Things I've noticed after a re-read

Altherion

Someone undoubtedly already caught this one, but here goes:

1) Stannis Baratheon is thought to be "the true iron" by his foes; additionally, Melisandre says that he is the reborn hero of light that will save the realms of man from the eternal dark. However,

1a) "Stannous" means a compound that contains tin, and

1b) There's a bit near the beginning of AGoT where Jon Snow convinces Aemon to let Sam out of training early, and he says that tin cannot be made into iron, no matter how hard you beat it.

And in book four, Aemon has a delirious vision in which he realizes that Stannis is not ferrous.

Someone undoubtedly already caught this one, but here goes:

1) Stannis Baratheon is thought to be "the true iron" by his foes; additionally, Melisandre says that he is the reborn hero of light that will save the realms of man from the eternal dark. However,

1a) "Stannous" means a compound that contains tin, and

1b) There's a bit near the beginning of AGoT where Jon Snow convinces Aemon to let Sam out of training early, and he says that tin cannot be made into iron, no matter how hard you beat it.

And in book four, Aemon has a delirious vision in which he realizes that Stannis is not ferrous.

Mhmm, Stannis is not referred to as "iron" by his foes, but by Donal Noye, who was a smith and warrior for the Baratheons before going to the wall... He tells Jon that Robert was true Steel, tempered and strong; Stannis was like Iron, hard but brittle; and Renly like Copper, shiny and malleable, but not very useful.

Ilyn Payne is thought to be illiterate. But in AFFC, when Jaime is talking to Longwaters, the chief undergaoler, Longwaters says he regularly sent reports to the King's Justice, i.e. Ilyn Payne. Can Ilyn really read or does he simply ignore the reports?

He ignores them, so longwaters can be as hypocritical as he wants about following rules.

Moving on, I found today in the AFFC appendix this:

-{Lysa Tully}, slain with a shove

It made me laugh loud.

This one is Duh material, but still, I just noticed it :D

Aemon Targaryen, who lived so long and known so many of his own family, and as such could recognize anybody half-Targaryen straight away, is conveniently blind. :/

I didn't catch this on my first read through ACoK, mainly because we didn't know about Robb's betrayal to the Freys yet. I'm sure others found it fairly obvious.

While in Harrenhal, Arya befriends one of the young Freys who is a squire (he has to push the barrel of sand with armor in it). In one of the later chapters, he is sitting on some steps crying and Arya can hear angry voices in the tower. Arya asks why he is crying and he makes some comment about how he now can't marry his princess and to mind her own business. Arya replies something about 'she hopes his stupid princess dies', or something like that.

She just wished herself dead.

I noticed that in The Hedge Knight, one of the knights that dies on the side of Dunk was Humphry Hardyng, and Sansa is going to marry Harrold Hardyng. It makes me happy because I liked Humphry...he's the knight who broke his leg when his horse was killed by Valarr. Glad to see he has heirs, and I wonder if Harrold will turn out to be as honorable as Humphry was.

Here is an interesting pair of quotes from Jaime's chapters:

ASOS:

An east wind blew through his tangled hair, as soft and fragrant as Cersei's fingers.

AFFC:

The sun was warm on his back and the wind riffled through his hair like a woman's fingers.

Clearly examplifies the change in Jaime

Jaime's weirwood-stump dream in ASOS ( http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Prophecies...s03b.html#Jaime and pages 609-612 in the US paperback.)

Applies pretty well in parts to Brienne's actions at the end of AFFC, assuming that the word Brienne screams is "Sword!" or some other acceptance of the assignment to hunt Jaime down.

Brienne points out to the ghosts of Jaime's fellow Kingsguard that she's sworn an oath to protect Jaime. The KG remind her that "We all swore oaths." Jaime and Brienne both have flaming swords in the dream and Cersei tells Jaime that when the flames of his sword die, so will he. At the end of the dream, his sword goes out and Brienne's continues to burn.

Keep in mind that at the time of the dream in ASOS, it's Brienne, not Jaime, who is in danger of dying....so there's at least the suggestion that this could refer to some larger course of events. Of course, it could just be a metaphor for the current situation, Jaime's old self dying, for example.

Has no one noticed this but me?

Quhuru Mo isn´t the only person to "reappear" in AFFC after having been mentioned in ASOS.

In the Dany chapter in ASOS in which Drogo sacked and burned the city of the lamb men, Mirri Maz Duur offered to treat his wounds. When she was asked where she had learned her healing trade, she says that a "maester from the sunset lands had opened a body for her".

She even remembers the maesters name: Marwyn!

Marwyn gives me the creeps.

Since my re-read is far from finished, I'll have to go from memory, but Jaime seems to become whiter as the series progresses. In aGoT he always wear Lannister gold and crimson, and in aFfC, he seems to wear white constantly.

Asha's Uncle "The Reader" (I think his name was Rodrik Harlaw?) also mentions Marwyn. Marwyn gave him a book that he's studying... wonder what's in that book?

Marwyn's everywhere!

Twas a book of portents or prophecies, I think.

I'll echo the sentiment of the above poster, this thread does also rejuvenate the memory, its good as i've read a huge volume of books since ASOIAF. So I tend to forget quite alot.

Archived