Ran

So, this is now published, the official companion app to the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Linda and I had a hand in it, and mostly it just covers information that hardcore fans already know or know how to find.

But, there are some new things in there, straight from George. And I'm going to reveal one of them:

GRRM finally gave us the age of Ser Gerold Dayne. As some of you know, one speculation is that he's in fact Aegon Targaryen. Another that I've seen recently is that he's in fact father to Aegon, by way of Ashara, or something. In the former case, he'd have to be about 18, give or take. In the latter, he'd have to be about of an age with poor, dead Ned, so mid to late 30s.

He is neither. Straight from the GRRM, he's in his "late twenties". 26-29. He'd have been about 9-12 at the time of Robert's Rebellion, much too old for Aegon, much too young for Ashara.

:smoking:

This inspired me to download the app, so thank you and very nice job. I am kind of curious though. In looking through it, the rest of the Daynes (aside from Edric, I think) are noticeably omitted, which of course only furthers my curiosity about them-- it looks like there aren't any entries on the rest. Do you happen to know if this is something that will be added before the next book in an update or the like, or information we'll only get after we "keep reading?"

I can't say what future update plans are. I think the focus had been primarily on characters present at the time of the novels, with only the occasional pre-novels character sneaking in. Perhaps there'll be more of those, down the road.

I should add that this World of Ice and Fire app is not the same thing as the World of Ice and Fire book. The name might confuse things, I guess. :)

As to the Aerion Brightflame theory, seems to me that the moment when Arianne thinks she'd have children as beautiful as dragonlords with Darkstar would be the exact moment when we'd be told that that's because Darkstar has a drop of Targaryen blood from several generations ago. So, you know where I stand on that one. ;)

Dorkstar? Douchestar? Everybody seems quite cynical about Darkstar. The fact is... we know nothing ;) all we have si a few facts, and Doran's words to Arianne, and by know you should know that Doran is a liar. In fact, i guess he's the Big Liar. He lied to Arianne several times, and at the end, he always find great excuses. And... eh... someone really believes Doran when he told Arianne that he knows about her plan on crowning Myrcella, but he didn't stopped it because he was expecting her beloved sweet girl to change her mind? There are people who talk, yes... specially if they were on the plot since the beginning. it was cool that thing about the viper and the grass, quite a Zen guy this Doran, but i now tend to think that the real viper is not already gone.

Anyway, we have to wait for see. I seriously doubt it ending with a combat with Swann. Something different is to happend in High Hermitage.

Dorkstar? Douchestar? Everybody seems being quite cynical about Darkstar. The fact is... we know nothing ;) all we have is Doran's words to Arianne, and by know you should know that Doran is a liar. In fact, i guess he's the Big Liar. He lied to Arianne several times, and at the end, he always find great excuses. Anyway, we have to wait for see. I seriously doubt about it ending with a combat with Swann. Something different is to happend in High Hermitage.

We do know something about Dorkstar. We know that he says

Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.
without any hint of irony, and we know that he is incapable of defeating an unarmed young girl.

Dorkstar? Douchestar? Everybody seems being quite cynical about Darkstar. The fact is... we know nothing ;) all we have is Doran's words to Arianne, and by know you should know that Doran is a liar.
"You should never have got Darkstar involved in this plan. He's the least dangerous man in Dorne. You had absolutely no chance of success with him on board. Seriously, I saw him try to fight his way out of a paper bag once."

Archived