Ran

Imagine a night out at the club.

Darkstar and Jaimie:

"Hey baby, my name is Darkstar, and I'm of the NIght."

"This is my buddy Jaimie, and there are no men like him."

Edit: And we're going to take you to the Tower of Joy.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ktbhw0v186Q

:ack:

LOL best pick up lines :) this made me really laugh and cough dam you Alia haha

Moqorro is a genuine oversight. Truth be told, the bulk of the text was written before ADwD, and Moqorro was one character who was (from our perspective) entirely new. As you can see, we did update for ADwD as well, but I think Moqorro slipped through the cracks.

We'll definitely be adding him down the road, though it shall probably have to wait until after the holidays.

By the way, has anyone thought that Doran thinks of him as the most dangerous man in Dorne for some other reasons thatn fighting prowess? Not because he failed to kill a little girl, but because Doran doesn't strike me as the guy who would be so excited over someone being a great swordsman, even if Darkstar is, say, the best fighter in Westeros?

i mean, Doran is a schemer, calm, VERY patient, and Dornish - they have been very "political", and even though they are hot blooded - Doran has been dealing with Oberyn and sand snakes and stuff - he knows that even the most dangerous swordsman can be dead meat after a certain drop of something in their wine. He just doesn't strike me as they guy to admire a fighter so much as to call him "the most dangerous man".

I thought it could mean two things - that he IS someone, or that he knows something. Apparently, the former is pretty much disproved now, but the latter? Was his only motivation for trying to kill Myrcella to start a war with the throne? Was it something else?

ETA: To summarize: why not just say "the best swordsman", but "the most dangerous man"?

Since Oberyn has been spending his energy keeping Dorne out of wars that they would end up losing he probably considers Ser Gerold dangerous because he'd get Dorne involved in just such a war.

BTW, "I am of the night" makes me think of burglars, not warriors.

Since Oberyn has been spending his energy keeping Dorne out of wars that they would end up losing he probably considers Ser Gerold dangerous because he'd get Dorne involved in just such a war.

BTW, "I am of the night" makes me think of burglars, not warriors.

But how? How can a sigle low-level noble start a war that the ruler of Dorne has been trying to avoid for so much time? SOme kind of knowledge of something? Of someone? If you are talking about the Myrcella mishap, Doran couldn't have been thinking "If Darkstar ever gets close to Myrcela, he might kill her, so the Lannisters will declare a war, and that's why he is the most dangerous."

Is this the best place to identify potential errors?

For example: the app states that Robert Baratheon was born in the Dothraki Sea.

Also, there are some mentions of Aegon the Conqueror that are linked to the record of Aegon/Young Griff.

That's all for now. This thing is awesome though.

But how? How can a sigle low-level noble start a war that the ruler of Dorne has been trying to avoid for so much time? SOme kind of knowledge of something? Of someone? If you are talking about the Myrcella mishap, Doran couldn't have been thinking "If Darkstar ever gets close to Myrcela, he might kill her, so the Lannisters will declare a war, and that's why he is the most dangerous."

You have to realize that Dornish society is volatile. Even in the capitol there's overwhelming sentiment for revenge against the Lannisters for the death of Oberyn, even though he brought his own death on himself. Darkstar merely has to tap into the sentiment of the people, to be the catalyst, to start a war. He doesn't have to be personally powerful. Doran is fully aware of this.

You have to realize that Dornish society is volatile. Even in the capitol there's overwhelming sentiment for revenge against the Lannisters for the death of Oberyn, even though he brought his own death on himself. Darkstar merely has to tap into the sentiment of the people, to be the catalyst, to start a war. He doesn't have to be personally powerful. Doran is fully aware of this.

I understand what you're saying, but exactly because all kinds of folk want a war and would start it if they could, why would Doran think of Darkstar exactly? He's got the Sand Snakes, and pretty much everyone could and probably would hurt Myrcella, so why point out that guy specifically? I think there's something more and distinctive about him, for Doran to say "This guy. This is the guy who is really dangerous".

We just don't know enough about Darkstar and how he's perceived in Dorne. He might be the figurehead of a political faction opposed to Martell rule. He might be perceived by many, even if not the Starfall Daynes, as the "rightful" Sword of the Morning, which carries a lot of prestige. He might write to Mace Tyrell every day to tell him he sucks, just to annoy him. He might have murdered someone in the past that gives him his dodgy reputation. It could be any number of things that we just don't have enough information to work out.

It also depends what's meant by "dangerous". Dangerous to Doran's plots, or personally dangerous to anyone in the vicinity. We assume the former, but Doran might mean the latter. Although he seems to have eyes only for the long game, it's probably safe to assume he doesn't want his daughter hanging around a nutter who might flip out and kill her at any moment.

What exactly does 'dangerous' mean in this context? Who would you say is the most dangerous man in the seven kingdoms? Stannis, Gregor... ?A soldier, a claimant to the throne, a skilled and brutal general, the wealthiest and influential like Tywin...?

It may that Darkstar is considered dangerous for his deadly skills with the sword, is also the heir to an influential inheritance, and the fact that he is angry and reckless and has no particular loyalties except to himself.

I understand what you're saying, but exactly because all kinds of folk want a war and would start it if they could, why would Doran think of Darkstar exactly? He's got the Sand Snakes, and pretty much everyone could and probably would hurt Myrcella, so why point out that guy specifically? I think there's something more and distinctive about him, for Doran to say "This guy. This is the guy who is really dangerous".

Is Doran's comment a reference to pre-Myrcella Darkstar? Or post-Myrcella Darkstar?

By the way, is Darkstar self-proclaimed? Did someone else give him the nickname? If he's given himself the nickname that's kinda lame.

This post will be ridiculed, I know that.

It's likely that Darkstar isn't a name he gave himself. It's essentially the Dayne equivalent of the Blackfish, or Rickon, the "black wolf", etc.. It might not even necessarily refer to his brooding personality, just that he's unconventional compared to his family.

Further, the "I am of the night" line - this changes substantially if you imagine him saying it in a sarcastic voice as if parroting back something someone's previously said to him. I can imagine DS asking if he can have Dawn and being told something along the lines of "no, you're no Sword of the Morning (I knew Arthur Dayne; Arthur Dayne was a friend of mine; Gerold, you're no Arthur Dayne), you're like the ... sword of the night, or something!"

If he's made up his own nickname and "catchphrase", that's super-lame, obviously. I think it's pretty unlikely that he has.

This post will be ridiculed, I know that.

It's likely that Darkstar isn't a name he gave himself. It's essentially the Dayne equivalent of the Blackfish, or Rickon, the "black wolf", etc.. It might not even necessarily refer to his brooding personality, just that he's unconventional compared to his family.

Further, the "I am of the night" line - this changes substantially if you imagine him saying it in a sarcastic voice as if parroting back something someone's previously said to him. I can imagine DS asking if he can have Dawn and being told something along the lines of "no, you're no Sword of the Morning (I knew Arthur Dayne; Arthur Dayne was a friend of mine; Gerold, you're no Arthur Dayne), you're like the ... sword of the night, or something!"

If he's made up his own nickname and "catchphrase", that's super-lame, obviously. I think it's pretty unlikely that he has.

I would say that a) there is nothing to suggest that he isn't serious, and b ) even if he was being sarcastic it's still really sad. Hipster Dorkstar is still Dorkstar.

Also, if the Blackfish announced himself in that way I'd say he was a loser too. :)

Archived