Got to, to support that weight.

What's more impressive is that Small Paul carried him through the haunted forest. Can you imagine carrying that much?

Also, it turns out Sam isn't actually fat. We had a vote.

What's more impressive is that Small Paul carried him through the haunted forest. Can you imagine carrying that much?

Also, it turns out Sam isn't actually fat. We had a vote.

Ahh yes, the Fatmoot. The Yellow Whale won that. Sam wasn't even picked I don't think.

Archived