[Spoilers] Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

The new girl Gillian just hired will be filling the role of Ros.

I'm reading this and thinking "surely GOT can't be losing Ros"? She's integral to the entire show. Thank god they are recasting her although you'd have thought they'd have had a better contract for such an important role. I'm thinking I'm missing something in the above statement,,,

I'm reading this and thinking "surely GOT can't be losing Ros"? She's integral to the entire show. Thank god they are recasting her although you'd have thought they'd have had a better contract for such an important role. I'm thinking I'm missing something in the above statement,,,

I think by that he was joking, meaning that she will be the sexy woman who we get scenes of having sex with (semi) important characters. Basically, a simple sex filler with a stretched relevance to the story.

I think by that he was joking, meaning that she will be the sexy woman who we get scenes of having sex with (semi) important characters. Basically, a simple sex filler with a stretched relevance to the story.

It's funny to think that these have become essential characters in the visual storytelling medium. I guess Sopranos used to have them too. The "ros" may be how Gillian can get Rosetti to help her?

It's funny to think that these have become essential characters in the visual storytelling medium. I guess Sopranos used to have them too. The "ros" may be how Gillian can get Rosetti to help her?

Could very well be that way. Rosetti was offered a night at the Ritz IIRC, and Gillian was preparing the girls for a big night with big people.

After re-watching the premier with my buddy, I have to agree that I think this was one of the better episodes overall. They managed to cover a lot of ground without feeling rushed, even though we missed out on Chalky and Eli. I'm very, very curious to see where they go with Richard's plot. He has to be drawn back into the "gangster" side of the story somehow, and his killing of Manny is sure to have repercussions -- though which that cuts is definitely open for debate.

Not quite sold on Rosetti just yet. The guy playing him is great, but the character is very much your typical hot-headed Italian gangster trope. I feel like he might end up biting the bullet relatively early, since I just can't see how the hell a dude like that can realistically last in the world they've created (I mean he literally insulted an entire room full of America's most powerful gangsters).

I'm almost as curious about Van Alden's story as I am Richard's. The scene with Capone and the new Irish fellow (who I also really liked) was brilliant and hilarious.

After re-watching the premier with my buddy, I have to agree that I think this was one of the better episodes overall. They managed to cover a lot of ground without feeling rushed, even though we missed out on Chalky and Eli. I'm very, very curious to see where they go with Richard's plot. He has to be drawn back into the "gangster" side of the story somehow, and his killing of Manny is sure to have repercussions -- though which that cuts is definitely open for debate.

Not quite sold on Rosetti just yet. The guy playing him is great, but the character is very much your typical hot-headed Italian gangster trope. I feel like he might end up biting the bullet relatively early, since I just can't see how the hell a dude like that can realistically last in the world they've created (I mean he literally insulted an entire room full of America's most powerful gangsters).

I'm almost as curious about Van Alden's story as I am Richard's. The scene with Capone and the new Irish fellow (who I also really liked) was brilliant and hilarious.

O'Banion. A truly excellent scene in every way. I must say, I am excited for EVERY story arc in this season, even (less) so with Margaret's. I hope they build up on Owen like they did with Richard.

I was surprised at how much I liked the Van Alden story in this episode. I think there's potential for the character if they make him an out-and-out enforcer with delusions of righteousness. I don't know if that redeems the stuff that's gone before, but it's a good way to use Michael Shannon's crazy committed performance.

About Van Alden....did him and his nanny get married for real? And then at the end of the episode he mentioned another kid? So there's the first baby girl, and then did Van Alden and the nanny have another baby..?

Yes, he does have a son (in addition to Abigail) and he calls her (Sigrid?) his wife. Given that he now has a son, I think it is safe to assume they got married and had a child.

that's weird. Dunno if I like that. I hope they bring the original mother back into the fold. I'm really wondering what the hell happened with her. I mean she gave birth to her baby all ALONE in a house, that makes a bond. I'm surprised she just left her kid.

Lucy? I think she is gone for good (thankfully, I found her demeanor very annoying). The metaphor with the screenplay A Dangerous Maid told a lot to her character--she was hoping Van Alden would let her assume the role of a mother and wife, but his family (his first wife, specifically) was what kept him from doing so, along with his judgmental personality.

I don't think Lucy cared for the child (ETA) emotionally, she more desired the lifestyle the child (and Van Alden) could bring her. She never named the child.

ETA: Remember she offered to have Nucky's child and be his wife, but Nucky went with Margaret, the more "proper" woman. Lucy was always thought of as a showgirl and she wanted to break that. Unfortunately, it just was not seemingly going to happen in Atlantic City.

Lucy? I think she is gone for good (thankfully, I found her demeanor very annoying). The metaphor with the screenplay A Dangerous Maid told a lot to her character--she was hoping Van Alden would let her assume the role of a mother and wife, but his family (his first wife, specifically) was what kept him from doing so, along with his judgmental personality.

I don't think Lucy cared for the child (ETA) emotionally, she more desired the lifestyle the child (and Van Alden) could bring her. She never named the child.

ETA: Remember she offered to have Nucky's child and be his wife, but Nucky went with Margaret, the more "proper" woman. Lucy was always thought of as a showgirl and she wanted to break that. Unfortunately, it just was not seemingly going to happen in Atlantic City.

Wasn't there also a scene when Lucy confronted Margaret (or vice versa) and Lucy said that Nucky has a habbit of straying but comes back to her or was it just her type? Well both Margaret and Nucky have strayed to different people but it seems Lucy has finally been left behind for good (I so hope at least) as Nucky has Billie now who is a "Lucy type" but I like Billie very much more.

I think Lucy tells Margaret something like, "Sometimes he grows a conscience and feels guilt and tries to be a good person. Then I spread my legs and he comes crawling back. You don't know him like I do." Then Margaret says something like, "Maybe your cunny isn't all you think it is."

Basically, I think Lucy knew Nucky pretty damn well.

I think Lucy tells Margaret something like, "Sometimes he grows a conscience and feels guilt and tries to be a good person. Then I spread my legs and he comes crawling back. You don't know him like I do." Then Margaret says something like, "Maybe your cunny isn't all you think it is."

Basically, I think Lucy knew Nucky pretty damn well.

That's right, good memory!

Archived