Jaqen H'Ghar and the red god

NoBoldVillain

• 1 year later...

In S5e09 we see the following:

In the House of BW, the many-faced God (MFG) has several statues which represent how the various religions pictured Death. For example, the Stranger is the only one of the Seven to be featured.

Last TV show episode featured a huge statue of the flaming heart of R'Hollor in the House, which made me jump (but no one else seems to have noticed so far). Is R'Hollor one of the aspects of Death?

I am puzzled and excited at the same time about this huge possible spoiler which was passed "kind of subtly".

It is well visible in the backdrop of the discussion between the Kindly man/Jaquen and Arya.

I think D n D are aware of things we can only speculate about... i think that statue was just too big to be casual.

There are here two things that also stand out and make me think:

the first thing is the redundancy of sentences like "there is only one true god" which occurs (if i can remember) both for the faceless men and the R'hllor followers. This would agree with the general idea that the red god is just one of the faces of the many-faced god.

the raising of the dead is granted by R'hollor to their priest and by the Other whatever god (the Great Other, which i have reasons to believe is also the god Craster sacrifices his sons to). This may be an interesting hint to the fact that the great one is in fact also an aspect of R'hllor (anche as such, an aspect of the many-faced god).

So if there is no duality in ice (the great Other) and fire (R'hollor/red god), could this lead to an alternative theory about the Theology of the WOIAF?

She saves them, thus robbing the red god of those lives.

He offers to kill someone else to replace those lost... not by burning, just kill them.

Then she convinces him to go over that quota to escape.

Then, the ones initially saved... get killed anyway later on.

Red god owes some lives. Or is this how Thoros was able to rez Beric?

R´hllor is actually never connected with MFG directly in the book, the series just gave to the HOBAW those images that would be recognisable.

I don't Agree, dnd know will the whole story and the many faces good is associated with death deities in the books and what we saw was just a huge spoiler that no one has yet recognized as such.

They could have put just any statue that looked Godly but they put one that we all know. They are explicitly staying that the mfg has a r'hllor side, and as a direct consequence, that r'hllor is one of the faces of death

There is no spoiler because none of these gods exist. The house of black and white adopts all gods because they believe that all gods are just different faces of their god. This doesn't effect what the original religion believes at all. I'm surprised no one has accused them of grand cultural appropriation yet.

If they had explained the origin of the Faceless guys' religion then it would probably make a lot more sense.

The original believers were slaves in Valyria who helped other slaves to commit suicide because it was the only way out of their bondage. Death became associated with ending suffering, gaining freedom and peace. Then when the slaves started asking them to kill the masters they used their established idea of death being a good thing to justify murder.

Archived