A question about Stannis

SimonSez

Sorry she has Armies/Good commanders/ and Dragons :)

I wouldn't exactly call the Stormcrows and the remains of the Unsullied an army. Hell, Stannis' host outside of Winterfell has more men. And if Massey gets to Braavos, Stannis will have a lot more mercenaries than Daenerys.

Besides I think Victorion is currently bringing her just what she needs to put those naughty dragons right in line.

But, you've got a point there. Victarion and his horn are either gonna make thing worse, or finally teach the dragons discipline.

I think it's absolutely clear what Stannis would do. He would be rather annoyed, but he would get word of the invasion long before he actually met them (unless they land in the north, which seems unlikely,) then he would draw up a battle plan using all the resources he has, and he would have the greatest chance of any commander in Westeros of defeating them, even if it wasn't a very good chance considering that they are dragons and all. I could see however him taking advantage of Dany's lack of experience/education and luring her to batter in a location where some of the dragons strenghts were negated and he might have a better chance of bringing them down, though I wouldn't speculate as to where.

Or he might wait untl they land near a large building and grind his teeth until he brings the building down on them...

"King" Stannis :lol:

Stannis is Iron. He gets compared to iron over and over again in the books. Iron is brittle, and Stannis will break.

Stannis isn't a very good battle commander. He pushes his armies and disregards the counsel of his generals. Daenerys heeds advice when she needs it.

Stannis will break before he yields. Unless they make common cause against the Others, Stannis will die.

Stannis is Iron. He gets compared to iron over and over again in the books. Iron is brittle, and Stannis will break.

Stannis isn't a very good battle commander. He pushes his armies and disregards the counsel of his generals. Daenerys heeds advice when she needs it.

Stannis will break before he yields. Unless they make common cause against the Others, Stannis will die.

Really? Stannis defeated the Iron Fleet and essentially ended the Greyjow rebellion, he held his castle for a year against a massive siege force with only a small garrison, and managed to maintain discipline at the same time, and he only lost the Blackwater beccause Edmure Tully messed up Robb Stark's plans and Tyin Lannister force marched his army to reach KL in the nick of time. He then went north of the wall and took the wildlings by surprise and he's going to win the Battle of Ice.

We're also told by just about everyone what a graet commander he is. No-one, but no-one disputes that.

Also, Stannis doesn't have any general.

He might die however, because he won't back down, you're right there. But fire can temper iron or bond it to make steel and other alloys! There is still hope!

Iron is very strong, not as strong as steel but still strong. That's how we get expressions like as strong as Iron or Iron willed etc. Until the invention of steel, Iron was the strongest thing man had. It is in fact the 4th strongest non-alloyed metal there is, beaten only by the relatively unknown beryllium, tungsten and osmium (i love google :D)

As for his abilities as a commander, this is all he is known for! He is a great commander! He even beat the Iron Born fleet during the rebellion. That's a land based commander defeating an entirely naval peoples! Pretty impressive if you ask me. The only possible thing we can say against Stannis is that his march to Winterfell was abit foolhardy. Not stupid or even unrealistic, just foolhardy and single minded.

He also listens to council, he's just not often given the truth or reliable council. That's why a former smuggler from flea bottom is now his Hand, because Stannis listens to and recognises useful council.

His reaction would no doubt be initially hostile. And if Dany presses her claim to the throne on dynastic grounds, Stannis would fight till the end.

BUT... if Dany has by that time learned of the Others, and claims the throne not in the name of House Targaryen, but rather as a necessity for defeating the Others, I could see Stannis making a compromise of some sort.

Stannis is Iron, he will break before he bends. He does not compromise, her understanding is not required, only her obediance!

Yeah.....Rhaegar didn't have dragons

And Robert didn't have a magician who could burn things with her mind.

Dany : Dracarys.

Stannis used Withdraw, Dany's attack missed.

Awesome we basically posted the same response. Damn work and not being able to read what's goin on while taking 20 minutes to type a response!

You sir/madam/other have been 'liked'

Edited for spelling

Haha, no worries!

And thanks; also, "sir" for what it's worth. :)

Stannis isn't a very good battle commander. He pushes his armies and disregards the counsel of his generals.

Lol, this just discredited your whole post. Perhaps it's time for a reread?

Anyway, aegons dragons were 300+ years old Daniels are like 4.

IF Dany gets the dragons under control she might cause Stannis a problem. Hes in the North though. He could retreat to mountainous terrain bringing all the resources available with him, where Danys dragons are neutralised and have no way to live.

OR he could just walk up to her and get hitched. With Danys taste in men Stannis should be a stand out option

Actually it's only once, by Donal Noye who, incidentally, calls Robert the "true steel". Robert, the fat drunk guy whose wife cuckolded the hell out of him and was TKO'd by a pig.

You've fallen into the classic trap of taking a character's vague analogy as objectively true.

Stannis isn't a very good battle commander.

Yeah, he is.

I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers.

He pushes his armies

Sorry, could you elucidate on this? Are you suggesting a good general does not push their armies?

and disregards the counsel of his generals.

Hardly. Witness how he changed his entire battle plan in the North based on Jon Snow's advice. Or how he went to the Wall based on Davos' suggestion.

Stannis heeds good counsel when he gets it.

Daenerys heeds advice when she needs it.

She really doesn't. In fact, Daenerys' story is a list of laughably bad moves that she was warned not to take by advisors. Examples include:

• She's told not to trust MMD by the Dothraki. She's told not to participate in MMD's shadow magic by Jorah. She does anyway. Disaster. Kills her unborn child, leaves her sterile.
  • She's told not to enter the House of the Undying by XXD and Jorah. She does anyway. Nearly gets killed twice, and gains no advantage from the encouter.
  • She's told she should have left Meereen for Westeros a LOOONG time ago by Jorah, Barristan, pretty much everybody. Doesn't, and gets bogged down in an epic clusterfuck.

Not to mention her disregarding of anybody trying to point that things have changed since her father ruled in Westeros, and that some of the Usurper's dogs are no longer a very big threat. Nope, don't wanna hear the nuance between Stark and Lannister. They're pretty similar Houses right?

In fact, the only person she seems to legitimately listen to is Quaithe, a mysterious and unidentified spectre whose agenda and identity we have no idea of whatsoever. It never occurs to Daenerys' for example, that Quaithe may be an enemy, and is deliberately poisoning her against people who would help her.

Really some people are very blind when it comes to Stannis. Hes not the greatest person in the world but hes not a monster. Hes not Hannibal or Alexander but hes not a bad general either. Facts are hes the best wev seen in the books. And hes not inflexible

Really some people are very blind when it comes to Stannis. Hes not the greatest person in the world but hes not a monster. Hes not Hannibal or Alexander but hes not a bad general either. Facts are hes the best wev seen in the books. And hes not inflexible

Exactly. He's not some sort of legandary general, but from everything we know he is the best commander in Westeros and possibly Essos as well.

Good point @ danm_999, I missed Dragonstone! :o

1. Eh, it doesn't matter how brittle iorn is when you're wacking a dullard, moody teenager over the head with it.

2. He's potentially the best commander on Westeros. He pushes his army, so? Should he just sit at the Wall and give up? And no, he does listen his advisors a lot when they aren't all idiots. Dany, though, lol. She's the person that sent her Admiral away for not being an ass-kissing Yes Man. She's the person that continually denied the advice of practically all advisors in Mereen so she could stay and play queen.

3. Good one.

-snip-

100% this.

I hate to tell someone that they are completely wrong but since everyone including the post a just kinda quoted since have torn you pieces... your so freaking wrong dude, on every account.

Also, Iron isn't fucking brittle! It is Iron! The word itself has been used for millenia to describe strength!

Stannis will stamp his feat and hold his breath and complain that those are his dragons and demand them.

Then danny will be like sure brah if you can take one you can have one.

and he'll be all like for reals?! you is a dope babe, wud up.

danny will be like no probs dude ya know I got yo back man.

Stannis will nod and say word

Stannis approachs the green dragon , pulling out light bringer he exclaims by the word of azor ahai reborn and true king YOU are now mine so come on lets go

The dragon stares blankly and blows fire

but the red priests is like AH HELL NAW fire cant kill me yo, and steps into the flames

then stannis is yelling you lucky she holding me back cause id wreck you.

and the dragon clothes lines both of them with one sweeping action of the tail.

Stannis goes down like a 40 yr old boxer in a title match

Meilisandra POOPs out another shadow baby but this one has some birth defect and cant walk.

the dragon opens wide

the last thing you hear before the red preistess is eaten is

The only way to be the wights is~~~ chomp.

Wait. so that huge rebellious war that he became famous in with edd for their prowess in battle to usurp the mad king wasn't what got him the crown?

No. the kingslayer and Tywins betrayal won him the crown and murdering children furthered his 15 mins of fame. Not honorably winning a war.

Archived