NaNoWriMo 2012

Durckad

My goal was to get to a total of 20k this weekend. And I got just past 21k.

This is probably going to sound weird.. I'm hoping you have all come up against this as well.

I have ways in which my characters will change location already planned. But it's like my characters are being resistant.

And I'm giving in to them a little..because word count. With the possibility that something different and entertaining might happen. Also it's something I can edit later. It's just that once they get their way. I have to think of new ways to make scene transition smooth.

If it's that bad (unless redeemed by the Ninja troll, of course) move on to a good one?

I wanted to finish it first in case its details had an effect on the next chapter in that timeline, which looks not to be so. It's 1500 words of boring: yay, people were found alive, this is great! I'll need them (to fuck stuff up) later! Except that the tone is wrong and the tension is nonexistent unless I invoke scarily accurate premonitions on the part of its narrator, and I couldn't figure out how to work out a thematic link to the next chapter in the book (different characters). Sigh. brb, sulking...

(but I have finished it. That's one plus.)

Ice cream for everybody!

I seem to have found the plot again, at least for a while, so things have picked up. Passed 16k on nano, for a total of 33k on this story, which i think is the furthest i've ever gotten on a single story. I was planning for it to be more of a long novella, coming in at about 40k, but I think it's looking like at least 50-60k now, (I couldn't resist making my mysterious murder victim a secret Valkyrie, which stretched things out a bit) but thats ok, since i've got a reasonably solid notion of how it's going to hang together from here on. This thing will have an ending, dammit.

8653 words, im guessing it will end up between 90 and 100k. Kind of winging it. Attended a write in yesrerday and managed a few thiusand words. Sittng in a cafe at the moment working on it (after checking the board, facebook, email...).

I just crossed 20k (for a total of 37k on the project, all told.) I've been rather stalled lately, but going to write-ins has helped. I really, really want to finish it. I know i'm well past the halfway point, but I just feel my interest ebbing away, the way it always does, and now it's a bit of a question of staying disciplined and writing through it. I even know what the end is, pretty much.

RL stuff has kept me from writing the last few days and so now I'm trying to play some catch-up and it's not going too well. Thankfully, I'll have 5 straight days off from work next week thanks to Thanksgiving, so I'm hoping to get some more done. I hope I can hit the 50k, but it's not looking too likely at the moment.

Thanks. But to be fair I haven't read any of the story I've written. So when I go back and do the editing thing. There is going to be some crazy plotty bits that I'm going to have to tackle.

I took the "Throw the paint can at the canvas approach and see what sticks."

And being my first time I just wanted to see if I can meet the challenge.

You are working on something that will likely be very worthwhile by the end. Also it'll make sense and stuff.

Archived