Rereading Tyrion

Lummel

N_S - Don't want to get too far afield about the Hand/hand incident as it was an aside and occurs much later. Would like to clarify that the hand is evidence of wights. The hand represents not only the need for men at the Wall, but also that something dangerous is happening. The hand represents the need for urgency, unity and action. Sadly, because Tryion puts off Thorne, the hand (the evidence) desintigrates; the evidence of wights is gone. The proof of things amiss at the Wall becomes unremarkable, without urgency and only another appeal for more men.

N_S - Don't want to get too far afield about the Hand/hand incident as it was an aside and occurs much later. Would like to clarify that the hand is evidence of wights. The hand represents not only the need for men at the Wall, but also that something dangerous is happening. The hand represents the need for urgency, unity and action. Sadly, because Tryion puts off Thorne, the hand (the evidence) desintigrates; the evidence of wights is gone. The proof of things amiss at the Wall becomes unremarkable, without urgency and only another appeal for more men.

To be honest, I think that after the long trip and being so south of the Wall, the hand in the jar was just a hand in a jar, no different from any other rotting hand.

I don't think it would have proven much in any case.

Just as an aside food seems to crop up regularly as a theme in Tyrion's chapters so far. Three chapters and a meal in every one.

I don't think any of the other POVs eat so much.

I actually wondered if the type of food could be significant. In the latest Tyrion's chapter they are eating crabs.

A bit of googling turns up:

• Crabs cast off their shells for new ones, and this is where the rebirth/cycling association plays its part.
  • The protective animal symbolism is evident in the hard, spiny exo-skeleton found with these creatures.
  • When the crab crawls into our consciousness we're reminded of the cyclical nature in our lives and what protection we may need for the path on which we embark.
  • As an animal totem, the crab's ambulation is noteworthy. Never taking a direct (forward, or head-on) route, the crab makes its way on land with a sideways tap-dance.
  • This is a reminder that not all paths are direct and not all ways will be forthcoming in their meaning. When you are moving in a certain direction, and you feel a bit misguided, call upon the travel-savvy crab. She will guide you in an unorthodox way - taking lesser known paths of least resistance and bring you to clarity.

The paths not being forthcoming, or reminding us of the protection we need on the path ahead may be interesting, especially in light of how Tyrion himself thinks that he will never have a reason to come back to the Wall. But if the crab symbolism should be believed, Tyrion will come back via indirect mean, i.e. not by following a straight path. And perhaps somewhere along the way, he will have experienced a rebirth experience of some sort.

In the first chapter he eats black bread and kippers I believe, and the on the road he eats some sort of stew, but drinks expensive wine, no?

He does pick up on on the creepiness of beyond the Wall though. When he's up on the Wall with Jon it's "the edge of the world" he can see "the dark trees looming...like a second wall...a wall of night" where "even the moonlight could not penetrate the ancient tangle of root and thorn and grasping limb...the trees grew huge...they seemed to brood and knew not men".

It's a vision of an alien world, conscious, not human but powerful. The jokes about snark don't seem funny and Tyrion almost can believe in the Others.

Tyrion's final observations on top of the Wall reminded me a little of the Prologue

Will shared his unease. He had been four years on the Wall. The first time he had been sent beyond, all the old stories had come rushing back, and his bowels had turned to water. He had laughed about it afterward. He was a veteran of a hundred rangings by now, and the endless dark wilderness that the southron called the haunted forest had no more terrors for him.

Until tonight. Something was different tonight. There was an edge to this darkness that made his hackles rise.

Part of this is building up the creepy factor beyond the Wall. From the very beginning of the books we know that there is something very creepy beyond the Wall so readers know Tyrion is sensing something very real.

Even the final line of the chapter emphasizes the connection to the Prologue

“I believe you,” Tyrion said, but what he thought was, And who will go find you? He shivered.

I suspect that this final scene does actually change Tyrion's view of the Watch if only slightly. Jon called him "friend." Other than Tysha this is probably the very first time another human being demonstrated any genuine affection for Tyrion that was not kissing up to Casterly Rock or family related like Jaime or his uncles. Mormont also expressed a desire for Tyrion to serve in the Watch because of his merit based evaluation of Tyrion which is also quite rare if not unique in his exerience. In this final look on the Wall he senses a threat to the only person in his life who has ever genuinely called him friend. I wouldn't call it an earth shattering revelation but it does pierce his emotional armor and he leaves the Wall viewing the Watch as a collection of human beings rather than the joke living at the Wonder of the World he came to see.

LS - "I should have been a pair of ragged claws/Scuttling across the floors of silent seas." Eliot

Crabs are also associated with the moon, as such it is the emblem for Cancer in the zodiac. Cancer is the fourth sign and occurs during the time of the summer solstice. So sun and moon. The moon ever cycling, waxing to waning. The sun at its peak during the solstice; only to bring forth the change of seasons. Winter is coming.

Ragorak & Lummel - Love your comments about the Wall.

In a prior Jon chapter, Jon is thinking about the Wall:

It was older that the Seven Kingdoms, and when he stood beneath it and looked up, it made Jon dizzy. He could feel the great weight of all that ice pressing down on him, as if it were about to topple, and somehow Jon jnew if it fell, the world fell with it.

Tyrion surprises Jon as he's looking at the Wall and says: "There's much to be said for taking people unawares. You never know what you might learn."

Jon replies, "You won't learn anything from me."

Tyrion replies, "Oh, I learn things everywhere I go." The little man gestered up at the Wall with a gnarled black walking stick. "As I was saying. . . why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?" He cocked his head and looked at Jon with his curious mismatched eyes. "You do want to know what's on the other side,don't you?"

The sad truth about creepy walls (and doors ect. . .) is that in spite of all that creepiness, we want to see what's on the other side.

Ser Alliser Thorne- I feel like it's pretty much an overreaction on Thorne's part. If you read that exchange, Tyrion really isn't being that harsh or provocative. He makes a joke about sending dwarfs to the NW, which I read as more of a self-deprecatory joke than an aggressive one against the NW. Then of course Thorne over-reacts, and it's off to the races from there. After rereading ADWD along with you guys and girls, I find it really weird to see Bowen Marsh here, when he's not complaining about everything and being so angry and sullen. He does seem like a bit of a different character, perhaps the wound he took on the Bridge of Skulls and then accompanying LC election where he comes in last really changed him.

I also love the end where Tyrion remarks quite plainly that Thorne is better off mucking the stables than training the men, and the Old Bear can only reply with "Well, he's a knight so he can do whatever he wants" (paraphrasing). I think this is a good illustration of how titles are or at least should be somewhat meaningless at the Wall, where it's supposed to be more about merit than titles.

Old Bear- This is really just an almost sad scene. He's so desperate and wistful for more man power, even Tyrion feels embarrassed for him at one point. Tyrion reassures him by telling him he'll talk to the King and Tywin and Jaime, but it's completely false as Tyrion knows at the moment. None of them will listen nor do any of them care about "snarks and grumkins". You really get a feel for what kind of situation the Wall and NW are in here- Not remotely a good one. That also helps put in perspective the situation Jon inherits, which is like this, except 1000 times worse after the events on the Fist of the First Men.

Jon- This is a really interesting little scene. I love the sort of "bromance" that ends here with Jon and Tyrion clasping hands, and Tyrion "oddly touched" about Jon calling him a friend. We see here what Tyrion's status as a Lannister entails- Essentially everyone is asking him for favors and promises, which good for Tyrion, he does actually seem to intend to keep. We have Mormont and all the stuff he wants Tyrion to do for the Watch, and now Jon and all the stuff he wants him to do for Bran and Rickon. It's really a different sort of Tyrion you see with both Mormont and Jon- Much less mocking and aggressive behavior, more mutual respect and "trust" than I'm used to seeing in really any other Tyrion interactions.

I love how it really ends with Tyrion looking over the Haunted Forest and essentially concluding "Yeah, the snarks and grumkins might be real" after seeing it from the top of the Wall. I can only imagine the imagery of what that looks like.

I also love the end where Tyrion remarks quite plainly that Thorne is better off mucking the stables than training the men, and the Old Bear can only reply with "Well, he's a knight so he can do whatever he wants" (paraphrasing). I think this is a good illustration of how titles are or at least should be somewhat meaningless at the Wall, where it's supposed to be more about merit than titles.

I think Mormont is actually making the case for Thorne being (among) the most qualified.

"The Watch has no shortage of stableboys," Lord Mormont grumbled. "That seems to be all they send us these days. Stableboys, sneak thieves and rapers. Ser Alliser is an annointed knight, one of the few to take the black since I have been Lord Commander. He fought bravely at King's Landing."

He's one of the few at the Wall with battle experience and training. The rest being common laborers and criminals. Later we learn what Mormont thinks of Thorne:

In two years I will be seventy. Too old and too weary for the burden I bear, yet if I set it down, who will pick it up? Alliser Thorne? Bowen Marsh? I would have to be as blind as Maester Aemon not to see what they are.

So clearly, he's not blind to Thorne's faults, but given the sad state of affairs within the Watch, Thorne is, by default, among the best they have. So much so, that he'd actually be considered a front runner for command.

Yes Tyrion's diffidence about his own, er, gentler (?) warmer (?) more positive feelings is really quite interesting. I think this crops up again in ADWD, but I don't really remember it in the others books. Something else to look out for :)

Hmm. All these crabs!

With the food I actually had a different idea. I was thinking that food and eating, having meals together is all about conviviality, friendship and companionship. And that seems in contrast to the idea of Tyrion as an outsider, or feeling himself to be isolated from his fellow men (and I think we are largely talking about men with Tyrion aren't we?).

I suppose it also suggests an appetite, and enjoyment of, er, physical pleasures. So far restricted to food, at least in deed.

I was trying to wrack my brains about other characters, I recall Ned missing meals due to the King's business and his own investigations. Perhaps this just comes back to Tyrion the man of leisure - with the time to enjoy his food? At least so far.

I was trying to wrack my brains about other characters, I recall Ned missing meals due to the King's business and his own investigations. Perhaps this just comes back to Tyrion the man of leisure - with the time to enjoy his food? At least so far.

He has in fact very little food descriptions in ACOK when he's busy being the Hand (I can recall only Cersei's dinner with the roasted swan).

Jon has quite a lot of food descriptions (the feast at the beginning, the mutton stew with black bread at the Wall etc...), but they're not described in great detail.

Catelyn has some very yummy food in her chapters: her breakfast after the attack to Bran for example, and later at the Inn).

Sansa has some descriptions of sweets (maybe there's a link to the character's personality).

Perhaps GRRM just feels more inspired with Tyrion. :)

It may be something to keep an eye out for, what people are eating (like for instance Cersei wanting to feast on boar, but having to settle for sow, the infamous Frey pies, the 77 wedding courses etc.) and possibly drinking, too.

I do believe there is mention of food in the next Tyrion chapter as well, if no eating, so it may be useful to keep track of what he is eating and when. Like for instance the bread and fish in the Winterfell chapter with Jaime and Cersei.

Yes Tyrion's diffidence about his own, er, gentler (?) warmer (?) more positive feelings is really quite interesting. I think this crops up again in ADWD, but I don't really remember it in the others books. Something else to look out for :)

He's also awkward with displays of affection.

From Jon's chapter:

He ran back to the common hall, where he found Tyrion Lannister just finishing his meal. He grabbed the little man under the arms, hoisted him up in the air, and spun him around in a circle. “Bran is going to live!” he whooped. Lannister looked startled. Jon put him down and thrust the paper into his hands. “Here, read it,” he said.

Tyrion is almost always startled and somewhat uncomfortable when somebody has physical contact with him (he will later have the same reaction with Cersei, Penny, Sansa and I think Septa Lemore too) and will later refuse Podrick's help to walk when he's wounded, because that's a sign of weakness.

The only exception are Jaime, that kisses him on the cheeks, and Shae (but in that case is more the other way round- he's the one that makes physical contact first and takes the initiative).

I think he's diffidence towards affection is particularly evident with Shae ("fool, it's only your money she loves, etc..."), and also in his speech to Sansa he's embarassed to talk about positive feelings ("I can even be kind. Kindness is not a habit with us Lannisters, I fear, but I know I have some somewhere. I could be … I could be good to you.") and generally seems more at ease expressinge rational arguments than feelings.

I think the same can be said about Jaime (with Brienne and later Tommen).

Cersei instead is quite vocal expressing the love for her children, but perhaps she feels "excused" for being a woman: she seems to share the same notion that love is a weakness, but she accepts it as unavoidable, I guess.

I think Mormont is actually making the case for Thorne being (among) the most qualified.

He's one of the few at the Wall with battle experience and training. The rest being common laborers and criminals. Later we learn what Mormont thinks of Thorne:

So clearly, he's not blind to Thorne's faults, but given the sad state of affairs within the Watch, Thorne is, by default, among the best they have. So much so, that he'd actually be considered a front runner for command.

Not to sidetrack the thread or anything, but I agree only to a certain extent. Yes, being a knight does to some small extent make Ser Alliser "more qualified" to do the job, but it doesn't mean he's the right man for it, as both Jon and Tyrion are well aware it would seem. Now you could be right that it might more be a general statement of the sad state the NW is in, where just because Alliser is a knight he's qualified to do a job, even though quite frankly he sucks at it.

To take this back on topic :cool4: , I think you can probably see a general theme emerging in Tyrion's earlier chapters, which I think was best summarized by an earlier quote (from Blisscraft) about how when one person builds a wall, the other needs to look past it and see what's on the other side. Tyrion's chapters very much seem to be about perception does not necessarily equal reality, about how you need to look past certain things to see the real truth. Here, I'd say Thorne's status as a knight is "the wall", while Tyrion needs to look past that, to "mock him" to the point that the Wall breaks down. And I quote "mock him" because that's another direct quote from this chapter where I think this theme is buttressed.

There are some parts from the previous Jon chapter that warrants including since they focus on the Tyrion-Jon-Alliser triangle.

Jon knew Alliser Thorne's voice, but there was a curious note in it that he had not heard before.

"I have a place at cour, though," the dwarf said, smiling. "A word in the right ear, and you'll die a sour old man before you get another boy to train. Now tell Snow why the Old Bear needs to see him. Is there news of his uncle?"

"No," Ser Alliser said. "This is another matter entirely. A bird arrived this morning from Winterfell, with a message that concerns his brother" He corrected himself. "His half brother."

Somehow, the curious note, Thorne first omitting the "half" in "half brother", it sounds sympathetic! That big asshole Alliser Thorne, who treats his charges merciless, sounds like a decent guy showing sympathy to a boy in a difficult situation. And at this point, Jon is actually his preferred pupil.

When Thorne doesn't immediately tells Jon everything, Tyrion muscles in and protects Jon. Laudable, isn't it? But at a closer look, Tyrions threat harms the entire Watch, including Jon himself. To make matters worse, Thorne will be Jons CO for months and is expected to be a senior officer for decades. He will bear any repercussions while Tyrion walks away carefree.

Following that, Jon rejoices at the message and the enmity with Thorne starts really. But is that maybe Tyrions fault? At first it looks otherwise, Thorne is just a gigantic ass. But he has cause to be, and Tyrion fuels the flames without considering the consequences for a third party, Jon.

That may be something to remember for the future.

Tyrion IV

Overview

We can't escape the theme of food as the chapter opens with Tyrion's horse (a present from Jaime) being butchered. There's a sharp change of pace and scenery in this chapter. If you are rereading strictly you may feel a little disorientated by the shift from the Wall to butchery on the High Road but helpfully Tyrion starts to think back over the events of the last few days.

The carefree travels of Tyrion were interrupted when he was seized by Catelyn Stark on suspicion of the attempted murder of Brandon Stark. With the aid of various men at arms and sellswords carried up on to the High Road towards the Vale of Arryn. Tyrion reflects on his various aches and pains and is determined to show some of his tormentors that a Lannister always pays his debts.

While the horses crop the grass Tyrion and Catelyn start to have a conservation about the attempt on Bran's life but are interrupted by the approach of a band of clansmen. Tyrion and his servants are given weapons and they fight with Catelyn and their followers. The clansmen are beaten off, Tyrion acquits himself well in battle. His servants are killed but he establishes a jokey connection with the sellsword Bronn. Catelyn is cast into doubt by Tyrion's denials and his description of Littlefinger as an instinctual liar.

The chapter is abruptly different from the previous three Tyrion chapters. The course of events that was hinted at in the breakfast in Tyrion I have caught up with him. During the course of the chapter Tyrion undergoes a complete role reversal, from prisoner to power.

Observations

• Kurletket, Lharys and Mohor. Mohor wore “a rounded iron cap that made him look as if he had a bowl on his head”. Kurleket is “a great fat oaf with short cropped hair and a pig's face”. These are the Three Stooges. The Three Stooges are in the service of the Brackens, if nothing else that should encourage us to be sympathetic to the Blackwoods. :)
  • There are, for the first time so far, no wolves howling in this chapter.
  • Catelyn comes across here as cool and analytical. She's considers what Tyrion has to say even though Littlefinger was brought up with her like a brother.
  • Tyrion doesn't get to eat, but he does get to mourn a missed meal.
  • Tyrion is actually quite effective in battle.
  • Tyrion is fairly sorry for himself.
  • It is too late for poor Masha Heddle. The high lordin's quarrels will needlessly end her life all the same. Such is the game of thrones.
  • Note that Tyrion's horse was more showy than tough and clearly the pace on the High Road was harder than on the King's Road to the Wall for all Benjen said.
  • “By now our pursuit is likely racing across the neck...assuming there is a pursuit...my father does not love me overmuch” the extent of the love Lord Tywin has for the honour of his house becomes rapidly apparent in other chapters.

Analysis

Point of view in ASOIAF

Something to discuss is GRRM's choice of how to split the material here. There is a little group of chapters in which Tyrion and Catelyn are together and GRRM made a decision as to from whose point of view different parts of this story would be told. We know from the bits and pieces that GRRM told us about the Meereenese knot that these decisions can be complex. Would the story made a different impact on us if GRRM had split the story differently? Does the choice of POV change the impression we get from these chapters?

A Lannister always pays his debts

The appendix tells us the house words of the Lannisters: “here me roar!”. This chapter however introduces us to their other guiding motto - “a Lannister always pays their debts”. I like the sinister edge Tyrion gives to those words:

A Lannister always paid his debts. Kurleket would learn that someday, as would his friends Lharys and Mohor, and the good Ser Willis, and the sellswords Bronn and Chiggen. He planned an especially sharp lesson for Marillion, him of the woodharp and the sweet tenor voice, who was struggling so manfully to rhyme imp with gimp...

But the targets of his wrath are the low born. It doesn't seem to occur to Tyrion to hold Catelyn Stark guilty, her seizure of him seems to be all fair in the game of thrones, only the behaviour of the Three Stouges and Co. seems to have violated the rules as far as Tyrion is concerned.

Tyrion the witty

There are plenty of classic Tyrion lines in this chapter. “Don't kill him anywhere”, “I'm willing if she is” and “Craven rhymes nicely with raven” amongst others. I think these combine the sympathetic and Lannister sides of the character. The wit inclines us readers to sympathy, but that wit tends to be barbed. We laugh but there is a victim caught on the barb too. In the case of Marillion, well who wants to be nice to Marillion, he's a low fawning liar, but equally Westeros is a tough place, unless you are born to one of the great houses, and he does what he has to to survive. Tyrion's wit help him to put others in their place – and by place I mean this is a very stratified society. At least as readers we can comfort ourselves that Tyrion is only using humour to place people down, his father is rather more fond of physical demonstrations of power.

And next time Ragnarok will be bringing us Tyrion V.

There are some parts from the previous Jon chapter that warrants including since they focus on the Tyrion-Jon-Alliser triangle.

Jon knew Alliser Thorne's voice, but there was a curious note in it that he had not heard before.

"I have a place at cour, though," the dwarf said, smiling. "A word in the right ear, and you'll die a sour old man before you get another boy to train. (2) Now tell Snow why the Old Bear needs to see him. Is there news of his uncle?"

"No," Ser Alliser said. "This is another matter entirely. A bird arrived this morning from Winterfell, with a message that concerns his brother" He corrected himself. "His half brother."

Somehow, the curious note, Thorne first omitting the "half" in "half brother", it sounds sympathetic! (1) That big asshole Alliser Thorne, who treats his charges merciless, sounds like a decent guy showing sympathy to a boy in a difficult situation. And at this point, Jon is actually his preferred pupil.

When Thorne doesn't immediately tells Jon everything, Tyrion muscles in and protects Jon. Laudable, isn't it? But at a closer look, Tyrions threat harms the entire Watch, including Jon himself. To make matters worse, Thorne will be Jons CO for months and is expected to be a senior officer for decades. He will bear any repercussions while Tyrion walks away carefree.

Following that, Jon rejoices at the message and the enmity with Thorne starts really. But is that maybe Tyrions fault? At first it looks otherwise, Thorne is just a gigantic ass. But he has cause to be, and Tyrion fuels the flames without considering the consequences for a third party, Jon.

That may be something to remember for the future.

(1) I don't think this necessarily shows that Thorne was being sympathetic. The message might have contained the words "your brother", or most likely Mormont spoke about Bran in those terms (he'll later call Robb your brother and not half brother while talking to Jon "Your brother is in the field with all the power of the north behind him") and Thorne might be just repeating what he was told.

When he thinks about it himself, he adds "half-brother". I think that shows the exact opposite, which is Thorne being very aware of Jon's status and somewhat deminishing the importance of the news for him.

(2) I don't think that ser Alliser dying a sour man threatens anyone except Thorne himself. He's a terrible master at arms anyway, so I believe the NW would actually benefit if somebody else trained them.

Besides, Thorne snaps at Jon after seeing him befriend Grenn and offer him his advice, and after see him being happy about Bran's news.

His contempt seems to be most linked with the whole "Lord Snow" business, the fact that he grew up in Winterfell and Jon's reaction reminds him once more of his closeness to his half-brothers.

He has in fact very little food descriptions in ACOK when he's busy being the Hand (I can recall only Cersei's dinner with the roasted swan)...

Oh there are a couple more - but I have been cheating and reading ahead!

It may be something to keep an eye out for, what people are eating (like for instance Cersei wanting to feast on boar, but having to settle for sow, the infamous Frey pies, the 77 wedding courses etc.) and possibly drinking, too...

I think so too, like Natalie_S was saying Sansa eating sweets, is that limited to her, it's luxury food so I suppose it adds to how we see the character. I don't know if it will lead anywhere, but I'll try and keep an eye on the meals.

He's also awkward with displays of affection...

Cersei instead is quite vocal expressing the love for her children, but perhaps she feels "excused" for being a woman: she seems to share the same notion that love is a weakness, but she accepts it as unavoidable, I guess.

Yes that's true and while Cersei is vocal I don't recall her showing physical affection (maybe she hugs Tommen once in AFFC?). The Stark siblings seem a bit more touchy feely (or maybe I'm misremembering?) despite their reputation as being cold and reserved.

Tyrion IV

“My brother Jaime gave me that mare for my twenty-third name day,” Tyrion said in a flat voice.

Another reminder of Tyrion's affection towards Jaime. The fact that his brother's gift was sluaghtered seem to sadden him very much, much more than you would expect for a horse.

This is also the first time we learn more about Tyrion's servants: Jyck (who will be recalled in a couple of other times later and probably was his squire/bodyguard) and Morrec, a cook/groom/ "body servant" (whatever that is... IDK).

In the previous chapters they were mentioned as "his men" and sounded like far more, instead here we learn that they're just 2.

Tyrion's discomfort on the King's road, which seems far more a hard road than the way North, I think is most likely due to the lack of his special saddle (he's said to be put on a random horse and that his eyes are covered all the time, so probably he was riding with someone else), beside the fact that he's tied and can't breath properly because of the hood on his face.

He has a instinctive antipathy for Marillion, as he's the one who spoke to him at the Inn and attracted his attention to Catelyn. If he didn't speak, nothing would have happened. On top of that, the guy does all the things that Tyrion can't suffer:offered to sing about Tywin's military gestures, and later cruelly made fun of Tyrion because of his dwarfism and his waddle (imp/limp).

I think it's important to note that, even if Tyrion is very angry at Catelyn, he seems to have a sort of respect/admiration for her "All his life Tyrion had prided himself on his cunning, the only gift the gods had seen fit to give him, and yet this seven-times-damned she-wolf Catelyn Stark had outwitted him at every turn. The knowledge was more galling than the bare fact of his abduction.".

That's one of the few times in the series in which he will acknowledge that someone is more intelligent than him :)

His pride is really wounded this time.

By the way, he seems also not to think he was treated unjustly by her: she's playing "the game" and following the rules, and he seems to think that it's his fault for not outwitting her.

He will later try to talk to her and appeal to her rational side, finding the gaps and the unconvicing bits in LF's theory, and that probably would have worked, if they weren't interrupted by the battle and then by Lysa.

During the battle, even if his first instinct is to leave her to die (also because she's his captor), he will help her anyway.

Tyrion warns Catelyn against Littlefinger, telling her that he's a liar because he boasted about having taken her maidenhead (we will later learn that LF does boast about it). All the men that escort Catelyn seem to take this as a great offence made by Tyrion to Catelyn, and seem not to grasp that he's implying that of course he doesn't believe LF.

Tyrion felt a sudden urge to leap up, brandish his axe, and boom out, “Casterly Rock!” but the insanity passed quickly and he crouched down lower.

The first taste of battle fever, that he will experience later on in the book. Rationally though, he doesn't value battle courage and hero behaviour much: he will think that Jyck is a fool for making "such a bold show with his bareback charge".

Tyrion is given an axe: possible LOTR hommage?

We have other proofs of how he's deeply linked to Casterly Rock: his battle cry; when he swears an oath, he always says "on my honour as a Lannister" (he will later use the same expression with Sansa).

"Whatever you may believe of me, Lady Stark, I promise you this—I never bet against my family.”

Archived