[Spoilers] Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 discussion thread

Mark Antony

best line of the episode - Eli to Doyle: "How are you still alive?"

Even though I said it talking about S3, episode 2, after tonight's episode - QFT

That had to have been a message that Doyle's not going to be around much longer, either that or he's gonna remain the one character that should have been dead since season 1 but manages to avoid it throughout the series.

Looks like the Nucky-Harrow dream team is gonna happen, which will be Rosetti's downfall.

"Bone for Tuna" - I loved that, they even made it the title of the episode. :lol:

I thought this was a great episode. It was somewhat of a set-up, like the last one, but we also saw some significant movements forward. I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat during the Nucky/Harrow confrontation. And the Rosetti/Gillian scenes? What a great combination of different evils that could be. I love how the women are just as much gangsters as the rest of the characters. I need to watch it again (as usual) before I can give a real analysis, but I definitely enjoyed this episode more than the last.

I'm going to have to do a re-watch of this episode. A lot of it went right over my head. Was Nucky daydreaming about a little Jimmy? Or was that some other kid? Also, I don't understand what Bone for Tuna means, I know :dunce:

I think the best moment was Harrow saying "Jimmy was a soldier. He fought a war and lost," or however it went. Awesome scene. Mickey Doyle was superb with his nervosness.

Yep, Nucky was dreaming/hallucinating/being haunted by Jimmy, who after all was in some ways like an adopted son to him.

Bone For Tuna, is a mangled pronunciation guide to buona fortuna, Italian for good luck. Bone for tuna is how Slater had it written down in that note in his pocket.

Oh my goodness! When I said it out loud :idea:

I can't believe I was so stumped by that.

Also, what was the scene about with the guy getting mugged/jumped and then the shoot out? I didn't recognize any of the characters.

That young guy was Benny (Bugsy) Siegel going out to sell heroin and getting jumped by rival gang members and Meyer Lansky coming out shooting on Bugsy's side. They're trying to set up their own criminal power organization with Lucky Luciano.

That young guy was Benny (Bugsy) Siegel going out to sell heroin and getting jumped by rival gang members and Meyer Lansky coming out shooting on Bugsy's side. They're trying to set up their own criminal power organization with Lucky Luciano.

Gee I wonder if it will be successful.

I had no idea that kid was Bugsy! That makes him much less annoying :P

I love this episode. I love how Jimmy continues to take an affect on Nucky. I love how we constantly see Nucky trying to run from his guilt and he absolutely panics when he can't get a hold of Billy (I wonder where she was..).

I also liked the scene of Rosetti with Gillian. I was pretty confused as to what he was getting at. Maybe that Nucky still has enemies but they all submit to him.

Richard was awesome again, and I love how he handled Mickey. I like how they justified Richard's return to Nucky. Richard seems to clearly get the message Jimmy left to him. Sort of like, "You fought for me, but my fight is done."

Margaret is really devious. She is creating some enemies with powerful non-gangsters and that could come back to hurt her. In a lot of ways, she is a gangster herself--pressuring and intimidating people, coercion. I am still confused as to whether this is all still her trying to buy her way into heaven or if these are truly the efforts of a feminist.

Eh, I am not yet sold on Margaret. I liked her early on, but it seems that her character is constantly changing and is hard to understand. I am not sure if it is part of her character or not, but the writers seem (to me) to be constantly changing what they want Margaret to be.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like Margaret her hospital-arc. It's kinda good, in my opinion.

I think the most chilling thing about that subplot was when I think it dawned on me why they (including the Bishop) were reluctant to give pre-natal classes, I'm assuming they feared women would use the information to deliberately miscarry as a type of abortion? In which case that is truly appalling how they'd rather women risk both their own lives and that of a baby rather than give them useful info.

The Harrow scene was surprising and great in how it put that sub-plot to rest and allowed it to go somewhere else. Good call on those saying the kill was for Angela. Let's hope Nucky can keep his "don't take it personally" attitude to heart.

I'm still waiting for "George" to explode. Can't wait for him to take it out on his co-workers or some corrupt agent. It's clearly only a matter of time.

It's nice to see that killy Jimmy is having an effect on Nucky now. About time.

I think the most chilling thing about that subplot was when I think it dawned on me why they (including the Bishop) were reluctant to give pre-natal classes, I'm assuming they feared women would use the information to deliberately miscarry as a type of abortion? In which case that is truly appalling how they'd rather women risk both their own lives and that of a baby rather than give them useful info.

Yeah, I believe that is the point aswell.

The Harrow scene was surprising and great in how it put that sub-plot to rest and allowed it to go somewhere else. Good call on those saying the kill was for Angela. Let's hope Nucky can keep his "don't take it personally" attitude to heart.

I'm still waiting for "George" to explode. Can't wait for him to take it out on his co-workers or some corrupt agent. It's clearly only a matter of time.

It's nice to see that killy Jimmy is having an effect on Nucky now. About time.

I thought the Bishop being concerned by pre-natal care, that yes he was concerned about abortions but more so than that (since getting an abortion was illegal during this time anyway) the talk of modernness was mainly code for birth control, this being the Roman-Catholic Church.

I too am enjoying Margaret's roll this season, if she's going to be married to Nucky she may as well do some good for it for her casues, even if she has to be devious. I kind of hope Margaret and Nucky fix their astranged marriage, but before that happens Billie is either going to end up being killed by one of Nucky's enemies or she will betray him, not only by sleeping with someone else (which I think Nucky all ready knows she is but is also in denial about it) but make him vulnerable to his enemies.

Also, I think whatever happened between Slater and Margaret is over except for possible reprecussions, but I think now there is romantic tension between Margaret and the arrogant pipe-smoking pro pre-natal care doctor that she's working with.

From the first episode of the season we see there's a bit of a cold war between Harrow and Gillian over how to raise Tommy. I think the time Richard spent with Margaret and her children at Nucky's house he may feel that's a much better environment to raise Tommy than in a brothel and with Nucky's guilt over Jimmy coming to the surface he may see a chance here to assuage some of it by being a better mentor/father figure towards his son even if Harrow is also sharing father figure duties with him.

I also like that Jimmy is not forgotten by Nucky or the show, the flashback was nice seeing him, even if it was a clip from a past episode.

Eh, I am not yet sold on Margaret. I liked her early on, but it seems that her character is constantly changing and is hard to understand. I am not sure if it is part of her character or not, but the writers seem (to me) to be constantly changing what they want Margaret to be.

I see Margaret growing in the manner she tackles issues but at heart she's still the woman looking for a righteous cause we saw in the beginning of the series when she was part of the temperance movement.

Thank you! I was truly lost as to who they were.

I'm starting to warm up to Margaret now that she's starting to be a bit of a women's rights gangster. I love how she cornered those men into getting what she wanted.

Margaret's bit was brilliant.

I also was amused at the little historical in joke of Luciano prominently referring to the heroin trade as "our thing" since that is the literal translation of Cosa Nostra, Someone was being a sneaky little bugger when they worked that in.

blurgh. what happened at the end of last season made for an amazing scene and episode, but imo, it's destroyed this season. there are just zero characters i care about. none of the action is compelling. without jimmy, this show is falling out of the top ten dramas quickly

Gee I wonder if it will be successful.

haha, that's part of what I both enjoy and dislike about this show. Having that group of completely historical characters, O'Bannion, Torrio, Colosimo, Lansky, Rothstein, Masseria, Bugsy, Lucky, CAPONE, you know exactly where everything is heading in the broad strokes, and that spoils some things, but who knows what awesome little plots and details will be invented. And then the way semi-historical figures like Nuck and and Chalky, and the purely fictional ones, all interact with these huge names, it's just awesome.

Archived