[Spoilers] Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

If Sleater buys it, it's this episode that would really have telegraphed it. I'm hoping they're setting us up for a fake-out, and not falling into the trap of signalling big character changes too readily.

My thought on Rothstein is that either this is yet another ruse to fool Masseria and Rosseti into thinking he's staying out of it (much like the ruse he used to get his meet with Gyp and set up Bugsy's hit)... or, since that does maybe start to feel samey-samey, Rothstein is just deciding that the reason he was targetted was because of Nucky, so if he cuts ties with Nucky, he'll be left alone and will be able to deal with Rosseti to get the booze that Nucky has so far been able to deliver only fitfully.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. A couple of thoughts:

1) Harrow. Rosseti marching around with that ridiculous hat would make a beautiful target for a sniper. How does Nucky get his aid? Well, I think this episode we're seeing yet more cracks in the foundation -- Tommy is seeing things he shouldn't see, is being raised in an unhealthy place by a woman who'll smother him with her warped maternal feelings and vanities, and if Nucky can help him get Tommy away from her for good... (Yeah, Harrow could just kill her, I guess, but I suspect his loyalty is such that he couldn't bring himself to kill Jimmy's mother.)

2) Capone. Torio, ready to retire, didn't take part. He's basically starting to cede the business to Al. Will hot-headed Capone decide to make a mark by wading into the fight and proving himself by taking out Rosseti? How in the world Nucky can rope him in, I don't know. It's a stretch.

Rothstein is just deciding that the reason he was targetted was because of Nucky, so if he cuts ties with Nucky, he'll be left alone and will be able to deal with Rosseti to get the booze that Nucky has so far been able to deliver only fitfully.

1) Harrow. Rosseti marching around with that ridiculous hat would make a beautiful target for a sniper.

But surely Roth knows that him an Massaria will come to blows eventually, and in that case Rossetti will jump in Masserias favour leaving Roth high and dry.

However if Roth is planning on eliminating Rossetti. Rothstein>Luciano>Gillian>Harrow. Very possibly, I think it unlikely Harrow would do it for Nuck without some serious recompense, Tommy perhaps? As rational as he was over Jimmy's murder, I don't think he feels warmly towards Nuck in the slightest.

I'm amazed that the simple idea of giving Richard Harrow a powerful rifle and getting within a few hundred yards of whoever is causing you problems hasn't occurred to people more often.

That may be about to change though, judging by Sleator's comment about how this isn't a job for an army, presumably he intends to draw on his experience as an IRA member and assassinate Rosetti. My guess is that he'd do it either by using a sharpshooter or a bomb to take out Rosetii. Since Owen had a brief standoff with Richard last season, and of course Nucky is familiar with the deadliness of Harrow, that might be a good way to involve him. Otherwise Sleator can do something like make a bomb and have some underling that Rosetti doesn't know smuggle it into Tabor Heights.

Also, Gillian has no idea what she's dealing with when it comes to Richard. No idea ta all. I wonder if/when she'll learn that lesson.

Now that it has been brought up, I feel that the scene with Richard, Mickey, and Nuck was meant for this conflict. It was to make it clear to Nucky how capable Richard is, and that Richard is not an enemy left over from a war that ended.

Yeah, I think Owen is a goner, the show is clearly too invested in Nucky's/Margaret's marriage to allow them to run, and if they stay, sooner or later they will get caught. Which is a shame, since I think that Nucky losing his newfound family could open some possibilities.

Rossetti was hilarious with that hat.

I don't understand Rothstein's motivations for staying out of the fight, seems like he has no choice now.

I'm wondering what is going to happen to that creepy agent dude who ran off and became an iron salesman. His whole story line has been completely inconsequential and I feel like it has to circle back some how.

No more than Capone, whose story-line Mueller is directly involved in now. He's slipping into O'Banion's gang, which will put him at loggerheads with the Chicago Outfit.

I'm wondering what is going to happen to that creepy agent dude who ran off and became an iron salesman. His whole story line has been completely inconsequential and I feel like it has to circle back some how.

CREEPY AGENT DUDE!? Heathen! Van Alden is the best bloody thing in the show!

1) Harrow. Rosseti marching around with that ridiculous hat would make a beautiful target for a sniper. How does Nucky get his aid? Well, I think this episode we're seeing yet more cracks in the foundation -- Tommy is seeing things he shouldn't see, is being raised in an unhealthy place by a woman who'll smother him with her warped maternal feelings and vanities, and if Nucky can help him get Tommy away from her for good... (Yeah, Harrow could just kill her, I guess, but I suspect his loyalty is such that he couldn't bring himself to kill Jimmy's mother.)

2) Capone. Torio, ready to retire, didn't take part. He's basically starting to cede the business to Al. Will hot-headed Capone decide to make a mark by wading into the fight and proving himself by taking out Rosseti? How in the world Nucky can rope him in, I don't know. It's a stretch.

My first thought was Chicago would be involved. It was the only faction absent from the big meeting, and they have to tie that storyline back in somehow, right? But the same goes for Harrow, who really has been off on his own for most of the season. And they did make a point of having Rosetti and Harrow meet last episode. Perhaps it'll be a combination of both.

My first thought was Chicago would be involved. It was the only faction absent from the big meeting, and they have to tie that storyline back in somehow, right? But the same goes for Harrow, who really has been off on his own for most of the season. And they did make a point of having Rosetti and Harrow meet last episode. Perhaps it'll be a combination of both.

I think they are separating Chicago and AC and trying to keep them as two different, fairly self-contained stories. To be honest, I would have minded this season being more Chicago than AC.

I loved the George Mueller as the Hulk scene.

And his distillary running wife just continues to kick ass. I hope he realises how lucky he scored with that one.

Couldn't agree more, St. Pierre.

What? Me take care of babies all day? Naaahhhh. I stick em in cribs and make moonshine all day and sell it to Norwegians! No need to sell steam irons all day baby, I got it all worked out.

Any "bad mens" come around I will bludgeon them to death and even clean up the mess! She is a true gangster.

I'd say that's the score of a lifetime. If he screws that up he's hopelessly stupid.

I have to put my hat in with the others voting Sleater out of a job soon. Which is a bummer because I enjoy him so. I'm not sure I understand dear old Margie getting so disgusted with Nucky for his criminal dealings. Who does she think does the dirty work? And why on earth is Owen going to run off with her and her children? This seems like a doomed and useless venture.

Nucky rocked it this episode. I know some got irked by the concussion bit, but when he cut the cake I lost it. I also really enjoyed Chalky's facial expression when Nucky called him uppity. I was half expecting Chalky to throw him out the window. The look on his face was the classic WTF did you just say to me?

Now, Harrow and his new found love (Julia?). I loved that she kissed him in front of everyone and probably made him feel more like a man than he has in a long while. But I get the feeling she isn't all that in to him - it's more a pity thing? I hope not. The romantic in me would love for them to steal tommy and run away but Richard still has work to do.

Great episode. Awesome hat. Hoping to see more Eli, Chalky and Capone on Sunday.

No more than Capone, whose story-line Mueller is directly involved in now. He's slipping into O'Banion's gang, which will put him at loggerheads with the Chicago Outfit.

At least Capone is a gangster in a show about gangsters. Van Alden (thanks Blackbear) isn't. At this point he is just some schlub with anger problems.

I don't care if they don't tie in Harrows storyline with the main story, I love watching him finally get some happiness in his life!

I hope he and that girl adopts Tommy and moves somewhere out of NJ and settle down. The show could set aside 10 minutes each episode just showing us what an awesome life he has. :)

I don't care if they don't tie in Harrows storyline with the main story, I love watching him finally get some happiness in his life!

I hope he and that girl adopts Tommy and moves somewhere out of NJ and settle down. The show could set aside 10 minutes each episode just showing us what an awesome life he has. :)

I agree. His scenes with Tommy are the best, probably because Tommy is the cutest kid ever.

I've reached the point where I consider History a spoiler now but damn do I want to know how Nucky gets out of his current little pickle.

I'm glad the Billy thing is over with and after 8 episodes it seems like there was finally a point to Margaret's story (still doesn't justify the time spent on it).

Van Alden and his wife are great and I hope we see more of them once he's finished with Man of Steel. It's been a long time since I've ever (if I ever have) wanted some one to be branded with an iron so badly.

Archived