what timeframe wil TWoW cover?

HTN02

Since it not has its own topic, and only bin discussed on side notes in other topics, i decided to post my first new topic.

At the end of ADwD, winter has come to Westeros.

i think its GRRM's answer to the "meereenese knot".

Winter will give Dany, Arya, Sam, Rickon etc the time they need to finish there training/growing up they need to do for the final roles they will play.

as we already have seen with Stannis, Winter will slow down everything. a march will take months instead of weeks.

On the other side, how long will the Others wait before moving south? as they will not be defeated in the next book, and they thrive in winter where they can move quickly.

How much time you think TWoW will cover?

I was discussing this with a friend of mine and we both think it will span a while. It may even span a few years. We sort of discussed Martin getting everybody in position to "wait" for Dany to get to Westeros. Possibly some sort of seige for the Northern wars. I think while that gets started Dany will begin to get moving this way. Meanwhile in KL we get the transition of Aegon ton the thone. He may be able to let some time pass for some of the characters to grow (physcially, mentally and emotionally) offscreen so to speak.

If Others move past the Wall, the the Wall will become the most useless construction in human history. It was built for event that happens only once in 8000 years and when it finally happens it doesn't work :shocked: ?

It seems, imo, likely that it will be linked to the "failing" of the NW or the lack of a Stark in WF rather than the Wall not working, per se. Personally, I think the idea that the strength is in the men not the way (as hinted at by Old Nan,) is quite a poetic way to go and is in line with the theme of the series.

It will probably be a year. Unless the book is split up into two books. There is going to happen so much in the near future that there's no way you're gonna write a book spannign two years without writing the next 6 months in detail. That means 500 pages at least spannign six months or so.

If Others move past the Wall, the the Wall will become the most useless construction in human history. It was built for event that happens only once in 8000 years and when it finally happens it doesn't work :shocked: ?

As we know from Eddard, a wall is only as strong as the men who hold it.

as such, i dont expect anything from the wall.

personally i dont think they will take it down like that. but a big hole should be possible.

It will probably be a year. Unless the book is split up into two books. There is going to happen so much in the near future that there's no way you're gonna write a book spannign two years without writing the next 6 months in detail. That means 500 pages at least spanning six months or so.

good point. however, GRRM sometimes describes even important events very short; like with oxcross, we hear it second or third hand. Brienne's hanging; we only know she survived because she was seen by jamie later on.

It will probably be a year. Unless the book is split up into two books. There is going to happen so much in the near future that there's no way you're gonna write a book spannign two years without writing the next 6 months in detail. That means 500 pages at least spannign six months or so.

We know the first book was at least around a year if not significantly longer, a year and a half.

We know that from the Theon sample chapter and from the fact that Aegon has taken Storm's End by the end of ADWD that it'll start a little bit before the end of ADWD. I think TWOW is gonna start out with Storm's End falling then move to the Meerenese knot before shit hits the fan at Winterfell. All of that will probably be the first half of the book. If the first half covers that much then the second half should be just as eventful.

It will be shifting back and forth through a lot of different temporal events.

At the end though, I think we shall have covered a few months. No more.

If this happens it will quite disappointing, and then i don't think ADOS is going to be the last book in ASOIAF series.

A WInter that lasts for two years? A Long Night, indeed

How much time you think TWoW will cover?

Several characters in the books (or maybe the show?) have said that a long summer means a long winter. Then if we go by that belief it means the upcoming seasonal change will be a multi-year winter.

It is my opinion that if the clash between Men and Others (and/or dragons) is not meant to be anticlimactic and GRRM instead means to shows us a world going through a new kind of Long Night, then I think there has to be a time jump of some sort. I don't think the narrative will suffer if this occurs.

In winter there isn't much to do other than hunker down and try to keep warm.

In ADwD while Stannis marched towards Winterfell many many days passed by and that story didn't lose a beat. It was still entertaining.

Once winter has truly set I think if GRRM does something like that in where many days pass by between events, quite some time could burn through (maybe this gives time for the Others to sweep south, Sam to become maester, and Dany to sail west among other things).

If this happens it will quite disappointing, and then i don't think ADOS is going to be the last book in ASOIAF series.

Why will it be disappointing? I couldn't care less how much time is covered as long as the stuff that happens within it is interesting.

Thing is, I think that much of the early part of the back will be flicking back and forth between events that aren't automatically happening at the same time.

I think it's probably safe to say that a few weeks (no more) passed (at least in Westerosi chapters) from the time that AFFC ends and the extended period of ADWD begins. Even so, when we rejoin the narrative in TWOW, I think all these characters will have their opening chapters take place prior to say, Jon's stabbing at the wall.

Aeron

Davos

Sansa

Brienne

Jaime

Areo/Arianne

Theon (confirmed by GRRM).

Sam

The narrative is so disjointed at the moment (I don't say that as a criticism) that I think it will take much of the book before everyone's chapters are taking place anywhere near simultaneously.

I certainly don't think the book will take place over years. Euron, Varys, LF, our primary plot drivers are not men to wait.

I would like to see a book that starts off cleaning up all the mess left by ADWD and then a good gape of time. GrrM Always wanted a five year gap for some of the younger characters to grow up. I say right in the middle of nothing happening in winter would be great. Then we finish the book off with full grown dragons, a badass Arya, a badass Rickon, a super tree god Bran, and a more Catelyn like Sansa. That’s my hope at least.

I feel like we need a good few years of winter before this story can properly finish but having the book cover any more than 2 and a half years would seem a bit rushed to me (even if TWOW and ADOS are mammoth books) particularly when the other books didn't cover very long periods of time.

My hat goes off to GRRM - this must be a bloody difficult series to write! He's had to change his plans so many times. But he doesn't seem the kind of writer who would leave any loose ends and there is so much going on that it doesn't seem possible that the story could be wrapped up so easily in 2 books. If he manages to do it without sacrificing detail I will be very impressed.

I definitely don't see how A Dream of Spring will be the last book in this series either.....

That being said the books have made a point about the winter being long and hard so I thin 1 or 2 books will cover the entire winter and perhaps Spring will return again for later books in the series. I'd like to see a grown up Arya, Jon Snow, etc etc.

I'm not sure about how much time will pass in the book, but I think that ADOS will occur mostly during winter with the potential end of winter seen only towards the end of the 7th book. This gives maybe four or five years in book time for the story to be wrapped up. Of course, I could be very wrong.

Why will it be disappointing? I couldn't care less how much time is covered as long as the stuff that happens within it is interesting.

It will be disappointing because i don't want to read another ADWD where in the story did not move as much as it was expected.

Archived