Things I've noticed after a re-read

Altherion

I only re-read the series once, and a long time ago. I did notice A LOT of detail I missed the first time, but unfortunately I can't remember any, except for the part where Renly was showing Ned a picture of Margaery and asking him if she looked like Lyanna. I think he was trying to hook them up or something. Apparenly, Mace wanted his precious daughter to be Queen NO MATTER WHAT... Even if it was Old Drunken Roberts queen..

Everyone always misses this, but in AGoT, Renly laments that Tyrion wasn't at court, otherwise he would have won twice the gold he did from Littlefinger betting against Loras. Martin was very particular with this - it proves to the reader that Tyrion is innocent of Bran's murder early on, because it essentially demonstrates his story to Catelyn, i.e. that he never bets against his family.

In ASOS (US paperback pg. 889) Arya has a wolf dream in which she finds Cat in the river and pulls her to shore, "...something pale and white drifting down the river, turning where it brushed against a snag. The reeds bowed down to it."

I theorized that UnCat would visit Greywater Watch and in AFFC (pg. 452 US) we see that UnCat's party disappeared into the Neck.

One more thing to look forward to when Howland Reed takes the stage: his meeting with Cat.

It was so pathetically obvious, yet I just noticed it after a re-read:

When Pate, from the AFFC prolog, asks the alchemist "Who are you?", the alchemist answers "A stranger, no one, truly"...

This is so linked to him of many faces being represented by The Stranger in the cult of the Seven, and so typical of a faceless man to answer "no one" to "who are you"...

Made me laugh to think I had missed it on first read.

That's from the first conversation between Eddard and Littlefinger. At first it read as just some verbal jousting, but then I realized how cruel that comment is, when you consider how Eddard's father died -- roasted alive in his own armor by Aerys.
Just one more reason to hate LF, the smug git. Surely he'll have to go out with a bang like Tywin or Lysa, something dramatic and satisfying. DIE!!

"In Damphairs chapters or ones that he's in why are his feet described as black? It confused me and made me think he was black at first. But then I thought that can't be because he is brothers with Balon and euron and vitarion and they are def not black."

Only reason I know this is because I literally read it last night...in one of the Brienne chapters, with the Septon, it says...

"...he had the biggest feet that Brienne had ever sene, bare and black and hard as horn.

'I have not worn a shoe in twenty years," he told Brienne. "The first year, I had more blisters than I had toes, and my soles bleed like pigs whenever I trod on a hard stone, but I prayed and the Cobbler Above turned by skin to leather.'"

...so I assume Damphair's feet are black because he doesn't wear shoes, like the Septon. That's what I think anyway.

It was so pathetically obvious, yet I just noticed it after a re-read:

When Pate, from the AFFC prolog, asks the alchemist "Who are you?", the alchemist answers "A stranger, no one, truly"...

This is so linked to him of many faces being represented by The Stranger in the cult of the Seven, and so typical of a faceless man to answer "no one" to "who are you"...

Made me laugh to think I had missed it on first read.

Noticed on my re-read that Pate is dead after tasting the gold coin, so most likely the Dragon was poisoned. Damn those Faceless Men!

Pax.

When we first see the Reader, he remarks to Asha that "Archmaester Rigney believes that time is a wheel"...

Rigney = Robert Jordan.

I am now 100% sure GRRM spends a month on his books just to implement these lil things for us to find.

In ACOK, when Dany is in Qarth, she watches a fire mage performing in the bazaar. Quaithe tells her that "half a year gone, that man could scarcely wake fire from dragonglass."

We don't learn until the prologue of AFFC that dragonglass can be ignited--when Lazy Leo tells the other acolytes of the Citadel that that Archmaester Marwyn has a glass candle burning in his chambers.

Interesting that for their final test to become maesters, acolytes must spend the night in the darkness of the vault and try to light a glass candle, but since no one has done it yet it's considered an impossible task, yet there are mages across the sea who can do it. But only because of Dany's dragons.

Well, I caught this on my first read, but I've never seen anyone mentioning it: (although i haven't read every single thread here ^^)

in AFFC, Sam's first chapter, Jon says

"I have heard the same from others. King's blood, to wake a dragon. Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon, no one is quite sure. It's nonsense. Mance's blood is no more royal than mine own."

...whatever that's supposed to mean =D

Well, I caught this on my first read, but I've never seen anyone mentioning it: (although i haven't read every single thread here ^^)

in AFFC, Sam's first chapter, Jon says

"I have heard the same from others. King's blood, to wake a dragon. Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon, no one is quite sure. It's nonsense. Mance's blood is no more royal than mine own."

...whatever that's supposed to mean =D

Nice potential twist!

It's like that one:

"Robb looked relieved. "Good." He smiled. "The next time I see you, you'll be all in black."

Jon forced himself to smile back. "It was always my color. "

<titter>

Interesting that for their final test to become maesters, acolytes must spend the night in the darkness of the vault and try to light a glass candle, but since no one has done it yet it's considered an impossible task, yet there are mages across the sea who can do it. But only because of Dany's dragons.

SPOILER: aFfC
Maester ... Marwyn, is it? has a glass candle lit towards the end of the book. Sam is all aghast at that

Not just "one of the cats" -- the "real king of the castle," the hardest cat to catch. This isn't for certain, but somebody e-mailed GRRM about it and he said it's quite possible. It's in SSM.

It's where I took my original nickname from.

When Jon is asking to cross the Twins the second time Old Man Frey plays Come into My Castle with him. He says something like "Mayhaps a sausage, a glass of wine" or something similar that doesn't grant guest right IIRC.

When Brienne's in Duskendale, she has her shield repainted with a sigil she remembered from her father's armory: a tree with green leaves and a falling star. Sounds suspiciously like Dunk's sigil.

When we first see the Reader, he remarks to Asha that "Archmaester Rigney believes that time is a wheel"...

Rigney = Robert Jordan.

Just conclude this, Robert Jordan's real name is James Rigney...I'm not sure if some people knew that.

When Brienne's in Duskendale, she has her shield repainted with a sigil she remembered from her father's armory: a tree with green leaves and a falling star. Sounds suspiciously like Dunk's sigil.

Yes it is Dunk's shield and it appears she is the leading candidate to be Dunk's descendant that we have met.

I noticed in the appendix that theres a frey grandson for arya to meet in braavos :D

Yes, I brought this up to GRRM in an e-mail and he said anything is possible. It would be sad if Bradamar dies though as he was part of the branch of the good Freys.

Archived