Dany's Army

Jon Longclaw

Ok lets assume she is able to muster all these horde as you say:

I just wanted to get a count on her Army.

So far I count:

20,000 Dorthaki

10,000 Unsullied

4,000 Mercenaries

6,000 Freedmen

90 Greyjoy ships

Dragons?

Is this correct? And if not what is it? And what is what is the normal Army in Westeros?

1 - There is few chance a fleet of that size can make a long trip, during winter without having some loses on the way.

2 - As usual, extreme overrate of the Dothraki, wilding savages with no armour, no tactics, no naval experience, no siege knowledge, and with no proper weapons to figth armies in mails and plate.

3 - Again, overrate of the Unsullied, you don't bring a 7th century BC Hoplite against a 12th or 13th century army.

Those kind of soldiers wouldn't last long against a Westerosi army, either in the open field, sea or in a siege.

That leaves her with the Mercs whose loyalty its always questionable, the Greyjoys if they join her...and we saw in the north they suck at land warfare, and the freedmen if she can properly arm & train them.

Dragons if she learns how to control them.

Sorry but lots of armies in Westeros won't be impresed (aside from the Dragons) unless she somehow manages to inform the Dothraki that armor exist, that charging a phalanx formation over and over again won't get it done and turn the Unsullied into the Swiss guard.

Ok lets assume she is able to muster all these horde as you say:

1 - There is few chance a fleet of that size can make a long trip, during winter without having some loses on the way.

2 - As usual, extreme overrate of the Dothraki, wilding savages with no armour, no tactics, no naval experience, no siege knowledge, and with no proper weapons to figth armies in mails and plate.

3 - Again, overrate of the Unsullied, you don't bring a 7th century BC Hoplite against a 12th or 13th century army.

Those kind of soldiers wouldn't last long against a Westerosi army, either in the open field, sea or in a siege.

That leaves her with the Mercs whose loyalty its always questionable, the Greyjoys if they join her...and we saw in the north they suck at land warfare, and the freedmen if she can properly arm & train them.

Dragons if she learns how to control them.

Sorry but lots of armies in Westeros won't be impresed (aside from the Dragons) unless she somehow manages to inform the Dothraki that armor exist, that charging a phalanx formation over and over again won't get it done and turn the Unsullied into the Swiss guard.

The Unsullied may be of use if they are backed up by proper light infantry. If they are flanked then they go down like flies, but with proper protection and steady flanks they could form a good centre. If she armours them, and as you say upgrades their tactics then they may also be of use. I hope we never see a horde of Westerosi charging straight into them like the Persians in 300

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to get a count on her Army.

So far I count:

20,000 Dorthaki

10,000 Unsullied

4,000 Mercenaries

6,000 Freedmen

90 Greyjoy ships

Is this correct? And if not what is it? And what is what is the normal Army in Westeros?

^ Dragons, mate. You forgot the bloody dragons!

Something that's never brought up in threads like these is how would she even control this force? As far as I'm aware there isn't anyone alive who has commanded these myriad elements (Dragons/Dothraki/Unsullied) at the same time and I can't see who'd be up to it. Barristan? More a warrior than a commander. Effective components on their own but trying to use them together cohesively would be a nightmare.

I still don't get how Dany has 20,000 Dothraki. I can only think of, like, five Dothraki from the fifth book. She probably has more but I thought most of the actual warriors left when Drogo died back in AGOT.

Actually, she got about thirty. Most of them too young or too old.

I still don't get how Dany has 20,000 Dothraki. I can only think of, like, five Dothraki from the fifth book. She probably has more but I thought most of the actual warriors left when Drogo died back in AGOT.

Everyone seems to have decided that Jogo's/Jhaqo's/Pogo's/Dipsy's khalasar which she meets at the end of dance will join her

IIRC, Dany had less than 100 from the end of AGOT, and that figure only dropped as they died along the way. It includes women and children and the old and sick.

The 20,000 bit comes from Jhaqo's Khalasar, which took 20,000 riders from Drogo's Khalasar after the latter was no longer able to ride. Since in Dany's last chapter she is found by Jhaqo's men, the assumption is that she would use Drogon as the "biggest mount" shtick and all would simply follow her according to Dothraki costum. Jhaqo would of course die screaming, begging Dany for the same fate he gave Eroeh, thus fulfilling Dany's promise to her small Khalasar from the end of AGOT.

Reminds me of something Tze said once, that if Dany really wanted to help destroy the Others, she should go to Westeros intending to "save" them.

I think this should form the core of her strategy in Westeros. In about a month, three quarters of Westoros will come out with their hands up and will say "We surrender!We surrender! We'll do anything you want. But please, stop trying to save us!"

IIRC, Dany had less than 100 from the end of AGOT, and that figure only dropped as they died along the way. It includes women and children and the old and sick.

The 20,000 bit comes from Jhaqo's Khalasar, which took 20,000 riders from Drogo's Khalasar after the latter was no longer able to ride. Since in Dany's last chapter she is found by Jhaqo's men, the assumption is that she would use Drogon as the "biggest mount" shtick and all would simply follow her according to Dothraki costum. Jhaqo would of course die screaming, begging Dany for the same fate he gave Eroeh, thus fulfilling Dany's promise to her small Khalasar from the end of AGOT.

Which makes no sense, dothraki view single combat as strength, dragons are symbols of the valyrians that pushed them East.

Which makes no sense, dothraki view single combat as strength, dragons are symbols of the valyrians that pushed them East.

Any hint for the Valyrians pushing them east? As far as I remember, there is no indication that the Dothraki and the Valyrians had any contact at all.

Any hint for the Valyrians pushing them east? As far as I remember, there is no indication that the Dothraki and the Valyrians had any contact at all.

I get it mostly them never moving West until they all died.

We know the Dothraki came from the east at around the same time as the Doom, 400 years ago. Either there was sometihng that drove them west, or they had nothing more to fear.

According to the Tyrion WoW chapter the Second Sons and the Windblown have joined Daenerys' forces.

Here are my estimates, if Daenerys' forces win (and they will) the battle of Meereen.

6 000 Unsullied

2 200 Mercenaries

2 000 Freedmen

Wildcards:

Viserion and Rhaegal

The Dothraki

The Iron Fleet

IMO the Volanteen fleet is going to be the thing, that will take Dany to Westeros.

Archived