Character Sorting Game!

Saint Arya

Maybe Theon for JW?

It's 666 words, which is quite apt.My name is Laura, and I am a History teacher. That sounds really Starkesque – but really, being a teacher is like being a member of the Kingsguard. You make many honourable vows about how you will guide, nurture and protect your charges, but once the classroom door is closed, you go back to the same textbooks, worksheets and crusty old videos that were used on you. You impart upon them the same cynicism as was placed on you, with perhaps a little more for good measure. I’d like to think I’m not at Jaime’s level of disenchantment yet… but no doubt I will be soon. As for A Song of Ice and Fire, the reason I love it so much is that I cannot write better. I write novels in the historical genre, but my level of historical knowledge, my wit, my attention to detail and my ability to weave together a tapestry of intrigue is not to GRRM’s standard. His story is fully engaging, multi-faceted and deliciously evil. I aspire to be that good one day, but until then I look on in envy.What is your favorite memory from childhood?The memory that springs to mind is the time when me and a friend wrote a parody about our teachers and classmates. It was like the hate book in Mean Girls only intelligent. I managed to persuade my best friend to print off copies and distributed them across our year group. When our Head of Year found it, she had us stand on the long corridor between the Headmaster’s Office and the staffroom. Every teacher who walked by asked us why we were there and I took great pleasure in telling them about our parody. Our English teacher read it and praised it. It was well worth the one day suspension from school.Which of the seven deadly sins can be applied to you, and why?I would say I was full of pride and wrath. My temper is short and I have a habit of acting on impulse, then regretting it later. I was always the kids who got into fights at school and now, in working life, I do not know when to pick my battles. I will argue over every matter – and love it, especially when I am right! It will certainly get me fired one day, if not killed. My pride has subtler venom. It stops me going on dates with nice guys, it means that I cannot abide any type of criticism from anybody, and it means that I am a perfectionist in everything I do. I cried when driving home from badminton a fortnight ago, because I was beaten six times by far more experienced players. They all told me how well I was doing, how much progress I was making, and how I would be amazing by the end of the year. I smiled gracefully, but my pride was bleeding.Who is your favorite character (from anything, not just ASOIAF) and why?Heathcliff, from Emily Bronte’s Wuthering Heights. He is my number one inspiration when writing heroes and romance stories in my novels. He is very like Jaime in many ways: a hero whose undying love for the heroine corrupts his whole life. He lives his life in service to her, until the point when she dies, then there is only vengeance to replace love. My favorite line of any fiction comes from Heathcliff when he discovers that Cathy has died:

Well at least he'd be a fully-fleshed character.

Wait a minute, just as I was typing that... I realised my error.

You know what, I don't think Theon would appreciate the splendour of Healthcliff's love for Cathy (but then neither would the Sand Snakes, or Cersei... possibly Arianne at a push...) but otherwise, you might have a good point. Please don't flay me!!! (Have I ever told you guys that my worst fear/horror is seeing flayed images? I really struggled to teach Vesalius two weeks ago, and his work was only medieval woodcuts lol)

brAnthelAstgreenseer - A bit hard for me because the answers are too short .. Re-reading your test & your house sorting answers (which I admit I mostly based this decision on, I hope it's okay), I got a "the grass that hides the viper" vibe. Values family the most, patient, practical (choosing to drop out of school for work), mild-mannered but if someone messes with his family he can be ruthless: Doran Martell. My second choice would be a Tyrell, Garlan or Willas.

This is going great :) Please try to stick to the final choices for voting so we can have a higher majority. I'll be counting votes tonight and posting results. The new round will begin tonight or tomorrow morning so round 2 and 3 folks can still go in and edit your PM's to me to add more info :D More information equals more accurate sorting ;)

Jaime's Wench: After a lot of rethinking, my vote is officially Cersei.

BrAnthelastgreenseer: Garlan

Julifay: Dany and let Juli grind her teeth :P

Top12Gun: Robert or Tywin. I vote Robert because I don't think Tywin would say "Combat is fun as hell". That sounds very Robert-ish

Rose Rivers: I'm between Arya and Arianne again, but since she says she relates a lot to Arianne my vote is: Arianne

Who do you see yourself most as, Juli?

I don't fully identify with anyone, but I'll try to answer.

Julifay Greyiron

Arya Stark, Asha Greyjoy, Robb Stark, Daenerys Targaryen, Rodrik the Reader, Ser Harras Harlaw

Arya - I can relate to her tomboyishness, I was very much like her as a child, but I think I've outgrown that. I don't see myself as vengeful as her and I would've made completely different choices at many points.

Asha - I like the Ironborn attitude in general. If you want something, then you fight for it and take it, don't expect it to drop before you out of nowhere. I sometimes lack her confidence, although I can conceal this well enough.

Robb - I definitely lack his sense of duty.

Dany - The main problem I have with Dany is that she thinks that she is the rightful queen of Westeros only through birth, although another house won the throne through conquest and she doesn't know anything about the culture and many other reasons. If you want the throne for yourself and rule, then bloody take it and prove that you're a capable leader and ruler, which I think she's not. I also have the feeling that she's not very intelligent, and I completely disagree with some of her ideals and choices.

Rodrik - As I said in the app, I probably identify with him the most because of all the reading/learning stuff.

Harras - I don't remember him clearly enough.

Interesting. I relate to Asha far more than I relate to any of the Sand Snakes, Arianne or Cersei really. She was the only Ironborn character that I enjoyed reading about, and whose POV I look forward to. Of course, she's far more comfortable with her sexuality than I am, but then that goes for all the main candidates for me too.

I am willing to change my verdict to Asha on this for you, Julifay. If you don't agree with Danaerys' 'god given rights' and her ideals, then those are pretty big things to overlook.

Round One Results

brAnthelAstgreenseer is Garlan Tyrell

Jaime's Wench is Cersei Lannister

Julifay Greyiron is Asha Greyjoy

Rose Rivers is Arriane Martell

Top12Gun is Oberyn Martell

eddard of the house stark is Robb Stark

*will edit OP to include

I will post Round Two soon!

Archived