[Spoilers] Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

I love the Chicago guys so much, the phone conversation 'who are you again?' 'Where's Capone?' 'Thought you said Torio.' Trollin' 20's style. And that was such an epic last image. Capone chomping on a cigar, It's a shame Graham's so short really, that's the only thing that's missing from his portrayal.

I assumed the guy on the other end of the phone was not Chicago but rather one of Masseria/Rosetti's men, who have taken control of the AC switchboard (as was mentioned twice previously). Or is it coincidence that minutes after Nucky reveals his identity (Eli is his brother) and the phone number where he's staying, Rosetti arrives with all his men to "drag Nucky Thompson out by his dick"...

I assumed the guy on the other end of the phone was not Chicago but rather one of Masseria/Rosetti's men, who have taken control of the AC switchboard. Or is it coincidence that minutes after Nucky reveals the phone number where he's staying, Rosetti's men arrive...

Hmmm that is a strong possibility, much more likely than my theory, I just assumed they figured he'd be at chalky's. :dunno:

Holy fuck, did anyone see next weeks promo? Insane stuff, I can't wait!

Ooooh, Rothstein! Can't wait to see how he exploits the situation. :) I'm assuming Luciano's arrest is the reason Rothstein will try to cut some kind of deal with Nucky, maybe he needs Nucky's political connections or something to keep the heroin business from blowing back on him?

I don't think it has anything at all to do with Margaret, personally, and simply the result of narrowing the field to keep the story basically focused on a single plot point (the Luciano stuff stuck out like a sore thumb, but I assume his arrest has significant implications to next season and they want to start bringing that up now). A strong unified plot on a show that tends to prefer a mosaic approach can be refreshing on occasion (just look at "Blackwater" and how far it stood out in part because of the tight focus).

I loved the Harrow thing, but at the same time, it's kind of bait for fans who've been waiting for him to go to town. I'm not sure if it's an earned moment.

Eh, I have to agree with the others that it may have been more about Margaret than the narrowing of the plot. Her story has been snooze city. I love the actress but I don't think she has had much to work with. Her story was interesting in season 1 and most of season 2. But this year's focus on the hospital. Meh.

I think Luciano's arrest will have implications for the finale with a tug-of-war with Masseria and Rothstein. I think Rothstein will back Nucky but Nucky will have have to give up something in return. That plot piece could be the business that Nucky took over from George Remus. Or maybe even giving up his other connections to Rothstein and having to stay afloat with his new connection. That could be the focus of season 4.

I'll admit I geeked out over Harrow. Perhaps it was a quick descent for him but I'll take it. I keep mentioning Luca Brasi because he's one of the most fascinating characters of The Godfather novel. So was Al Neri, Michael Corleone's enforcer. Their backstories are amongst the most interesting things in that novel. I've always wanted Harrow to fill that role for Nucky and to serve him faithfully, unlike Jimmy and Owen. And if Nucky has learned anything from his experiences the last two seasons is that he needs to find faithful allies and treat them well.

Loved it when Capone came through the crowd, Nucky can't lose now! Loads of respect for Chalky as well, hate Gyp so much its untrue, thought he was great at the beginning of the series.. I'm hoping its Richard who kills all Gyp's men in the brothel and it's him who kills Gyp, not Capone or Chalky or Nucky.. Just wish Richard was more to do with the main story, still miss Jimmy though!!

I really do hope Margaret and Gillian get killed in the last one, two characters I absolutely HATE.

Margaret was enjoyable when she was used to highlight the past of Nucky, and his "good" side. This season, she has been completely disconnected from the main plot and her whole plot itself has been rather choppy and inconsistent. I don't think it is the fault of the actress at all (I liked her early in the show) but the writers were just unsure what to do with her, and did not want to abandon her character.

Nucky might try to reconnect with his "good" side in Season 4, we'll have to wait and see.

Gyp is such a great villian, he is simultaneously strong and weak in so many paradoxical ways. Is there any chance he survives the season finale to get whacked early next season, similar to Manny? :)

Archived