Could Cersei have sent Ned to the wall?

Barty

Sure, Cersei can clap Ned in irons and put him on a boat for Eastwatch, but the second that boat lands in the North - Ned is free to go to Winterfell unless there are guards with Ned. And even if there are, when Robb hears that Ned has been sent to the wall he will just get a thousand men together to greet said ship at east watch and bring Ned home. Ned shouldn't protest because he hasn't said his vows to join the Night's Watch yet.

What about when his 15 year old son tells him that he's going to war against Tywin Lannister?? Ned would be willing to break a promise to Cersei to protect his son surely??

Possible, but i see Ned sending ravens to Winterfell and other northern areas in secret to get guys rallying behind Robb. Ned was the very guy who would exact justice on Night's Watch deserters. He knew the consequences of deserting. I doubt he would do it.

I think Cersei knows that when Ned would accept this offer he would be too honorable to ever abandon the Night's Watch even if he hasn't said his vows yet.

Yes, I agree. Cersei also realized that he would keep his promise too.

What about when his 15 year old son tells him that he's going to war against Tywin Lannister?? Ned would be willing to break a promise to Cersei to protect his son surely??

Nope, he would go to the wall, I have no doubt. I think if Ned had been left alive, it's much less likely that Robb would have gone to war. Remember, the Whispering Wood happened after Ned was killed.

He would've gone to the Wall, the North would have been less angry and hence kicked less Lannister ass in the Riverlands, Jaime may not have been captured like that since Robb would not have been desperate for a hostage and the war would be less severe. The Red Wedding could also perhaps be avoided.

And the Night's Watch would become ten times stronger.

Yes, I do think Cersei would have gone through with it, and Ned would have remained true to his word and stayed at the Wall. Though Cersei isn't the most adept player of the game of thrones (see AFfC), see was smart enough to know that a live Ned Stark (even if he was at the Wall) was better than a dead Ned Stark.

Ned's honor should force him to not join the Night's Watch. He knows Joffrey has no claim to the throne and that Stannis is the true heir - His honor will force him to take up arms against the Lannisters and join Stannis. He will do his duty rather than honor a promise given at swordpoint to his best friend's murderer.

She could have requested him to tell the words of the oath in King's Landing, I presume. Because, frankly, why not? He could then repeat them at the presence of the Old Bear, if needed.

Would Jeor Mormont have allowed Ned to swear his oaths, assuming that he was allowed to travel to the Wall before saying them? From Commander Mormont's perspective, he would have the Lord of Winterfell, his brother and his son all at the Wall, and all in/being trained for/naturally assuming positions of command. Although Ned would be too honourable to ignore any vows he took, Mormont doesn't know that, and might worry about the Starks trying to seize control of the Night's Watch and add it to the North's holdings. If he can find a way to sideline Ned by, say, not allowing him to actually join the Night's Watch, then he can avoid a whole lot of trouble in the future.

Cersei would have sent Ned to the Wall by sea (it would be idiotic do otherwise; the Stark bannermen would never let him reach the Wall), and once there, "The Night Watch takes no part"; no matter what he promised to Cersei, Ned would be honor-bound to not intervene, so Robb would have done as he saw fit; he could ask for his dad's advice, but if Ned doesn't want him to bend the knee, he has the perfect alibi for not telling him to do so ("I swore Cersei I would make Robb bend the knee, but as a member of the NW, I have made an oath to not take sides, so I guess one thing balances the other").

Sansa and Arya would be a problem, but Robb would probably just remain in the North, close Moat Cailin, and refuse to take orders from the Iron Throne so long as his sisters weren't returned to him; the situtation would be very similar to Dorne's.

I believe Ned's honour would prevent him from going back on his word if he swore to Cersei and Joffery and anyone else present that he would go to the Wall without any troubles.

If Northmen or his son Robb tried to help him he would tell them not to.

Of course I don't know for sure but that's what I think about the situation.

Yes. Robb and Catelyn are far less pissed off than otherwise, and a marriage between Sansa and Joffrey is once again possible. Ned would probably be the Old Bear's successor (provided he doesn't get killed ranging), the Lannisters are in a far stronger position to defeat Renly and Stannis, and there are no Ironborn in the North. At most the Starks will just bide their time (like Dorne).

Would Jeor Mormont have allowed Ned to swear his oaths, assuming that he was allowed to travel to the Wall before saying them? From Commander Mormont's perspective, he would have the Lord of Winterfell, his brother and his son all at the Wall, and all in/being trained for/naturally assuming positions of command.

No. He would have Ned Stark, brother of the Night's Watch. Ned wouldn't be the Lord of Winterfell any more that Jeor Mormont was the Lord of Bear Island. High-born recruits, even ones with royal blood, weren't anything new for the NW, and I don't recollect the Watch rejecting any recruit ever. You suggest the Watch breaking the tradition and simultaneously openly defying the Iron Throne here. That would lead to a lot of trouble.

Archived