Things I've noticed after a re-read

Altherion

Maybe this one is too obvious, but the old gnarled guy in the Nights Watch scouting party that gets attacked by the Others in the Prologue of AGOT-- -- This is the same old deserter from the NW who Ned executes in Chapter 1.

"In Damphairs chapters or ones that he's in why are his feet described as black? It confused me and made me think he was black at first. But then I thought that can't be because he is brothers with Balon and euron and vitarion and they are def not black."

Only reason I know this is because I literally read it last night...in one of the Brienne chapters, with the Septon, it says...

"...he had the biggest feet that Brienne had ever sene, bare and black and hard as horn.

'I have not worn a shoe in twenty years," he told Brienne. "The first year, I had more blisters than I had toes, and my soles bleed like pigs whenever I trod on a hard stone, but I prayed and the Cobbler Above turned by skin to leather.'"

...so I assume Damphair's feet are black because he doesn't wear shoes, like the Septon. That's what I think anyway.

Yup, same thing with the hornfoot tribes beyond the wall

When Tyrion is asking Cersei why in the name of the seven they sent Barristan packing, Cersei answers Joffrey wanted to blame someone for Robert's death and Varys suggested Barristan.

Also, later on, Varys tells Tyrion about the comet. He says people call it the Red Herald, it precedes the coming of a king, and warns us there will be Blood and Fire. Osha uses the same two words (Blood and Fire) when speaking about the comet only a few pages later.

I also wanted to ask a question: knowing what we know about the murder of Jon Arryn, the pillow talk between Jaime and Cersei that is overheard by Bran before getting chucked out of the window strikes me as rather odd. Did anybody else have the same feeling?

mentat

"I don't get it..."(danyboy)

Black is a Targaryen colour :)

I didn't think it had to do with Black being a Targaryen color but as black being a color used when mourning for the dead. Like if he were to go to Robb's funeral and such.

Yes, I brought this up to GRRM in an e-mail and he said anything is possible. It would be sad if Bradamar dies though as he was part of the branch of the good Freys.

I'm going to keep my postive hat on and see it as a way home :) theyre around the same age (i think)

I also wanted to ask a question: knowing what we know about the murder of Jon Arryn, the pillow talk between Jaime and Cersei that is overheard by Bran before getting chucked out of the window strikes me as rather odd. Did anybody else have the same feeling?

mentat

yeh its like they are guilty of the crime even though it was lysa :S

Just conclude this, Robert Jordan's real name is James Rigney...I'm not sure if some people knew that.

WOW.

Black is a Targaryen colour :)

OOH! love it.

I mentioned this in a different thread, but in ASoS, when Jeyne Westerling meets with Catelyn to discuss her concerns for Robb after he executed Karstark, Cat ends the discussion by telling Jeyne that Robb needs an heir. Jeyne blushes, says they try every day, and that her mother is making her a mixture to help make her fertile.

In AFFC, Jeyne's mom tells Jaime that she had an agreement with Tywin to make sure that no heir was produced - she was giving Jeyne an anti-fertility mixture, prob. moon tea/tansy/whatever. My blood ran cold when I reread Jeyne's lines in ASoS.

Agreed, I absolutely love this thread, these tiny details make me SO happy.

Yes it is Dunk's shield and it appears she is the leading candidate to be Dunk's descendant that we have met.

I re-read ASoS after THK, and there was a Jaime chapter where says "Are you as thick as a castle wall, Brienne?" which totally convinced me she is the descendent! Well, that and her height...

And by the way, isn't Barristan's beard white?

Lysa poisoned Jon Arryn causing him to sicken, Pycelle tells Tyrion that Cersei "hinted" that she needed Jon Arryn to die... Cersei thought he was sickening naturally and wanted it to end up with him dying. so Lysa was killing Jon slowly and Pycelle hurried the job on cersei's behalf.

hmmm.. Black for Blackfyre?? Or just a coincidence?

Well it struck me as funny when I re-read it. Why would Jon say "Black was always my colour" ? It's one interpretation. Or it can mean nothing. I did notice it, though.

Barristan's beard is clearly identified as white. He is styled Whitebeard when he first meet Daenerys.

I don't think he was the recruit at the Wall.

Of course he wasn't.

It's rather evident that Varis made him fired specially to send him to Dany. Old eunuch would never want him to go to the Wall.

And everyone knew that Maester Aemon was too old to be useful for anything. So Barristan had no reason to go to the Wall.

Well it struck me as funny when I re-read it. Why would Jon say "Black was always my colour" ? It's one interpretation. Or it can mean nothing. I did notice it, though.

This is a good one! Black, as in black dragon? Like the other Targaryen bastard??

AGoT

Pg. 281 Paperback

"Ned touched the boy's head, fingering the thick black hair. 'Look at me, Gendry.' The apprentice lifted his face. Ned studied the shape of his jaw, the eyes like blue ice. Yes,he thought, I see it. 'Go back to your work, lad. I'm sorry to have bothered you.' He walked back to the house with the master. 'Who paid the boy's apprentice fee?' he asked lightly.

"Mott looked fretful. 'You saw the boy. Such a strong boy. Those hands of his, those hands were made for hammers.'"

This is a good one! Black, as in black dragon? Like the other Targaryen bastard??

Well the Targaryen coat of arms is a red dragon on a black field. Rhaegar's armour was notoriously black. That's all :) I wouldn't put it past GRR to make an in-joke like that, or simply do it to further confuse us ;)

As to the hands of a blacksmith, well blacksmithing/horse activities/farming does turn one's hands into shovels, unfortunately :D

Archived