What's one event in the books you wish you could un-do?

I won't like to change any of the big event ins the serie, since those are the events that make this series so great, but I would definitely change some unnecesary little thing:

- Maggy the Frog: Did we really need that? I don't think Cersei need that BS to become paranoid/crazy after ASOS, that tupid prophecy ruined her character.

- Bitter eating Brienne's face: why?

- wishful thinking here, but I would have liked if Sansa took some joy from Joff death (I would have even liked if Sansa were part of the conspiracy but that would have ruined the surprise of his death)

My events that I would undo would change the whole course of the series.

I would change Ned going South and Bran getting crippled, this would prevent the downfall of House Stark, Ned, Lady, Robb, Catelyn, Jory, Sir Rodrik, Beth and Winterfell would be safe and together.

I love Jon the most but I wouldn't change a thing of his story arc(if he ends up dead dead than I'll want to change him dying)

Brandon acquiescing to Cat's plea to spare Littlefinger.

It's awesome how much trouble would that actually solve... Lysa would be sane and married to a guy her age, Jon Arryn would be alive and would have told the king the truth, king Robert would have probably die during the inevitable all vs Lannister war after killing Cersei an Jaimie, and then Stannis would be king with Renly as his heir. Ned and all of his children safe in Winterfell. Ned could die in he war too, but the odds in that war would be quote different, since the Vale would join. A lot would depend on whether Renly would get stupid ideas again. Most of the books would consists of Dany in Essos and Jon beyond the wall.

I will-when the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when Apple Martini and E-ro support Daenerys on he Iron Throne and PatrickStormborn swears fealty to Stannis, when the P2P folks accuse Sansa of betraying Ned, when Butterbumps dumps Mance, when David Selig roots for Jon.

can I sig this?

I will-when the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, when the seas go dry and the mountains blow in the wind like leaves, when Apple Martini and E-ro support Daenerys on he Iron Throne and PatrickStormborn swears fealty to Stannis, when the P2P folks accuse Sansa of betraying Ned, when Butterbumps dumps Mance, when David Selig roots for Jon.

:lol:

On topic, I'd bring Cat back. And not as a zombie - as the MILF in the North that she always was. Actually, I would have had her just not die in the first place - as this thread is asking me what I'd undo.

i wish that ned had worked with renly got rid of circse and called the small council to vote between stanis and renly, ned would suport stanis

also i wish dany had sent the green grace to the merish fleet with the mesage "give me your ships or i kill your familes"

need some targ fire in dany

I know we all wanted Eddard Stark not to die and the Red Wedding also was heartbreaking, but surely there are other events that you just wish weren't there.

Dany's weird, groundless decision to "rule" in Meereen.

This one event led to...

1. The books slowing to a crawl for the last dozen years

2. Several tedious subplots in Westeros -- only necessary to pass the time while Dany lounged around on another continent

3. An uncertain number of books, and a much higher probability that Mr. Martin will not survive to conclude the series

Of course, if he does die, he has invented any number of methods to bring himself back.

For instance, he might warg into the body of a much younger writer.

Tyrion telling Jaime he killed Joffrey...

You know, this struck me as a really stupid thing for Tyrion to have done the first time I read SoS.

Now... I see it as the first sign that he has become seriously unhinged -- that Jaime's little story about Tysha has just rocked Tyrion completely out of his right mind, and by the end of DwD, he still hasn't recovered.

I bookmarked this for future reference.

But she doesn't need any more reasons to be paranoid- her brothehas just murdered her son and her father before escaping through unknown tunnels in the walls. Varys and a mysterious jailer disappear at the same time. A coin from Highgarden is found in said jailer's cell-the same sort that Olenna uses to pay folks with.

Keeping all that in mind, who wouldn't be paranoid? We don't need the prophecy to understand why she hates the Tyrells and Tyrion. In fact it cheapens her crusade against the Tyrells by eclipsing perfectly legitimate reasons for her paranoia with the caricature of a fading middle aged woman involved in a catfight with the young girl about to take her place.

As for Mellara: the prophecy then is required to cause the death of a character never heard of before and who's only goal seems to be to cartoonise Cersei's personality-she isn't a bitter woman,hardened by her society's rigid gender roles, her father's aloofness and her husband's abuse, nope, she was born evil,. Cripes.

The rest of your list would have happened anyway-neither her affair with Jaime nor Robert's abuse had anything to do with Maggi.

And this is why I don't like Maggy the Frog. It reduces complex sibling relationships to a prophecy. Nothing worth exploring about that.

I wish Darkstar had never happened. I know there are some who are very protective of Darkstar, but the dude is a victim of bad dialogue. Maybe future books will increase his value and make his dialogue seem better, but at this point, Darkstar is very Dorkstar.

Agreed and..

Is it me or did the gift chapter just feel like more of the same with him. Feels like readers will believe he is a bad ass if they are told enough times.

Archived