[Spoilers] Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

The only part of the show that really worked for me tonight what Richard's story. The Gaston Means stuff seems like a distraction. I have totally lost interest in the Chicago story (never my favorite after it stopped being of relevance to Jimmy). Chalky White shows up just to remind us he's there. Rosetti -- get this, Rosetti takes offense at something really inconsequential and brutally murders the offender -- can you believe it? What a wildcard! And Owen's death, at this point not at all even the remotest of surprises, is clumsily handled for a big reveal that just doesn't work.

I didn't really see Owen's death coming until the crate arrived at which point it hit me instantly.

Are there twelve episodes in this season?

I had high hopes for this show after S2 ended strong, but I'm disappointed with S3 overall at this point.

Rothstein needs more screen time.

I strongly suspected Owen was going to bite it in this episode when he decided to turn into the hit on Masseria into a "two man job" (since there's no way he's taking out Masseria). But when Luciano outright told Masseria there was a plot against him and went in and whispered the details, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. My only question is - how the heck did Luciano know the details of Nucky's plot to kill Masseria? Did I miss that?

I think we're left to infer that Sawicki is selling info to Luciano. He was with Sleater but we don't see his body.

Or, possibly, Mickey Doyle, perhaps in retaliation for having been demoted and having Eli put over him. OTOH, didn't we just see Mickey given the job of getting the distillery in Pennsylvania up to speed? More of a sideways movement than demotion, really, though on the other hand, Mickey probably likes the comforts of the eastern seaboard and cooling his heels in some factory in Pennsylvania maybe isn't so interesting.

I'll bet on Sawicki.

The surprise for me, I guess, was more the revelation that the conversation went on between Margaret and Owen, and she revealed her pregnancy. They sort of tipped that one off with the doctor remarking on her being pale, so I suspected, but hadn't realized that she had told Sleater.

I'm starting to find Gyp all too predictable now. Fine performance, but yeah, we need to see more than his murdering minions because of his self-esteem issues.

Finally, fourth season, so far as I know there's no announcement that it's the last. Treme, though, has a shortened fourth season, which will be its last.

Finally, fourth season, so far as I know there's no announcement that it's the last. Treme, though, has a shortened fourth season, which will be its last.

I watched the first two episodes of Treme, but couldn't get in it. Does it get better later on? With a bigger overarching plot?

I think we're left to infer that Sawicki is selling info to Luciano. He was with Sleater but we don't see his body.

Or, possibly, Mickey Doyle, perhaps in retaliation for having been demoted and having Eli put over him. OTOH, didn't we just see Mickey given the job of getting the distillery in Pennsylvania up to speed? More of a sideways movement than demotion, really, though on the other hand, Mickey probably likes the comforts of the eastern seaboard and cooling his heels in some factory in Pennsylvania maybe isn't so interesting.

I'll bet on Sawicki.

The surprise for me, I guess, was more the revelation that the conversation went on between Margaret and Owen, and she revealed her pregnancy. They sort of tipped that one off with the doctor remarking on her being pale, so I suspected, but hadn't realized that she had told Sleater.

I'm starting to find Gyp all too predictable now. Fine performance, but yeah, we need to see more than his murdering minions because of his self-esteem issues.

You're right. It's probably Sawicki... I seriously hope that this thread is dealt with and not completely abandoned. I just want it addressed.

The most interesting part of the episode to me was Sleater... how much of a sociopath was he really? He straight up lied to Katie about the affair, and then doubled down with the proposal. That just seems almost too cruel. I also got the feeling he was planning on screwing Margaret over too. There was something fishy about the whole "you leave first and head to this town I've never been to and don't know anything about but I have a guy there that will help us out" plan that he concocted, and I wonder if he was really just planning on a way to get rid of Margaret himself.

You're right, I was getting my late night HBO shows confuzzled.

I missed Luciano too. I mean, I saw him whispering information to Masseria. But I didn't grasp at the time that it must have been about Sleater.

Mickey Doyle's laugh is incredibly annoying to the point that it's impressive.

Doyle is my favorite character and I do a spot on impression of his laugh. I almost went as him for Halloween.

I thought Luciano just told Masseriti that Nucky was gunning for him. I didn't think he had all the details. However it makes more sense that there is a mole in Nucky's camp.

Promo 3x11, looks intense. Hopefully all the (tedious) build-up pays of in the end.

Oh good, looks like Chalky's going to play a more prominent role in that one.

Loved Al stabbing the fork into Van Alden's face, that was pretty funny. He (nelson) might end up on the right side to boot.

Was the shot near the end of bottles washing up a joke about Rossetti's maths? Or just bottles that had stayed out at sea?

I also liked the ambiguity about Sleater's character now. Was he really picking one of them? Or was he just dicking about?

I adore Treme, but it's not an "overarching plot" show. It's very much slice of life examination of people in post-Katrina New Orleans, and it keeps its eye very much on the ball. But it's beautiful, in its quiet way, with some amazing performances (Khandi Alexander has more than earned Best Actress, but of course the show is utterly ignored by the Emmy voting body, so screw 'em) and terrific music.

<snip>

The most interesting part of the episode to me was Sleater... how much of a sociopath was he really? He straight up lied to Katie about the affair, and then doubled down with the proposal. That just seems almost too cruel. I also got the feeling he was planning on screwing Margaret over too. There was something fishy about the whole "you leave first and head to this town I've never been to and don't know anything about but I have a guy there that will help us out" plan that he concocted, and I wonder if he was really just planning on a way to get rid of Margaret himself.

I was actually sad, although not surprised, that he showed up in a crate. I liked his character but this episode certainly revealed how much of a sociopath he was. I got the feeling he wasn't nearly as pleased about the prospect of being a father than he let on. I guess we will never know but the story of Missouri seemed fishy to me as well.

I will say watching Nucky put the pieces together about how deeply she cared for him was great.

Who will take Owens place now?

This is random, but does anyone know what HBO Sunday night will consist of once Boardwalk Empire S3 ends?

There was a hole left in their programming cycle when they canned Luck that they didn't have time to fill with a new original production in that time frame, so they are slotting Girls and another 30 minute comedy into that window to fill until GoT rolls around. This was announced back at the end of the last season of GoT (or around then at least) as they had to put Girls into a faster production cycle as it was basically synced up with GoT.

Archived