It is too late to start reading GoT books?

fsaliki

I was introduced to the world through the first 2 series and have gone on since to read up to AFfC and have I am now unhealthily obsessed with it haha. I'd say it's never too late to start reading the books. It's not uncommon to read a book after seeing the film it's based on.

I wouldn't say either one is better than the other, they both have flaws to them, but treat them as two different mediums of the same story NOT one is based on the other. That's how I tend to look at them.

Yess read them there is soo much more to the story. I still really appreciate the show and its awesome acting and set direction and so on and so forth, As for seeing the characters you know and love for the first time , you wont get that feeling when u first meet Davos at Dragonstone onscreen and you know what's about to go down. I still say the scene should have led off The North Remembers as the prologue as Winter Is Coming did.

I got into the show first. I then read the books and became obsessed. I like the books way better (because there is so much more to the story), but I still love the show. I'm ssssooooo excited for the next season (and even more excited for the next book). Read them, they're great!!

This ^^

The books pad out everything the show is missing. I also started on the series and decided I needed more and now I'd choose the books over the series any day.

Having watched the series has not taken away from the books in the slightest, although, I would definitely get stuck in and try and read ASoS before series 3 comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

If anything, it's too early to read the books. Yeah, you heard that right. Given the uncertain publication date for the Winds of Winter, you're probably better off not knowing what you're missing, and then sealing yourself in a room for a month while you read all six books nonstop.

I can attest to this. I just read all of the books in the past few months for the first time (after watching the first two season of the show) and now THIS SUCKS. THIS IS TERRIBLE.

That said the books awesome and you should read them.

Reading the books helps appreciate the show even more. If you've already seen a few seasons then you probably won't develop a "purist" mentality for future seasons anyways. It's such a complex series and I find people who haven't read the books tend to miss a lot of the details and even characters and need reminding who someone is when they make an appearance after a few episodes of being absent etc. etc.

No it's never too late to start the books. Books will be around forever. So will the fanbase, I'm sure. That's an odd question. After reading the books you'll realize how good it could have been, I guess (I already know how good most of the huge scenes in the series so far could have been judging by what I've been told and what I've read about) but it's still amazing what they can capture in a 10 episode season with the tiny budget they have (tiny compared to the original proposed idea of doing a film series) so.. it could be a lot worse. We have to appreciate what we get. The show can be treated as a little tease, or sample of the world of ASOIAF.. and you can delve into the books for more details and more characters and a better understanding of what goes on. You'll never fully understand the world and the details just from the show alone. And some aspects of the show improve on some parts of the books, but mostly the books are an improvement in itself. The first few chapters are so far very close to what I saw in the show, but provide a better experience; it immerses you more and gets you in the head of the characters while also giving you flashbacks which is a bonus.

If anything, it should improve the viewing experience, because upon rewatching a scene you know what a character was actually thinking during that moment after reading their POV.

This changes a bit the further the series moves along, as the books and the show separates a bit, characters' personalities seem different, some characters are cut out completely along with subplots etc. which often gets a few complaints here and there. But if they were to include everything from the books the series would have to be 150-200 episodes long. And they simply do not have that time and money to pump out 150 quality episodes.

But it's best to treat the shows as two entities. GoT on its own two feet is an incredible show, one of the best to grace Television. If you're focusing too much on it being ASOIAF in a cinematic medium, then you'll serve to disappoint yourself a little.

read them, i saw the 1st season 2 months before season 2 while watching season 2 i read the 1st and second book and then after in the summer i read the 3rd and fourth and i finished the 5th one about a week ago, i dont regret reading them i love the show and i love the books they are both great

Archived