Ever noticed how...

Pinkie Baelish

What about the fact that half of the nobles marry their cousins or other relatives? ;)

That was pretty normal in the middle ages. Only children/parents en siblings where of limits. They didn't know about genetics so there was no reason to think it was more inappropriate tot marry a cousin you had almost never seen than than just some random person. Also, royalty is only allowed to marry other royalty, and there is only so many royalty. At some point you're related to all pretty much the other ones.

It still happens in small villages. People tend to marry someone born and living in the same place they do. Some genetic illnesses are very common in specific regions because at some point almost everybody there is related somehow and thus will have the same genetic defect. It's has to have happend in westros too, but that's something we haven't seen in the books i believe.

What about the fact that half of the nobles marry their cousins or other relatives? ;)

Yeah was it as bad as that though? I thought most houses used marraige as diplomacy between two houses. Where is the benifit of marrying your cousin? guessing it was pretty common among the minor houses.

I think Tywin and Joanne were cousins?

That was pretty normal in the middle ages. Only children/parents en siblings where of limits. They didn't know about genetics so there was no reason to think it was more inappropriate tot marry a cousin you had almost never seen than than just some random person. Also, royalty is only allowed to marry other royalty, and there is only so many royalty. At some point you're related to all pretty much the other ones.

It still happens in small villages. People tend to marry someone born and living in the same place they do. Some genetic illnesses are very common in specific regions because at some point almost everybody there is related somehow and thus will have the same genetic defect. It's has to have happend in westros too, but that's something we haven't seen in the books i believe.

I know, I know. Was commenting on someone who tried to come up with some of the relative-pairings in ASOIAF. :)

Yeah was it as bad as that though? I thought most houses used marraige as diplomacy between two houses. Where is the benifit of marrying your cousin? guessing it was pretty common among the minor houses.

I think Tywin and Joanne were cousins?

Tywin and Joanna were cousins indeed. Then there are the Targaryens. The North didn't marry with the South for a very long time, so there are a lot of interrelated Houses there.

I know, I know. Was commenting on someone who tried to come up with some of the relative-pairings in ASOIAF. :)

I understand.

It's just, with all talk of incest I believe that a lost of westerosi wouldn't view a lot of those pairings as repelling as we do.

well, a brother and a sister will always be gross I think... :P

Archived