What's one event in the books you wish you could un-do?

Fairly short list:

1) Robert being killed by a boar; Don't boars avoid contact with humans much like other animals? It's kind of convenient for Cercei's set-up to go exactly as planned even though the boar could've just as easily ran away.

2) Renly getting offed by a shadow assassin; It's a cheap way of killing a major character for plot convenience with a power that's only used once more on a minor character and then the shadow assassin power is never used or mentioned again.

I wanted to undo these scenarios:

1. Viserys joining Khal Drogo's Khalasar to make sure that the Khal fulfilled the end of the bargain. If Viserys stayed in Pentos and trained himself to be stronger and smarter, I believe he might be able to have a chance to fulfill his plans and he could use Robert's assassins as practice for his sword play.

2. The Red Wedding. Even though I believe that Robb Stark deserves to receive his karma for his actions, I would pretty much prefer if he died in battle against the Lannisters. In this scenario, with the little army he had left, he decided to push for a final assault against the Westerlands only to be defeated by Lannister-Tyrell forces.

3. The Battle of Blackwater. In this scenario, Stannis won the battle and send the Lannisters to the jail. However, through the help of Varys, Tyrion escapes and meet the crew of the Shy Maid far earlier. The Tyrell-Lannister alliance won't happen as Tywin Lannister killed Edmure Tully at the Fords and falls into Robb's trap as he march further west.

The boar killing Robert.

If Robert had made it back just one more damn time, and Ned had informed him of Cersei's infidelity, as he had intended...

All hell would have rained down on the Lannisters in King's Landing, and so much death and destruction could have been avoided. Tywin would be in an impossible situation: Cersei and Jaime in mortal peril, but damn impossible to save them.

Archived