What makes Sandor Clegane awesome.

Rolex Baratheon

To analyze the personality of Sandor, You should get in the skin of the character.

Try to imagine from the beginning:

You are a boy, you is 7 years old (black hair, grey eyes, healthy body, surely you are a handsome boy).

And you dreams with be a knight some day (Or so suggests the “metaphorical” toy). But you lives with Gregor……. He disfigures you (not just physically but also morally). If you can not imagine it, thinks in the disfigurement that the Lannisters provoked in Arya, is a moral desfiguration in all the ways. (Luckily she is saved from physical disfigurement.)

Not only your physical (the first image you project to the world and your self) has been disfigured by your own brother , all your dreams of chivalry too (save a princess, a kingdom ... (because the princess will look at you with disgust and horror and men of the Kingdom with pity (maybe), with fear or derision.)

To top it off, your brother, your personal monster becomes in all that you wanted to be: a gentleman .. a Knight ! .. Gregor...! .. : You is 12 years old.

I think Gregor wanted to have a broken brother around for fun. But Sandor turned out alright, not because of his outstanding moral performance in difficult situations, but because of his behaviour towards the Stark daughters :crying: . It would be interesting to read about the 'gravedigger' persona. We could learn what Sandor wants to do with himself after the turmoil of the war.

On top of that, your father dies, and the monster of your life becomes in the owner of your house, of your shield,owner of all that your family and you represent.

Owner of everything- including you.

You escapes (Remembers to Arya fleeing of the Red Castle in Kingslanding?

Arya, fortunately,has had a loving and protective family, has not been physically attacked, much less by his own brother-On the contrary, it is the memory of Jon that helps her to keep her identity- know that he will could protects her at some point in the future. however "her" reality has led her to become a killer: she had to choose: kill or be killed, and she chooses to kill.)

.( "Her" reality put her under the strange protection of a bizarre benevolence: The house of God faceless.They gives to Arya the option of choose a alternative future. But she,"her" hate, "her" reality chooses be a killer.)

You/Sandor is 12 years old.

You don´t have anyone in the world. You are in the middle of a war (Rahegar / Robert).

You don´t have anyone in the world. You are in the middle of a War (Rhaegar / Robert).

Whom do you seek to protect you? :

A those who made of your grandfather a lord:

The Lannisters ... The Lion's House ... Tywin, Cersei ... go drawing your own conclusions ...

Under the training/serviceto the Lions (his/your "protectors") ensues

the destruction largest of its identity as a human being .. moral destruction almost complete.

He even begins to call himself The Hound, -he who dreamed of being a Knight is now no more than a dog,he hates himself, he has fallen in lowest of the lowest in his vision of himself.

He doesn't see himself as a man even.He feels like nothing more than a dog.

However, despite having become The Hound, his nature seems to lean more towards being a bodyguard / skilled warrior that always obey.

I think so ,

and is for the fact that the Lannister "chooses" to Sandor as a bodyguard/Swordshield of their most precious sprout of Lannister <_< : Joffrey :wacko:, the prince.

And,thinking as a mother: whom give more protection to your child?: a serial raper killer (Gregor)

Or a Skilled warrior who always obeys (The Hound / Sandor)? Leaning toward Sandor.

But, one day,

you is 26 years old and maybe you think that be the prince's dog is the best, for despicable that it can be, that you will can reach in your life, all while the hatred for your own brother, for yourself and for the world, consumes you.

you go to the North (could be the North of the live of Sandor?…hum , I think about it)

-work issues, you know? ;) -and knows an different family, possibly a surprising family to you.

(And tell me! ... I love the Starks! ( : ...)

Possibly, it is the first time that you have run into a family, that is a real family, a loving, protective family, with honor ...really. ..!

Living among Gregors and Lanniters, consumed by hatred, .... must be really shocking to you find people like that ....... True Honor! JA! A True Knight! l Eddard !!.. He likes cutting heads! he don´t do that for Honor .. nobody convinces me that he does it for Honor! JA! Honor! I spit in the honor and knights.. ... so there are no Knights,, bla bla (well, or something like that you go to tell to Sansa in the future).

This is the first impact

They are everything that you could be, but you never will be.

They have everything you ever wanted, but you never will have.

You,a dog.

Or so you think..... :cool4: ..... :devil:

And then, comes the crash,even literally,with who will be your final breaking point with the beast:

Sansa, "the little princess in her enchanted castle" that also believes in knights "as was the person that you was, once , many time ago : Sandor :idea: :bang: ;) :bawl: :(

(Momentary Rupture of Sandor with The Hound in the kingsroad/ Sandor to Sansa and in the night of the feast of the Tournament:)

"Take a good long stare.

You know you want to. I've watched you turning away all the way down the kingsroad. "

(chapter 1Sansa:"He did, and had since she had first laid eyes on the ruin that fire had made of his face"

Sandor follow her and.:"She stepped backward and bumped into someone.

Strong hands grasped her by the shoulders, and for a moment Sansa thought it was her father, but when she turned, it was the burned face of Sandor Clegane looking down at her, his mouth twisted in a terrible mockery of a smile. “You are shaking, girl,” he said")

And you (Sandor) makes catharsis. You tells to Sansa what Gregor did to you and also you get consolation (possibly for first time in many years):

"The rasping voice trailed off. He squatted silently before her, a hulking black shape shrouded in the night, hidden from her eyes. Could hear his ragged Sansa breathing. She was sad for him, she Realized. Somehow, the fear had gone away.

The silence went on and on, so long That She Began to grow afraid Once More, but she was afraid for him now, not for herself. She found his massive shoulder with her hand. "He was no true knight," she whispered to him.

The Hound Threw back his head and roared. Sansa stumbled back, away from him, but I caught her arm. "No," I growled at her, "no, little bird, I was no true knight."

The innocence and sweetness of Sansa, "her / his naives dreams" and the abuse she suffered at the hands of Joffrey,Seems to draw a parallel (for him) between Sansa and Sandor, and between Gregor and the Lannisters, (hence he always is warning to her about the evil of the world around, advising her (in a sort of passive protection until reach an gradually but complete break with his masters ,"their employers"- ¿right readers? -and trying to free himself of who he was.

In the interaction with her he begins to be as he wants to be, his nature is unleashed, Becoming increasingly irreverent and disobedient to their masters until he rebels fully of the Lannister , first for Sansa and finally for him self (Blackwater) ,

becoming finally in a protector (although a little.. strange) even with Arya,(making possible his wish to move into the family Stark, even as a dog(hence his despair when Robb is killed):

(I´m) "My own dog now."

(Still looks like a beast, but a beast that can control.)

If you add at this toxic sauce,

(Sandor is more drunk of emotions that of wine)

that Sansa is becoming very fast in a very attractive woman, and that he is a young man in the prime of life that desires her violently, and that she has been seminude in his arms...:..You rock my world , girl... :cool4:

@Little red ridding hood

I like your analysis and how you see Sandor. It's more or less the way I see him and how I reed his character. It also helps that I speak a little spanish :)

In very intelligent version of GRRM little princes is saving a knight from his own beast. Himself.

I love your comparison with Arya.

The characters of Westeros have been written “in extremis" because they live in a world "in extremis". And is for that reason that they should not be judged as if they “were born and lived" in "Our" world because they "were born and live" in a very different world.

Is very possible, if Sandor had "born" in "our" reality,that he would not had become a Beast, I not saying that it would be a "Saint" but not a "Beast” either. In the same way that in "our world" , Arya would be a "Rebel" but never a killer. Neither Ned. I can´t imagine in "our world" to a Ned that makes no jury trials, cutting head to deserters.

taking his children (his children!) to be witnessed such a barbaric act. Even, I can´t imagine to Eddard as the guy who lights the electric shear. No! In "my, our" world Ned would not have killed anyone, would be a Judge, or something like that.

Putting all together and with a little more:

To analyze the personality of Sandor, You should get in the skin of the character.

You are a boy, you is 7 years old (black hair, grey eyes, healthy body, surely you are a handsome boy).

And you dreams with be a knight some day (Or so suggests the “metaphorical” toy). But you lives with Gregor……. He disfigures you. (not just physically but also morally). If you can not imagine it, thinks in the disfigurement that the Lannisters have provoked in Arya, is a moral disfigurement in all the ways. (Luckily she is saved from physical disfigurement.)

Not only your physical (the first image that you project to the world and your self) has been disfigured by your own brother , all your dreams of chivalry too (save a princess, a kingdom ... (because the princess will see you with disgust and horror, and men of the Kingdom, with pity (maybe), with fear or derision.)

To top it off, your brother, your personal monster becomes in all that you wanted to be: a gentleman ........a Knight ! .. Gregor...! .. : You is 11 years old.

By then, your ideas about the world of chivalry,your view of the world in general, surely it should be upside down:

(Remember what he said to Sansa? :Sansa yell him-"Why are you always so hateful? I was thanking you . . ." Sandor replies-"Just as if I was one of those true knights you love so well, yes. What do you think a knight is for, girl? You think it's all taking favors from ladies and looking fine in gold plate? Knights are for killing……#*…!!!."

And:

"There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different."

Sansa backed away from him. "You're awful."

"I'm honest. It's the world that's awful. Now fly away, little bird, I'm sick of you peeping at me."(another break point with The Hound)

On top of that, your father dies, and the monster of your life becomes in the owner of your house, of your shield,owner of all that your family and you represent.

_______________________________________________________-

You try to escape (Remembers to Arya fleeing of the Red Castle in Kingslanding?

Arya, fortunately,has had a loving and protective family, has not been physically attacked, much less by his own brother-On the contrary, it is the memory of Jon that helps her to keep her identity- know that he will could protects her at some point in the future. however "her" reality has led her to become a killer: she had to choose: kill or be killed, and she chooses to kill.)

.( "Her" reality put her under the strange protection of a bizarre benevolence: The house of God faceless.They gives to Arya the option of choose a alternative future. But she,"her" hate, "her" reality chooses be a killer.)

You don´t have anyone in the world. You are in the middle of a War (Rhaegar / Robert).

The Lannisters ... The Lion's House ... Tywin, Cersei ... go drawing your own conclusions ...

________________________________________________________-

the destruction largest of its identity as a human being .. moral destruction almost complete.

He even begins to call himself The Hound, -he who dreamed of being a Knight is now no more than a dog,he hates himself, he has fallen in lowest of the lowest in his vision of himself.

However, despite having become The Hound, his nature seems to lean more towards being a bodyguard / skilled warrior that always obey.

I think so ,

and is for the fact that the Lannister "chooses" to Sandor as a bodyguard/Swordshield of their most precious sprout of Lannister: Joffrey :wacko:, the prince.

And,thinking as a mother: whom give more protection to your child?: a serial raper killer (Gregor)

Or a Skilled warrior who always obeys (The Hound / Sandor)? Leaning toward Sandor.

But, one day,

you is 26 years old and maybe you think that be the prince's dog is the best, for despicable that it can be(because if your "protectors/owners" are like this, the rest of the Employers should be worse- probably you think), that you will can reach in your life, all while the hatred for your own brother, for yourself and for the world, consumes you.

you go to the North (could be the North of the live of Sandor?…hum , I will think about it ( ;

-work issues, you know? ;) -and knows an different family, possibly a surprising family to you.

Possibly, it is the first time that you have run into a family, that is a real family, a loving, protective family, with honor ...Really.!...

Living among Gregors and Lanniters, consumed by hatred, .... must be really shocking to you find people like that ....... True Honor! JA! A True Knight! l Eddard !!.. He likes cutting heads! he don´t do that for Honor .. nobody convinces me that he does it for Honor! JA! Honor! I spit in the honor and knights.. ... so there are no Knights,, bla bla (well, or something like that you go to tell to Sansa in the future).

This is the first impact

You,a dog.

And then, comes the crash,even literally,with who will be your final breaking point with the beast:

Sansa, "the little princess in her enchanted castle" that also believes in knights "as was the person that you was, once , many time ago : Sandor :idea: :bang: ;) :bawl: :(

(Momentary Rupture of Sandor with The Hound in the kingsroad/ Sandor to Sansa and in the night of the feast of the Tournament:)

"Take a good long stare.

You know you want to. I've watched you turning away all the way down the kingsroad. "

(chapter 1Sansa:"He did, and had since she had first laid eyes on the ruin that fire had made of his face"

Strong hands grasped her by the shoulders, and for a moment Sansa thought it was her father, but when she turned, it was the burned face of Sandor Clegane looking down at her, his mouth twisted in a terrible mockery of a smile. “You are shaking, girl,” he said")

And you (Sandor) makes catharsis. You tells to Sansa what Gregor did to you and also you get consolation (possibly for first time in many years):

"The rasping voice trailed off. He squatted silently before her, a hulking black shape shrouded in the night, hidden from her eyes. Could hear his ragged Sansa breathing. She was sad for him, she Realized. Somehow, the fear had gone away.

The silence went on and on, so long That She Began to grow afraid Once More, but she was afraid for him now, not for herself. She found his massive shoulder with her hand. "He was no true knight," she whispered to him.

The Hound Threw back his head and roared. Sansa stumbled back, away from him, but I caught her arm. "No," I growled at her, "no, little bird, he was no true knight."

The innocence and sweetness of Sansa, "her / his naives dreams" and the abuse she suffered at the hands of Joffrey,Seems to draw a parallel (for him) between Sansa and Sandor, and between Gregor and the Lannisters, (hence he always is warning to her about the evil of the world around, advising her (in a sort of passive protection until reach an gradually but complete break with his masters ,"their employers"- ¿right readers? -and trying to free himself of who he was.

In the interaction with her he begins to be as he wants to be, his nature is unleashed, Becoming increasingly irreverent and disobedient to their masters until he rebels fully of the Lannister , first for Sansa and finally for him self (Blackwater) ,

becoming finally in a protector (although a little.. strange) even with Arya,(making possible his wish to move into the family Stark, even as a dog/beast- (Sandor to Arya: "Maybe even more if I sold you back to the Lannisters like you fear, but I won’t. Even a dog gets tired of being kicked. If this Young Wolf has the wits the gods gave a toad, he’ll make me a lordling and beg me to enter his service. He needs me, though he may not know it yet. Maybe I’ll even kill Gregor for him, he’d like that.”)(hence his despair when Robb is killed)-.

(I´m) "My own dog now."

(Still looks like a beast, but a beast that can control.)

that Sansa is becoming very fast in a very attractive woman, and that he is a young man in the prime of life that desires her violently, and that she has been seminude in his arms...:..You rock my world , girl... :cool4: ....

.So Winds of Winter is coming hot...!.. ( ;

I've never been on board with the whole Hound worship thing - the killing Mycah and laughing about it really did that for me. I don't buy that he was laughing to cope with this (although, I'd never thought about this angle before).

What do you think would have become of Mycah if brought back to Cersi? He was accused of striking the prince? I think it would have been worse than a quick clean death.

Putting all together and with a little more:

And you dreams with be a knight some day (Or so suggests the “metaphorical” toy). But you lives with Gregor……. He disfigures you. (not just physically but also morally). If you can not imagine it, thinks in the disfigurement that the Lannisters have provoked in Arya, is a moral disfigurement in all the ways. (Luckily she is saved from physical disfigurement.)

Not only your physical (the first image that you project to the world and your self) has been disfigured by your own brother , all your dreams of chivalry too (save a princess, a kingdom ... (because the princess will see you with disgust and horror, and men of the Kingdom, with pity (maybe), with fear or derision.)

To top it off, your brother, your personal monster becomes in all that you wanted to be: a gentleman ........a Knight ! .. Gregor...! .. : You is 11 years old.

By then, your ideas about the world of chivalry,your view of the world in general, surely it should be upside down:

(Remember what he said to Sansa? :Sansa yell him-"Why are you always so hateful? I was thanking you . . ." Sandor replies-"Just as if I was one of those true knights you love so well, yes. What do you think a knight is for, girl? You think it's all taking favors from ladies and looking fine in gold plate? Knights are for killing……#*…!!!."

And:

"There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different."

Sansa backed away from him. "You're awful."

"I'm honest. It's the world that's awful. Now fly away, little bird, I'm sick of you peeping at me."(another break point with The Hound)

_______________________________________________________-

You try to escape (Remembers to Arya fleeing of the Red Castle in Kingslanding?

________________________________________________________-

I think so ,

and is for the fact that the Lannister "chooses" to Sandor as a bodyguard/Swordshield of their most precious sprout of Lannister: Joffrey :wacko:, the prince.

But, one day,

you is 26 years old and maybe you think that be the prince's dog is the best, for despicable that it can be(because if your "protectors/owners" are like this, the rest of the Employers should be worse- probably you think), that you will can reach in your life, all while the hatred for your own brother, for yourself and for the world, consumes you.

you go to the North (could be the North of the live of Sandor?…hum , I will think about it ( ;

Possibly, it is the first time that you have run into a family, that is a real family, a loving, protective family, with honor ...Really.!...

This is the first impact

You,a dog.

"Take a good long stare.

The Hound Threw back his head and roared. Sansa stumbled back, away from him, but he caught her arm. "No," I growled at her, "no, little bird, he was no true knight."

becoming finally in a protector (although a little.. strange) even with Arya,(making possible his wish to move into the family Stark, even as a dog/beast- (Sandor to Arya: "Maybe even more if I sold you back to the Lannisters like you fear, but I won’t. Even a dog gets tired of being kicked. If this Young Wolf has the wits the gods gave a toad, he’ll make me a lordling and beg me to enter his service. He needs me, though he may not know it yet. Maybe I’ll even kill Gregor for him, he’d like that.”)(hence his despair when Robb is killed)-.

(I´m) "My own dog now."

(Still looks like a beast, but a beast that he can control.)

that Sansa is becoming very fast in a very attractive woman, and that he is a young man in the prime of life that desires her violently, and that she has been seminude in his arms...:..You rock my world , girl... :cool4: ..So Winds of Winter is coming hot...!.. ( ;

All this Intense development of his character, is the reason that is Sandor so awesome and fascinating.

...because when he refers to Arya as Wolf Bitch it sounds like a compliment, as if he's respecting her as a peer. It's almost how black people can use the N word to refer to each other, but white people can't. He knows that they're both outsiders and they both have the wild hearts of dogs.

Does Sandor ever really refer to her is Wolf Bitch? (could be) , but must only be once...

it's mostly 'she-wolf'.

We know he has finally come to totally accept and trust her when he gives her the dead archers knife, silently , no warnings, a wordless and not begrudging acceptance.

One wonders at that point if he , in his gruff-grudging way he wished she was his daughter?

I looked up the times he used it:

"The wolf bitch wants to kill the pretty bird."

"Stupid blind little wolf bitch."

"We have to go get my mother." "Stupid little bitch.""

"I hit you with the flat of an axe, you stupid little bitch."

"The little wolf bitch wants to join the Night's Watch, does she?"

"Do you mean to make me beg, bitch? Do it! The gift of mercy...avenge your little Michael..."

6 times.

Archived