Ran

I think if Jaime had waltzed on the scene, proclaimed that they call him the Kingslayer, for he slayed the king, and the proceeded to push Bran out the window, then disappear, we would all think he was a douche. I would venture to guess that most people who are Jaime fans didn't like him until he got a POV, and even then, not until he did some things to redeem himself. I still can't say I forgive Jaime for what he did to Bran, or even that I "like" him, but I do find him to be one of the most interesting characters. Darkstar... yeah not so much. Not saying I want to see a Darkstar POV (gods, please no), but maybe if we find out more about him I won't think he's Douchestar.

I do not agree that if we knew as little of the Kingslayer as we know of Darkstar we would laugh as much of him.

The Kingslayer's oneliner in that chapter, "the things I do for love" is not even half self incensing and ridiculous as the Darkstar's.

And the inmediate result of the gesture is hate, not suspension of the suspension of disbelief.

I do not know what to hope about Darkstar, because if he is just a douche, it means a rethinking of the plot by Martin: maybe in the original idea he WAS "Aegon", that now is the kid we read about in aDwD. We are almost all sure that Darkstar had to do something crucial when he was so selfentitlingly presented.

So I find myself hoping to know more of his "great gestures", even if I find him the least credible and one of the least interesting characters in the whole ASOIAF and D&E tales.

I really don't know why there is so much Darkstar hate, the dude has the best one liner in the series, and he's mysterious and dangerous. Ok ya, he does slash Mrycella, but It wasn't done out of hate for her, I thought of it as a blood debt.

I really don't know why there is so much Darkstar hate, the dude has the best one liner in the series, and he's mysterious and dangerous. Ok ya, he does slash Mrycella, but It wasn't done out of hate for her, I thought of it as a blood debt.

The best one liner? Come on, it sounds like something out of a low budget horror flick. What kind of a self-respecting knight/warrior/person introduces themselves with "Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night?" It's like asking "Do you know who I am?" It can only end badly because if your reputation was deserved you wouldn't have to tell people who you are.

I do not agree that if we knew as little of the Kingslayer as we know of Darkstar we would laugh as much of him.

The Kingslayer's oneliner in that chapter, "the things I do for love" is not even half self incensing and ridiculous as the Darkstar's.

And the inmediate result of the gesture is hate, not suspension of the suspension of disbelief.

I do not know what to hope about Darkstar, because if he is just a douche, it means a rethinking of the plot by Martin: maybe in the original idea he WAS "Aegon", that now is the kid we read about in aDwD. We are almost all sure that Darkstar had to do something crucial when he was so selfentitlingly presented.

So I find myself hoping to know more of his "great gestures", even if I find him the least credible and one of the least interesting characters in the whole ASOIAF and D&E tales.

I agree, "the things I do for love" gives at least a reason behind Jaime's actions. But if Jaime had said something equally as dumb as Darkstar's line (i.e. They call me Kingslayer, for I slayed the King), and then never saw Jaime again, we would think Jaime was as douchey as Darkstar.

Ha, Kingslayer and Darkstar really do parallel don't they, cute nicknames, one's shining and mysterious the other dark and mysterious. a melodramatic one liner and failure to kill an unarmed child. If we'd seen as little of Kingslayer as Darkstar we'd all be rolling our eyes the same. Oooh look at me prancing about in my shiny as the sun golden armor. Tee hee I may look like Goldilocks but everybody says I'm the deadliest man in the west and they fear me for I am the KINGSLAYER.

King Faiure and Dorkstar. Ha.

:eek: I will never be able to think of Jaime quite the same way. Now I have an image of him prancing about with his hair in pig tails. :)

I think if Jaime had waltzed on the scene, proclaimed that they call him the Kingslayer, for he slayed the king, and the proceeded to push Bran out the window, then disappear, we would all think he was a douche. I would venture to guess that most people who are Jaime fans didn't like him until he got a POV, and even then, not until he did some things to redeem himself. I still can't say I forgive Jaime for what he did to Bran, or even that I "like" him, but I do find him to be one of the most interesting characters. Darkstar... yeah not so much. Not saying I want to see a Darkstar POV (gods, please no), but maybe if we find out more about him I won't think he's Douchestar.

The bolded part is the big thing that does it for me. We learn about Jaime, Sandor, Theon, and others through the actual story. Darkstar has to tell us his name. If you have to tell people you're called Darkstar, it's an automatic disqualification for bad-ass status in my book.

I'm not sure it's hate exactly, more that many of us take joy at mocking just about every aspect of his character.

I agree, "the things I do for love" gives at least a reason behind Jaime's actions. But if Jaime had said something equally as dumb as Darkstar's line (i.e. They call me Kingslayer, for I slayed the King), and then never saw Jaime again, we would think Jaime was as douchey as Darkstar.

This is a good point. Now that I think about it, both Jaime and Sandor are the exact opposite to 'ole Gerold here. Jaime doesn't like the name Kingslayer and wants to be called Jaime, it's a pretty big element of the story between him and Brienne. With Sandor, he has his Hound persona yet we see him moving further away until it finally dies. Now, we have the most dangerous man in Dorne who feels the need to run around telling everyone his nickname. Not quite as compelling.

I'm glad the age thing has been cleared up. I'm also glad for the laughs, especially from Summer is Ending. I have all sorts of terrible songs stuck in my head now.

This app seems pretty cool. Wonder what other sorts of juicy info there is? Hope they android it soon.

If I told you that I was of the night, would you take me seriously? Someone on this forum (forgotten who sorry) once said that the only reason Darkstar is he most dangerous man in Dorne is because people are likely to die of laughter when he introduces himself. And he was incapable of killing a defenceless girl, not that I'm sorry about it.

For some reason, even the very first time I read the chapter where Myrcella loses her ear, it seemed obvious to me that Darkstar's intention was never to kill her. The way he is introduced and described makes it seem extremely unlikely that he would fail at killing Myrcella if that was actually his intention. All we hear is her scream. People assume that she screamed because Darkstar was swinging a sword at her and she then managed to basically dodge the blow. I think its more likely that she just screamed from the pain of losing her ear. I think Darkstar will turn out to be far more clever and important than people here are giving him credit for. But then again I could be wrong.

I have never understood the passion this man arouses. He appears in one PoV chapter and is breifly mentioned in several others. Nor is it clear to me why he is considered to be so dangerous. He was to young for Roberts rebellion,he could have been a squire I suppose. Podrick Payne killed Ser Mandon at the age of 11 or 12 maybe he started making a name for himself during that war but who knows. I suppose he could have fought against the Greyjoys but its not clear if Dorne was involved in that war at all. I've always seen him more like Ser Luthor Brune, Ser Adam Marbrand or Ser Bronn a a landed knight who is a good fighter. He also has the magic name of Dayne which probaly opens some doors for him in Dorne at least. I suppose he could start doing some things of note like these other fellows I mentioned, if he ever gets involved in the fighting. It seems like the Lannisters have him in the crosshairs. Cersei is not going to be satisfied til this fellow is dead so he will probaly will start getting involved.

Archived