What makes Sandor Clegane awesome.

Rolex Baratheon

Why do people feel the need to whitewash Sandor and to turn him into a misunderstood lapdog?

He is the interesting literary character he is because as a person he is a nightmare, with all his darkness and contradictions. He is certainly neither awesome nor sexy, at least not to me, he is horrible and socially incompatible but nonetheless a literary gem, even in his weird relationship to Sansa.

So don't turn him into the poor misunderstood beast that will loose all its colour and identity through the little naive.

Let him be twisted as he is for the sake of his literary value. Or leave him alone on the Quiet Isle.

Word!

...Was he told to laugh when he murdered the child too? It wasn't Joffrey, by the way, it was Cersei who sent the search parties.

Who says he actually did that? He could have just said that. Of course I could be wrong.

And ooh I forgot it was Cersei. :)

I'm not accusing you of anything. It is just not meaningful as an excuse or a defence. Sandor chooses to work for those people, he chooses to kill Mycah rather than to capture him, he chooses to hack him almost in half.

Ah sorry. There goes my Targaryen temper again :lol:

He does choose to work for them which means that he has to do what they say.

He did a bad thing there. However, whether Cersei sent them or Joffrey makes little difference seeing as its not like Sandor can disobey the Queen.

I personally dislike people going to extremes in their opinions. It's like threads gradually undergo a sort of chain reaction in opinions. Sandor is a bad dog ---> He's bad but not that bad ---> He's good at his core but knows not how to show the goodness, and his anger (a quality which can obviously be present in good people) makes showing this goodness very difficult and he ends up botching it ---> Sandor is a lovely, thoroughly good chap.

Guess which opinion I have (the 3rd one in case you decide to act smart xD). Sandor's negative outlook stems majorly from anger, and he has reason for that anger. He doesn't go around killing people to appease himself, though. He dislikes bullying so we cannot really say he kills others to soothe his anger. He says stuff akin to Tyrion's 'admitting' the murder of Joffrey to Jaime, i.e: saying he does bad things which he really doesn't.

He's good deep down inside, hence we get to see this good side not too often. A few instances are him defending Sansa and him showing his sympathy to Arya over the death of Catelyn. But he has negative qualities, mainly his temper.

:agree: I'm of the third opinion too. I think that Sandor really is good deep down. He just doesn't show that goodness that much.

I figured that would be the answer based on your deviantart links :drunk: :blushing: :hat:

:o.... B).....Nop, sorry, i love the character of the books, i must confess... :devil: .. But ,They are cute, don´t you? :love: :P

Sansa :

http://l-akara-l.deviantart.com/art/Westeros-high-TV-ser-Ep-11-A-Wild-Weekend-Sansa-270853873?q=gallery%3Al-akara-l%20randomize%3A1&qo=3

Sandor:

http://l-akara-l.deviantart.com/art/Westeros-high-TV-ser-Ep-11-A-Wild-Weekend-Sandor-270854406

I'd go away running from most of the characters in ASOIAF.

Same here! :) I liked reading your thoughts.

I think he killed him as ordered (just as Ned killed Lady) and it weighed heavily upon him.

ETA, here Ned says Cersei ordered the killing of Mycah:

“No, sweet one,” he murmured. “Grieve for your friend, but never blame yourself. You did not kill the butcher’s boy. That murder lies at the Hound’s door, him and the cruel woman he serves.”

I don't know why everyone seems to hate Sandor for killing Mycah. He was told to by his royal superiors, so he had to obey. I don't see it as being any different as Ned killing Lady.

I think that deed was horrible, but I don't hate him for it. But I'm mainly responding to say just this: Ned killing Lady was unnecessary and fucked-up too. He knew Robert was spineless and did not want Lady killed and only let that happen because he didn't want to fight over it with Cersei. I don't know why Ned felt he had to follow that order, because he could have just sent Lady back to Winterfell and suffered no consequences. What would Robert do, declare his best friend traitor for not killing his daughter's pet? He would get a public scolding at worst. And it's not like he was following the order exactly. Cersei wanted Lady killed and skinned, so she could have her pelt. Ned disregarded her wishes and ensured that wouldn't happen, so why the hell couldn't he have disregarded the entire order?

I'm glad that he realized how awful exactly what he did was before he died, at least, not that excuses him for it in my opinion. A war was not going to break out because Ned wouldn't kill his daughter's beloved innocent pet. It's hardly the worst show of defiance.

Right... :leaving:

Though...did he really choose to do it? Anyways, I guess since we don't have his POV we'll never know for sure what goes on in that mind of his. LOL

Hey, Freud's opinions are well known, not saying I approve. And like Lummel said it comes down to right and wrong, I couldn't see Barry the Bold riding down a child and cutting him nearly in two.

I think that deed was horrible, but I don't hate him for it. But I'm mainly responding to say just this: Ned killing Lady was unnecessary and fucked-up too. He knew Robert was spineless and did not want Lady killed and only let that happen because he didn't want to fight over it with Cersei. I don't know why Ned felt he had to follow that order, because he could have just sent Lady back to Winterfell and suffered no consequences. What would Robert do, declare his best friend traitor for not killing his daughter's pet? He would get a public scolding at worst. And it's not like he was following the order exactly. Cersei wanted Lady killed and skinned, so she could have her pelt. Ned disregarded her wishes and ensured that wouldn't happen, so why the hell couldn't he have disregarded the entire order?

I'm glad that he realized how awful exactly what he did was before he died, at least, not that excuses him for it in my opinion. A war was not going to break out because Ned wouldn't kill his daughter's beloved innocent pet. It's hardly the worst show of defiance.

So Sandor killing Mycha is understandable but Ned killing Lady is unforgivable :bang:

Ned was following a direct order from the king, his best friend. Allowing Lady to live would be treason, no matter how justified and Ned is nothing if not honorable.

I like Sandor because he's a conflicted character who's had a horrible childhood because of his brother, yet he isn't evil. During the tourney in Ned's honour, Gregor, a true monster, repeatedly made swings at Sandor's head yet he did not do the same.

I also like Sandor for living by his own code and having more honour than the toadies and blind followers he's surrounded by in court.

The characters of Westeros have been written “in extremis" because they live in a world "in extremis". And is for that reason that they should not be judged as if they “were born and lived" in "Our" world because they "were born and live" in a very different world.

Is very possible, if Sandor had "born" in "our" reality,that he would not had become a Beast, I not saying that it would be a "Saint" but not a "Beast” either. In the same way that in "our world" , Arya would be a "Rebel" but never a killer. Neither Ned. I can´t imagine in "our world" to a Ned that makes no jury trials, cutting head to deserters.

taking his children (his children!) to be witnessed such a barbaric act. Even, I can´t imagine to Eddard as the guy who lights the electric shear. No! In "my, our" world Ned would not have killed anyone, would be a Judge, or something like that.

That's why, I like the couple of teenagers in a high school that make Sandor and Sansa in the link of my signature, because I seem possible versions of the characters that I love if they had"born and lived" in " my, our "world.

That's why, I like the couple of teenagers in a high school that make Sandor and Sansa in the link of my signature, because I seem possible versions of the characters that I love if they had"born and lived" in " my, our "world.

I am not a mod, nor do I play one on TV, but they don't approve of linking to fanfiction on here.

To analyze the personality of Sandor, You should get in the skin of the character.

Try to imagine from the beginning:

You are a boy, you is 7 years old (black hair, grey eyes, healthy body, surely you are a handsome boy).

And you dreams with be a knight some day (Or so suggests the “metaphorical” toy). But you lives with Gregor……. He disfigures you. (not just physically but also morally). If you can not imagine it, thinks in the disfigurement that the Lannisters have provoked in Arya, is a moral disfigurement in all the ways. (Luckily she is saved from physical disfigurement.)

Not only your physical (the first image that you project to the world and your self) has been disfigured by your own brother , all your dreams of chivalry too (save a princess, a kingdom ... (because the princess will see you with disgust and horror, and men of the Kingdom, with pity (maybe), with fear or derision.)

To top it off, your brother, your personal monster becomes in all that you wanted to be: a gentleman ........a Knight ! .. Gregor...! .. : You is 11 years old.

By then, your ideas about the world of chivalry,your view of the world in general, surely it should be upside down:

(Remember what he said to Sansa? :Sansa yell him-"Why are you always so hateful? I was thanking you . . ." Sandor replies-"Just as if I was one of those true knights you love so well, yes. What do you think a knight is for, girl? You think it's all taking favors from ladies and looking fine in gold plate? Knights are for killing……#*…!!!."

And:

"There are no true knights, no more than there are gods. If you can't protect yourself, die and get out of the way of those who can. Sharp steel and strong arms rule this world, don't ever believe any different."

Sansa backed away from him. "You're awful."

"I'm honest. It's the world that's awful. Now fly away, little bird, I'm sick of you peeping at me."(another breakpoint Hound)

Archived