Again With the Small Questions

Datepalm

I was just re-reading in a ACoK Theon's dream of the "feast of the dead"(?) and was startled at the description of Lyanna wearing a "crown of pale blue roses and a white gown spattered with gore". Does anyone else think that it's a strange choice of words to describe somebody who presumably died of childbirth complications, when 'spattered with gore' is usually associated with violence?

I was just re-reading in a ACoK Theon's dream of the "feast of the dead"(?) and was startled at the description of Lyanna wearing a "crown of pale blue roses and a white gown spattered with gore". Does anyone else think that it's a strange choice of words to describe somebody who presumably died of childbirth complications, when 'spattered with gore' is usually associated with violence?

I guess you haven't attended many childbirths then?

I do. Especially given that Theon was sleeping in Eddard's weirwood bed. :uhoh:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I was wondering. Dragonglass is volcanic glass. That requires a volcano. That's why there's so much of it on Dragonstone. Where did the CotF get that much dragonglass to make all their daggers and give some to the NW too? (The question popped up in my head after considering what happened to Hardhome).

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I was wondering. Dragonglass is volcanic glass. That requires a volcano. That's why there's so much of it on Dragonstone. Where did the CotF get that much dragonglass to make all their daggers and give some to the NW too? (The question popped up in my head after considering what happened to Hardhome).

According to a semi-canon source there is a volcano near the Dreadfort.

Anyway it could have been obsydian from ancient volcanos. I live in Northern Italy and there aren't volcanos here, still sometimes we found preistoric obsydian weapons underground (especially near the lakes).

Obsydian might also form because of a metorite impact and many believe the God's Eye to be a meteor crater.

I guess you haven't attended many childbirths then?

I have actually been an active participant in childbirth a few times. :eek:

Spattered with gore, at least in my mind, is usually associated with a violent act like stabbing or bludgeoning.

I was just thinking it was a strange phrase to use...both by dictionary definition and by its connation when used elsewhere in the books:

From ACoK : Every bit of Ser Balon was spattered with gore and smudged by smoke. He raised his mace to point downriver. Bits of brain and bone clung to its head.

From ASoS: The Mountain whirled. Helm, shield, sword, surcoat; he was spattered with gore from head to heels.

So, if the generally accepted idea is that Lyanna died from childbirth complications, and that likely being puerperal fever, a white gown spattered with gore doesn't seem to fit. A white gown soaked with blood would seem to be a more apt description.

There isn't any evidence that the birth itself was difficult, as we seem to have a relatively healthy baby, at least one that is able to embark on a very long journey shortly thereafter. Even if it was a difficult birth, short of a C-section being performed, it still doesn't seem to follow that there would be blood, tissue and bones spattering her gown, and even then....

I realize this is from Theon's dream so perhaps cannot be taken as factual but the description of Robert's and Ned's injuries are correct.

I guess I'm wondering if Lyanna may have been involved in a violent confrontation either as a victim or a bystander sometime during the disappearance of R+L and if anyone else had found the phrase disturbing.

Edit: More to add but it will be bigger than a small question so will start a thread.

Archived