AGoT Reread: Direwolves, Dragons [eggs], Momont’s Raven, and Cats, Oh My! Pets or Providence?

evita mgfs

Wonderful research and conclusions as always, Evita.

What sticks out to me the most is Melisandre's comment. I know I've said this before but let me expand.

I wonder how she would feel if she actually saw an Other, as they're described by Will and Gilly, respectively, as white shadows. One more thing, and perhaps it's reaching but bear with me. BRIGHTER flame casts the DARKEST shadow, and the white shadows have been said to come before and during the long winters and (if it's true) The Long Night.

I know this has been discussed before but I really believe that THIS will be the heart of the Ice and Fire conflict. I don't put much stock in the importance of Drowned God and Storm God (as interesting and well-thought as those theories are). I think it's all about R'hllor and the Old Gods. But who's good and who's bad (if it's that clear at all) I cannot say.

:bowdown: :bowdown: THE PACK SURVIVES: Excellent observations, as always, Kara dear. You really made me think.. I tend to think Martin likes his cycle number of threes, so I see the fight to turn back the Night [i love saying that, for it is the theme song of the musical Spiderman on B'Way,] as being the Others as the main and most dangerous of the foes, and ALL the deities will need to join forces to fight off the Others and their Minions, so this is how we will have subsequent battles occurring elsewhere, with Arya and her allies, Howland Reed, the Drowned God, the Faceless Men, or Him of Many faces - the WATER element, along with Sansa and her allies the Seven as AIR, or the NEW GODS, then Bran as EARTH, and Dany and Jon as FIRE [the wild card, for he is both ICE and FIRE, all coming together to defeat the darkest force of all - represented by the Others.

Now, I know it sounds like The Avengers, or X-Men, or even The Magnificent Seven, but Martin does like his science fiction, doesn't he? Not that he is copying or anything; after all, the forces unifying to defeat a common foe is an archetype, is it not?

Even in Star Wars, we see the Force and its followers unite against the DARK SIDE, which I think the Others represent. Alfie Allen in his interview even suggested that the revelation of Jon's parentage has an undertone of STAR WARS to it.

Half-buried in bloodstained snow, a huge dark shape slumped in death.

Bloodstained snow is often compared to the colours of weirwood. Which could be an indication that the wolves are sent by the Old Gods.

There's actually been some speculation that the pups were sent to the Stark kids by Bloodraven. But I'm sure we'll get to that eventually when we discuss more chapters.

Also, Dark Heart, nice parallels with Cat. Not to mention Cat's throat was slit, and (if I remember correctly) the direwolf was wounded on the neck as well.

There's actually been some speculation that the pups were sent to the Stark kids by Bloodraven. But I'm sure we'll get to that eventually when we discuss more chapters.

Also, Dark Heart, nice parallels with Cat. Not to mention Cat's throat was slit, and (if I remember correctly) the direwolf was wounded on the neck as well.

Could be, but BR is like a demi-god (as far as we know at this point) himself.

Yes, and Ned's head was chopped off!!

I'm trying to prepare some things on cats but what you said here made me think of Arya and her cat associations. Cats sometimes want to show off their kills. Arya did exactly this with Dareon to the KM. Now she didn't leave Dareon's body on the doorstep of the House of Black and White but she proudly announced what she had done to her "master."

:agree: :bowdown: ARYA NYM: AWESOME CATCH [pun intended] for our cat-like Arya catching Dareon and then gifting the kindly man the boots! I should have known you would have some AMAZING insight to contribute.

I have been swamped, and have not had time to check on the Arya/Water Motif and Destiny threads lately - I am soo sorry. I am swamped with the Breaking Dawn Premiere next week November 15; we are having a 10 pm showing and a midnight showing, so I handle all the event planning - decorating the theatre. I drew over 100 + pictures colored in pastels, plus made all kinds of props, posters, etc; plus I direct my own Twi-Players and my golden Moses, then all the publicity . . . it is a lot of work.

I promise I will get there soon. I'd rather spend all my time on westeros. :wub: Funny how "real life" catches up.

Sincerely,

A SoIaF groupie and a closet Twi-crack addict. :blushing:

“The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer” (13).

I meant to analyze this further: “morning dawned” echoes a Homeric tradition in his epics the Iliad and Odyssey. Homer oft used dawn as a transitional device, beginning a new book or segment of his narrative, just as Martin does with the sun, moon, celestial objects, like the comet, and so on. Although he personified his Dawn who has “rosy fingers”.

Chapter 2 BRAN’S POV [a re-post]

Dramatic Personae

Brandon Stark, Eddard Stark, Robb Stark, Jon Snow, Theon Greyjoy, Desmond, Gared, Harwin, Hullen, Jory Cassel, Tomard

1. The first line of Bran’s first POV reads:

“The morning had dawned clear and cold, with a crispness that hinted at the end of summer” (13).

• Note the use of summer. What does this mean? For SUMMER is the very name Bran gives his pup.

• I meant to analyze this further: “morning dawned” is echoes a Homeric tradition in his epics the Iliad and Odyssey. Homer oft used dawn as a transitional device, beginning a new book or segment of his narrative, just as Martin does with the sun, moon, celestial objects, like the comet, and so on. Although he personified his Dawn who has “rosy fingers”.

1. Ned says to Bran:

“In truth, the man was an oathbreaker, a deserter from the Night’s Watch.No man is more dangerous.The deserter knows his life is forfeit if he is taken, so he will not flinch from any crime, no matter how vile” (16).

1. Ned says to Bran:

“One day Bran, you will be Robb’s bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will belong to you.When this day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away.A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is” (16).

NOW, I will ADJUST Ned’s wording to fit Bran’s situation “presently” as we know it:

“One day, Bran, you will be a greenseer, sitting a weirwood throne of your own for the old gods of the North, and justice will belong to you.When that day comes, you must take no vengeance for personal reasons, but neither must you shirk your duties as part of the godhood.A god who hides behind the face of a weirwood tree soon forgets what death is.”

I couldn’t help it.I think these words of Ned’s are significant even in regards to Bran presently.

I applied Ned’s advice to Bran the greenseer.So let me ask you, gentle readers, do you think Bran will be a vengeful god, at least at first?Why or Why not?

1. Does Ned speak with unconscious irony here, or am I overanalyzing Martin’s word choice:

“Come, let us see what mischief my sons have rooted out now” (17).

• Ned uses the verb rooted – what does this mean?
  • Do Ned’s words suggest that “rooted out” means that the direwolves are sent by the old gods, who reside in the roots of trees?

1. “The riders picked their way carefully through the drifts, grouping for solid footing on the hidden, uneven ground. Jory Cassel and Theon Greyjoy were the first to reach the boys. Theon was laughing and joking as he rode. Bran heard the breath go out of him. “Gods!” he exclaimed, struggling to keep control of his horse as he reached for his sword.

Jory’s sword was already out.“Robb, get away from it!’ he called as his horse reared under him.

• Theon says “Gods!” in conjunction to the direwolf. Is his choice of word intentional? Or is he saying ir merely as an expletive?
  • Will Bran someday hear “Theon’s breath” leave him for real in the future?

1. Robb grinned and looked up from the bundle in his arms. ‘She can’t hurt you,’ he said. ‘She’s dead, Jory.’

• Does Robb speak with unconscious irony when he suggests that the dead can’t hurt you?”

1. “A wolf,” Robb told him [Theon].

“A freak,” Greyjoy said.”

• Freak rhymes with Reek – is this a happy coincidence?

1. Half-buried in bloodstained snow, a huge dark shape slumped in death. Ice had formed in its shaggy grey fur, and the faint smell of corruption clung to it like a woman’s perfume. Bran glimpsed blind eyes crawling with maggots, a wide mouth full of yellowed teeth. But it was the size of it that made him gasp. It was bigger than his pony, twice the size of the largest hound in his father’s kennel.

“It’s no freak,” Jon said calmly.“That’s a direwolf.They grow larger than the other kind.”

Theon Greyjoy said, “There’s not been a direwolf sighted south of the wall in two hundred years,”

“I see one now,” Jon replied.

Bran tore his eyes away from the monster.That was when he noticed the bundle in Robb’s arms.He gave a cry of delight and moved close.The pup was a tiny ball of grey-black fur, its eyes still closed.It nuzzled blindly against Robb’s chest as he cradled it, searching for milk among his leathers, making a sad little whimpery sound.Bran reached out hesitantly.“Go on,” Robb told him, “You can touch him.”

Bran gave the pup a quick nervous stroke, then turned as Jon said, “Here you go.”His half-brother put a second pup into his arms.“There are five of them.”Bran sat down in the snow and hugged the wolf to his face.Its fur was soft and warm against his cheek.

• I love this passage. It so brings to mind what it is like to go to a kennel to pick out or pick up a pup – or to be smitten with a pup the minute you see it. I think pet lovers can related to the moment of first meeting your pup, and the instant connection you feel.
  • Any reactions?

1. Here is evidence that Ned takes no stock in “signs”, or does he?

“Direwolves loose in the realm, after so many years,” muttered Hullen, the master of horse.“I like it not.”

“It is a sign,” Jory said.

Father frowned.“This is only a dead animal, Jory,” he said, yet he seemed troubled.“Do we know what killed her?”

• Are the direwolves a sign?
  • From whom and why?

1. Ned says, “I am surprised she lived long enough to whelp,” he said. His voice broke the spell.

• Technically, the spell refers to Bran sensing their fear, though he does not understand the significance of the stag’s antler.
  • Does the spell suggest magic?
  • Is there a magic force at work?
  • What is rhe significance of the antler?

1. “Maybe she didn’t,” Jory said. “I’ve heard tales . . . maybe the bitch was already dead when the pups came.”

“Born with the dead,” another man put in. “Worse luck.”

• What does being born with the dead mean for the direwolves?
  • Is there any merit to this?

1. “No matter,” said Hullen. “They be dead soon enough too.”

Bran gave a wordless cry of dismay.

“The sooner the better,” Theon agreed.He drew his sword.“Give the beast here, Bran.”

“The little thing squirmed against him, as if it understood.“No!”Bran cried out fiercely.“It’s mine.”

• Is this our first indication that the pups can sense impending danger?

1. “Put away your sword, Greyjoy,” Robb said. For a moment he sounded as commanding as their father, like the lord he would someday become. “We will keep these pups” (19).

• What of Bran’s observation about Robb?
  • What of Robb’s authoritative tone here? “We will keep these pups.”

“It’d be a mercy to kill them, Hullen said. Bran looked to his father for rescue, but only got a furrowed brow.

“Hullen speaks truly, son. Better a swift death than a hard one from cold and starvation” (19).

• Some thought Bran should be put out of his misery. Any comments?

1. It is Jon who saves the day, pointing out that there are five pups, three males and two females, exactly fitting Ned’s five true born children?

These are Bran’s thoughts about Jon:

“Bran saw his father’s face change, saw the other men exchanged glances.He loved Jon with all his heart at that moment. Even at seven, Bran understood what his brother had done.The count had come right only because Jon had omitted himself.He had included the girls, included even Rickon the baby, but not the bastard who borne the first name Snow, the name that custom decreed be given to all those in the north unlucky enough to be born with no name of their own.

“You want no pup for yourself Jon?”

“The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark . . . I am no Stark, Father” (20).

• What of Jon’s selfless act here – is it selfless?
  • Is he motivated by more than meets the eye? Is he trying to impress his father by his generosity?

1. Their lord father regarded Jon thoughtfully. Robb rushed into the silence he left. “I will nurse hum myself Father,” he promised. “I will soak a towel with warm milk, and give him suck from that.”

“Me too!”Bran echoed.

The lord weighed his sons long and carefully with his eyes.“Easy to say, and harder to do.I will not have you wasting the servants’ time with this.If you want these pups, you will feed them yourselves.Is that understood?”

Bran nodded eagerly.The pup squirmed in his grasp, licked at his face with a warm tongue.

“You must train them as well . . . You must train them.The kennelmaster will have nothing to do with these monsters, I promise you that.And the gods help you if you neglect them, or brutalize them, or train them badly.These are not dogs to beg for treats and slink off at a kick.A direwolf will rip a mam’s arm off his shoulder as easily as a dog will kill a rat.Are you sure you want this?”

Yes, Father,” Bran said.

“Yes,” Robb agreed.

“The pups may die anyway, despite all you do.”

“They won’t die,” Robb said.“We won’t let them die.”

“Keep them, then.Jory, Desmond, gather up the other pups.It’s time we were back to Winterfell.”

• In how many homes has this scenario played out? How many of us begged for our first bet, and then our parents set down the law about the care and training required to be a responsible pet owner.
  • I thought we could share some of our own memories of that parental advice, and does it echo Ned’s instructions to his sons?

1. Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.

“What is it, Jon?”their lord father asked.

“Can’t you hear it?”

Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of hooves on the ironwood blanks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.

“There,” Jon said.He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge.They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in the snow, watched him kneel.A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling.

“He must have crawled away from the others,” Jon said.

“Or been driven away,” their father said, looking at the sixth pup.His fur was white, where the rest if the litter was grey.His eyes were red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning.Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

“An albino,” Theon Greyjoy said with mild amusement.“This one will die even faster than the others.”

Jon gave his father’s ward a long, chilling look.“I think not, Greyjoy,” he said.“This one belongs to me” (20).

• What exactly calls Jon back to find his direwolf?
  • Why was Ghost separated from the rest of the pack?
  • What is the significance of Ghost’s coloring?

I posted this before but it doesn't hurt to have it all in one place.

Yes, it's very interesting.

There are man, horses and found pups all making noises. But, in all of that, somehow Jon "hears" a small mute pup?

And have no problem finding white pup in white snow without sounds to guide him?

Plus, he's the only one to hear / see Ghost. I doubt he was capable of "hearing with his ears".

Mose likely Old Gods guided him to the pup.

It's reminiscent of the first time Bran "wargs" a tree. He see Ned and tries to speak with him.

While Ned can't truly "hear" Bran, he does feels something.

It's possible that Ghost and Jon already have a connection and that Ghost is calling him mentally. But it also could be that OG or BR are whispering to Jon.

As to why Ghost was separated from the rest of the pups:

I always took dead mother pup as a metaphor and symbol of both House Stark and Cat.

House Stark

- Mother DW came south (of the Wall) and died. House Stark came south (of the Neck) and "died".

Both want away from their "natural habitat" and paid for it.

- Mother DW is killed by stag's antler. House Stark trusts House Baratheon and "dies" for it.

- Gray mother DW had 5 "gray" pups. House Stark (of gray dw) have 5 "true born" children.

Cat

- Five gray pups are taking shelter and trying to nurse from a dead mother.

- Sixth white (different) pup is "driven away" and not taking protection from the dead DW.

- The white pup is found in the snow.

- Cat is now Lady Stoneheart = dead mother.

- Lyanna is dead = dead mother.

Another thing;

I was seen Jon's "sacrifice" (omitting himself from the list of Starks, not getting a pup so his siblings will) and finding a "special" pup after it as similar to RL myths of Gods testing people.

You know, the ones where the hero is presented with temptation. If he resist it or even shows willingness to sacrifices his/hers desires for the good of others he/she is rewarded.

But if they are greedy and week they are given nothing or punished.

It's a test of character. Jon only "hears" Ghost after he shown his strength and willingness to put his siblings before him.

And I have a big theory about colors of all pups.

More about it once we get to next chapter but here is the short version.

Gray Wind - Gray fur and gray in name. Robb is the next lord of WF. Stark coat of arms is a gray DW.

Summer - Gray fur, yellow eyes. Bran is lord of WF after Robb is killed. Gold eyes are connected with CotF.

Nymeria - Black and white with golden coin like eyes. House of Black and White, coins and coins to pay the way in the underworld.

Lady - Small, delicate and elegant.

Shaggydog - Black fur and green eyes. If Rickon was any older (or if the series were to last for more then two books) I'd almost believe that Rickon will be a new King Beyond the Wall (or just leader of the free people) or that he'll be the next Stark Night King.

Ghost - White with red eyes - Old gods and heart trees.

I posted this before but it doesn't hurt to have it all in one place.

Yes, it's very interesting.

There are man, horses and found pups all making noises. But, in all of that, somehow Jon "hears" a small mute pup?

And have no problem finding white pup in white snow without sounds to guide him?

Plus, he's the only one to hear / see Ghost. I doubt he was capable of "hearing with his ears".

Mose likely Old Gods guided him to the pup.

It's reminiscent of the first time Bran "wargs" a tree. He see Ned and tries to speak with him.

While Ned can't truly "hear" Bran, he does feels something.

It's possible that Ghost and Jon already have a connection and that Ghost is calling him mentally. But it also could be that OG or BR are whispering to Jon.

As to why Ghost was separated from the rest of the pups:

I always took dead mother pup as a metaphor and symbol of both House Stark and Cat.

House Stark

- Mother DW came south (of the Wall) and died. House Stark came south (of the Neck) and "died".

Both want away from their "natural habitat" and paid for it.

- Mother DW is killed by stag's antler. House Stark trusts House Baratheon and "dies" for it.

- Gray mother DW had 5 "gray" pups. House Stark (of gray dw) have 5 "true born" children.

Cat

- Five gray pups are taking shelter and trying to nurse from a dead mother.

- Sixth white (different) pup is "driven away" and not taking protection from the dead DW.

- The white pup is found in the snow.

- Cat is now Lady Stoneheart = dead mother.

- Lyanna is dead = dead mother.

Another thing;

I was seen Jon's "sacrifice" (omitting himself from the list of Starks, not getting a pup so his siblings will) and finding a "special" pup after it as similar to RL myths of Gods testing people.

You know, the ones where the hero is presented with temptation. If he resist it or even shows willingness to sacrifices his/hers desires for the good of others he/she is rewarded.

But if they are greedy and week they are given nothing or punished.

It's a test of character. Jon only "hears" Ghost after he shown his strength and willingness to put his siblings before him.

And I have a big theory about colors of all pups.

More about it once we get to next chapter but here is the short version.

Gray Wind - Gray fur and gray in name. Robb is the next lord of WF. Stark coat of arms is a gray DW.

Summer - Gray fur, yellow eyes. Bran is lord of WF after Robb is killed. Gold eyes are connected with CotF.

Nymeria - Black and white with golden coin like eyes. House of Black and White, coins and coins to pay the way in the underworld.

Lady - Small, delicate and elegant.

Shaggydog - Black fur and green eyes. If Rickon was any older (or if the series were to last for more then two books) I'd almost believe that Rickon will be a new King Beyond the Wall (or just leader of the free people) or that he'll be the next Stark Night King.

Ghost - White with red eyes - Old gods and heart trees.

:agree: :bowdown: :bowdown: DARK HEART: This is really brilliant [this took time and thought to write, I can tell]- lots of wonderful observations I definitely agree with:

1. Jon and Ghost already linked this early in the novel - Jon is strategically guided to Ghost by his mental telepathy, a silent power showing a warg connection in the first POV proper.

Bran, as well, and I believe Little Wing noted, how he seems already mentally connected to his direwolf pup, protecting it from passionate, sword-waving Theon.

2.Your suggestions on colorings is amazing as well - the true born Starks get the grey pups - Jon - the outsider, so to speak, not a trueborn Stark, gets the pup white as SNOW.

3. I also love your allusion to the archtypical theme of hero resisting temptation only to be rewarded after - it fits Jon, and maybe some others as well, for all the direwolves are gifts from the old gods, so to speak, or the CotF.

4. All the Greek mythology inferences I of course love.

The direwolves and their coloring, your analysis is spot on as far as I can see. Remarkable insight and a joy to read. :love:

Evita: I've commented on the 'born with the dead' phrase earlier, about it being foreboding on the Stark kids. You might want to read it back. It's on the previous page I think :)

:ack: MANDERLY'S COOK RAT: So sorry! I will check it now - or shortly. Apologize again! I screwed myself up but good by my foible. :dunce: :dunno:

This chapter is wonderful indeed, showcasing the Stark children's compassion when almost everyone around them wants to kill the direwolves right there, and Jon's calm perceptiveness that persuaded Ned to adopt the pups :wub:

I simply love how the connection is instant, right there - Summer feels fear when Bran is frightened and calms down when Bran is no longer worried. Not to mention Jon "hearing" Ghost. Their connection is definitely the most interesting... very mysterious and intimate.

I love how Ned took a long thoughtful look at Jon when he said he's not a Stark therefore making the count right - I thought Ned was thinking (if R+L=J) something like "oh, if you only knew the truth.." How much the injustice of it all must have hurt Ned.. and not being able to tell Jon the truth... aw, man... I'd be frustrated out of my mind!

Also, this is the chapter that started it all in GRRM's mind :wub: This is where it all started...

Haha yeah, it's all messed up anyway now, and I'm excited about my findings :P

I stuck to the animals :) And left the horses out, because they just seem to be there, nothing more :P

Bran:

Theon Greyjoy said, "There's not been a direwolf sighted south of the Wall in two hundred years."

The last dragon died during the reign of Aegon III, somewhere between 131-157 AL, which is roughly 150 years before AgoT, is it possible the Direwolves extinguished south of the Wall with the Dragons? Or at least the healthy dragons..

His father tossed the antler to the side and cleansed his hands in the snow. "I'm surprised she lived long enough to whelp," he said. His voice broke the spell.

"Maybe she didn't," Jory said. "I've heard tales . . . maybe the bitch was already dead when the pups came."

"Born with the dead," another man put in. "Worse luck."

So perhaps the pups are born 'with the dead', the same as the Stark kids' power awakens when the dead come walking. The same as (probably) Jon Snow was born from a dying Lyanna. The same as Bran opening his third eye in the crypts amidst the dead. The same as Arya's warg powers awake in the House of Black and White, the house of death. The same as Jon's true powers will probably awake now he's either almost dead, or truly dead. Interesting...

:agree: :bowdown: MANDERLY'S RAT COOK: Yes! I read this but did not respond. I definitely love all that you have to say, and I see the brilliant posts that followed, taking inspiration from your lead to prove it is JUST SO!

I do agree there is an apparent connection with the White Walkers, death, and the nature of the many death situations others have related to this instance!

OUTSTANDING JOB! You obviously put a a lot of time, thought, and effort into your posts. Great Work! You win a Squirrel: :dunno: http://ladyevyta.tumblr.com/post/35099190575/squirrel-pumpkin-carving

I'll start by reposting what I already did when you posted it the first time, so we can discuss it better.

“It’s no freak,” Jon said calmly.“That’s a direwolf.They grow larger than the other kind.”

Theon Greyjoy said, “There’s not been a direwolf sighted south of the wall in two hundred years,”

“I see one now,” Jon replied.

1. Here is evidence that Ned takes no stock in “signs”, or does he?

“Direwolves loose in the realm, after so many years,” muttered Hullen, the master of horse.“I like it not.”

“It is a sign,” Jory said.

I think most Northerners are greatly more superficial than others', but Ned doesn't seem to be worrying about signs and old tales. I don't think he drew a supernatural conclusion with this. When Hullen says "direwolves loose in the realm after so many years," I got the distinct impression of WINTER. In another book it was mentioned how in the old days, direwolf packs used to prowl the woods even south of the Wall. Ned's worry here striked me as a parallel to his House's words. Winter is coming. Seeing a direwolf south of the Wall may have made him think that this winter will be colder and longer. But as I said, I don't think he drew any supernatural conclusions.

1. Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.

“What is it, Jon?”their lord father asked.

“Can’t you hear it?”

Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of hooves on the ironwood blanks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.

“There,” Jon said.He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge.They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in the snow, watched him kneel.A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling.

“He must have crawled away from the others,” Jon said.

“Or been driven away,” their father said, looking at the sixth pup.His fur was white, where the rest if the litter was grey.His eyes were red as the blood of the ragged man who had died that morning.Bran thought it curious that this pup alone would have opened his eyes while the others were still blind.

“An albino,” Theon Greyjoy said with mild amusement.“This one will die even faster than the others.”

Jon gave his father’s ward a long, chilling look.“I think not, Greyjoy,” he said.“This one belongs to me” (20).

As for the Ghost part... I'm not sure what exactly drew him to find Ghost, seeing as we read the chapter from a Bran POV and he didn't seem to hear anything. But seeing as Jon IS a warg and all Stark kids have a special connections with their direwolves, it makes sense that he may have felt drawn towards finding him. And I always interpreted Ghost's colouring as Jon being slightly separated/different from the rest of his pack, much like Ghost was, but if any of you have a more interesting conclusion, please do share =)

• Robb grinned and looked up from the bundle in his arms. ‘She can’t hurt you,’ he said. ‘She’s dead, Jory.’
  • ​“A freak,” Greyjoy said.”

And yep. Definitely major ironies here xD Us readers know that the dead CAN hurt people.

And freak rhymes with Reek xP

I'll start by reposting what I already did when you posted it the first time, so we can discuss it better.

I think most Northerners are greatly more superficial than others', but Ned doesn't seem to be worrying about signs and old tales. I don't think he drew a supernatural conclusion with this. When Hullen says "direwolves loose in the realm after so many years," I got the distinct impression of WINTER. In another book it was mentioned how in the old days, direwolf packs used to prowl the woods even south of the Wall. Ned's worry here striked me as a parallel to his House's words. Winter is coming. Seeing a direwolf south of the Wall may have made him think that this winter will be colder and longer. But as I said, I don't think he drew any supernatural conclusions.

As for the Ghost part... I'm not sure what exactly drew him to find Ghost, seeing as we read the chapter from a Bran POV and he didn't seem to hear anything. But seeing as Jon IS a warg and all Stark kids have a special connections with their direwolves, it makes sense that he may have felt drawn towards finding him. And I always interpreted Ghost's colouring as Jon being slightly separated/different from the rest of his pack, much like Ghost was, but if any of you have a more interesting conclusion, please do share =)

And yep. Definitely major ironies here xD Us readers know that the dead CAN hurt people.

And freak rhymes with Reek xP

:bowdown: :agree: THE PACK SURVIVES: I love that you get my "wicked" sense of humor! Poor Reek, or NOT! Anyways, fine analysis. I agree with Jon and Ghost having a special connection from the moment they neared one another. Jon may have heard something in his own mind calling him to the pup - sort of like ants, who use their antenna as a mental telepathy so they can communicate with one another. [Ants are fascinating little insects - they organize an army, send out advance scouts who report back to little ant leaders, they hold allegiance to their Queen ant, and so much more. If you are interested in ants, watch The Naked Jungle starring Charleton Heston, or read the short story "Leiningen Versus the Ants" by Carl Stephenson]

wow, don't know where the "ant thing" came from. I just wanted to show my diversity, and to tease you!

Can you even imagine Martin's genius? To know from the beginning of his first novel in the very, very, very first POV, he puts in "freak" - I cannot even use the word without thinking of "Theon"!

And then the irony - from page one! Brilliant! To jump again, in the next POV, and this is just to illustrate and emphasize his brilliance, Ned cleans Ice sitting in the very repose as the Stark stone statues in the crypt!! His death is foreshadowed that early! Maybe even earlier! I just am consistently amazed.

Ghost is my favorite direwolf of all - because he is his own spirit and runs free where ever he so chooses. Ghost even slips out and back in Jon's quarters, and many a time Jon will say., "OH, you decided to come back, did you?" I am paraphrasing, of course.

He is like my golden Isis - she likes to run ahead of me on the trail, go down to the river, swim, pretend-to-catch a goose or duck - and I have to call her back to the pack or she will while away her hours splashing away and annoying anything with feathers.

Ghost does the same. He races off in the snow, then ignores Jon when Jon calls him, I can just picture him peeking around a tree, snickering at Jon as Jon calls, "Ghost, to me!"

Ghost is a dead on link to the old gods; I do not think there is any denying this, And others, Like Dark Heart, have analyzed the coloring and interps therein in her posts.. Overall, you've done a super job, considering itis our first go around.

Keep it up! :love:

You wing a squirrel! http://ladyevyta.tum...ng-a-beanie-cap

This is a general question I had about the Bran POV. Concerning Ghost, why are his eyes opened as opposed to the other direwolves, who are born "blind" - or their eyes have not yet opened?

Does this indicate that he is from a different litter of pups? Or is he "advanced" enough, and that apart from his litte rmates, that he opens his eyes first?

:agree: :bowdown: :bowdown: DARK HEART: This is really brilliant [this took time and thought to write, I can tell]- lots of wonderful observations I definitely agree with:

1. Jon and Ghost already linked this early in the novel - Jon is strategically guided to Ghost by his mental telepathy, a silent power showing a warg connection in the first POV proper.

Bran, as well, and I believe Little Wing noted, how he seems already mentally connected to his direwolf pup, protecting it from passionate, sword-waving Theon.

2.Your suggestions on colorings is amazing as well - the true born Starks get the grey pups - Jon - the outsider, so to speak, not a trueborn Stark, gets the pup white as SNOW.

3. I also love your allusion to the archtypical theme of hero resisting temptation only to be rewarded after - it fits Jon, and maybe some others as well, for all the direwolves are gifts from the old gods, so to speak, or the CotF.

4. All the Greek mythology inferences I of course love.

The direwolves and their coloring, your analysis is spot on as far as I can see. Remarkable insight and a joy to read. :love:

Thank you!

I'm keeping the longer, more detailed theories about their colors for later. I'll post it once we "see" more of DW pups.

I do find it interesting that "true born" pups are all gray at birth, but later only Gray Wind, Summer and Lady stay gray.

Gray Wind and Summer are appropriate because both Robb and Bran end up becoming lords of WF.

Lady is harder to decide on. Maybe it symbolize Sansa's "claim" to WF?

Or is it that when Lady is killed part of Sansa's "Stark" identity (connection to North and warging) is lost for a time? But that it will come back "harder and stronger" (Sansa thinking about a ghost wolf howling could be seen as Ghost but also as a ghost of dead Lady)?

Or it could be that boy/girl inheritance rules will be changed by the end of the series and Sansa will be the Lady of WF?

Nymeria changes from being gray to black and white with "gold eyes" (she described as golden eyes by multiple characters. And her eyes are different from yellow eyes of her gray siblings). That perfectly foreshadow Arya serving in the HoBaW (and trying to be "no one" and not a Stark), coins (the one she gets, the one she kills with, the golden dragon she takes, the golden dragon that Alchemist uses to kill) and mythological associations with coins (coin to pay Charon for passage, coins placed on eyes of the dead...).

Shaggydog . . . Shaggydog bothers me.

He could be just a way to show that Rickon is wild (behavior and being raised by wildings) and full of anger (he's a kid and everybody left him. Dad, mom, Robb even Bran).

But it could be something more sinister.

This is a general question I had about the Bran POV. Concerning Ghost, why are his eyes opened as opposed to the other direwolves, who are born "blind" - or their eyes have not yet opened?

Does this indicate that he is from a different litter of pups? Or is he "advanced" enough, and that apart from his litte rmates, that he opens his eyes first?

Hm, maybe it's because he's a "bastard's" pup?

You know how a lot of characters comment that "the bastards grow up faster then other kids". And that bastards learn to see more and better then "true born" children.

Ghost with his eyes open could be symbol of both.

He grew up faster then his siblings and he sees more.

Thank you!

I'm keeping the longer, more detailed theories about their colors for later. I'll post it once we "see" more of DW pups.

I do find it interesting that "true born" pups are all gray at birth, but later only Gray Wind, Summer and Lady stay gray.

Gray Wind and Summer are appropriate because both Robb and Bran end up becoming lords of WF.

Lady is harder to decide on. Maybe it symbolize Sansa's "claim" to WF?

Or is it that when Lady is killed part of Sansa's "Stark" identity (connection to North and warging) is lost for a time? But that it will come back "harder and stronger" (Sansa thinking about a ghost wolf howling could be seen as Ghost but also as a ghost of dead Lady)?

Or it could be that boy/girl inheritance rules will be changed by the end of the series and Sansa will be the Lady of WF?

Nymeria changes from being gray to black and white with "gold eyes" (she described as golden eyes by multiple characters. And her eyes are different from yellow eyes of her gray siblings). That perfectly foreshadow Arya serving in the HoBaW (and trying to be "no one" and not a Stark), coins (the one she gets, the one she kills with, the golden dragon she takes, the golden dragon that Alchemist uses to kill) and mythological associations with coins (coin to pay Charon for passage, coins placed on eyes of the dead...).

He could be just a way to show that Rickon is wild (behavior and being raised by wildings) and full of anger (he's a kid and everybody left him. Dad, mom, Robb even Bran).

Hm, maybe it's because he's a "bastard's" pup?

You know how a lot of characters comment that "the bastards grow up faster then other kids". And that bastards learn to see more and better then "true born" children.

Ghost with his eyes open could be symbol of both.

He grew up faster then his siblings and he sees more.

:agree: :bowdown: :bowdown: DARK HEART: Your HEART IS NOT DARK AT ALL, truly. It is a heart full of love. I cannot wait to read more of your analyses. You offer so much to the group overall, and now with your observations of the direwolves. They are my personal favs in the animal world of Martin for I am such a dog lover. [However, I love the dragons and Mormont's raven equally as well - sort of. I think maybe the wolves are a tiny tad bit above the dragons and raven - the dragons are growing more dangerous after DwD, and Mormont's raven is becoming more and more prophetic - so I am eager to see how this all plays out!]

Anyways, I like your suggestion about Ghost being a 'base born' direwolf. It fits perfectly with Jon. Maybe we will learn more about Ghost's parentage along with Jon's parentage in the future? Hmm. Has my wheels spinning on that prospect. When Jon finally wargs Ghost, we may be enlightened to many, many things - for if Ghost is representative of the old gods and has been sent by them, then BAM! Jon will learn the knowledge deep as the roots of trees, the knowledge the First Men knew now forgotten in Winterfell, but remembered in the Neck.

I have worried about Shaggydog as well. He reminds me of a pit bull breed with a bite that locks. After Ghost's wolf-vision of Shaggydog taking down a unicorn and un-horning it, well, that sounds like an unhappy event. Although maybe these unicorns are vicious man-eating beasts, and not the unicorns of fairie stories that I am familiar with! I am sure Martin has put a sharp edge on his version of the mystical beasts.

Until Rickon learns discipline - and how to master his obvious 'wolf's blood' - he may indeed be a wild card - :dunce: :crying: and an irresponsible pet owner who allows his wolf to go unleashed here and about. I hope with Osha's wise guidance, he learns - and if Davos finds him, mayhap he can be a surrogate father-figure for poor baby Rickon. He is soo young to have such a responsibility as a direwolf, yes?

Regarding Sansa - yes, you are spot on with your analogy. I am hoping that since she has been the "little bird" locked in her Eyrie, or cage, she will sprout wings metaphorically and fly over her brothers and sisters as a force of AIR. [That is my crackpot theory]. Since she loses Lady, another animal will call to her. And we know both BR and Bran are flying around on already ridden ravens, yes? :dunno:

Again, AWESOME WORK! :love:

You win a squirrel - a squirrel wearing a hat: http://ladyevyta.tumblr.com/post/35093190416/squirrel-buckeye-squirrel-wearing-a-beanie-cap

Great analysis Dark Heart! And Evita too! Thanks for the squirrel yesterday, I wanted to be a squirrel when I was a kid (also a fairy princess, and a lion).

About Shaggydog: I've mentioned this before, but Shaggy's colours are the exact opposite of Ghost's. Red and green are complementary colours (opposite), and so are black and white. I think this could mean that they end up on opposite sides, or that they will need each other to complement the other. Yellow is the colour in the middle between green and red, and grey is in between black and white.

Their eye colours are also the colours of the eyes of CotF and people who have greendreams (like Jojen, and some of the CotF). We already know that Rickon had at least one greendream, about Ned's death.

Great analysis Dark Heart! And Evita too! Thanks for the squirrel yesterday, I wanted to be a squirrel when I was a kid (also a fairy princess, and a lion).

About Shaggydog: I've mentioned this before, but Shaggy's colours are the exact opposite of Ghost's. Red and green are complementary colours (opposite), and so are black and white. I think this could mean that they end up on opposite sides, or that they will need each other to complement the other. Yellow is the colour in the middle between green and red, and grey is in between black and white.

Their eye colours are also the colours of the eyes of CotF and people who have greendreams (like Jojen, and some of the CotF). We already know that Rickon had at least one greendream, about Ned's death.

:agree: :bowdown: :bowdown: MANDERLY'S RAT COOK: Good observations about Shaggy [and isn't it delightful you wanted to be a squirrel! I wanted to be a cat! And Lady from Lady and the Tramp!] I also thought, and pardon if I said this before, that Ghost is counterpoint to Dany's Drogon, but your analysis of Ghost and Shaggy being polar entities is BRILLIANT! Some things most obvious go "right over my head" - so it is always good to be enlightened.

I also thought all the direwolves had eyes likened to the CotF and their greenseer Bloodraven. Maybe I should find that passage again and post it here - the one from DwD where Leaf explains how the old gods "mark" those likely to be the "chosen few" to receive there gift.

And as I write this, my mind spins to Arya and her god HIm of Many Faces, where she may well have been marked as one to give the 'GIFT OF DEATH' on behalf of a god who chooses only those most worthy to receive his gift.

Keep up the amazing work - you and all the others posting as well.

:agree: :bowdown: :bowdown: MANDERLY'S RAT COOK: Good observations about Shaggy [and isn't it delightful you wanted to be a squirrel! I wanted to be a cat! And Lady from Lady and the Tramp!] I also thought, and pardon if I said this before, that Ghost is counterpoint to Dany's Drogon, but your analysis of Ghost and Shaggy being polar entities is BRILLIANT! Some things most obvious go "right over my head" - so it is always good to be enlightened.

Thanks :) The opposite (or rather complementary) eye-colours stood out to me, because as an artist I work with colours a lot. Ghost being white, and Shaggy black (and Nymeria black and white), also seems to imply a connection to the HoB&W, they might need Arya to build a bridge between them. - There are a lot of bridges mentioned in WF, and Sansa get's very frustrated when the bridges in her snowcastle keep collapsing.

Archived