It is too late to start reading GoT books?

fsaliki

I've heard that reading books AFTER watching a TV series based on the books tends to make people lose some appreciation for the TV series. Is this also true for Game of Thrones? I'm just wondering whether it is too late to start reading after watching the first 2 seasons. GoT is one of my favorite shows and I want it to stay that way.

I got into the show first. I then read the books and became obsessed. I like the books way better (because there is so much more to the story), but I still love the show. I'm ssssooooo excited for the next season (and even more excited for the next book). Read them, they're great!!

I don't think you will lose much appreciation for the series. I read the books after I watched the second season and I find it very easy to separate the books from the show, possibly because the show was my first introduction to this universe so I will always have appreciation for it.

I agree with StannisEndGame. It's never too late, but you should start reading during the break between seasons. I started reading after season 1 and I am very passionate about both the show and the books.

Read the books after season 3 has finished. I watched the 1st season before I read the books, and now have a greater understanding and apprectiation for the show. Sadly, I do hate it when the show misses or changes a vital point of the story

They're both great! I've been reading GRRM for a long time so I'm looking at this from another angle, but the show blew me away!

Some things are different, but the canon is well preserved and you won't be alienated by anything in the books.

I got into the show first. I then read the books and became obsessed. I like the books way better (because there is so much more to the story), but I still love the show. I'm ssssooooo excited for the next season (and even more excited for the next book). Read them, they're great!!

Me too. It`s never too late to enjoy in the books...

Like some of the others, I'd advise waiting until after season 3. I started reading between season 1 and season 2. Loved the first one, but was disappointed with the second one. Why? Because I compared it with the book. Later rewachted it, trying to seperate it from the book, and discovered it wasn't bad at all. Yes, I'd say reaading the books makes the show look better - particularly when you read the part of the story before watching it. But you should still read it, because the books ARE great.

Didnt read the book till after i watched season 1. Must say first time i watched season 2 i was really disapointed about a lot of stuff being different in the books. But second watch i really liked what they managed to do. The series is really good. But the books are even better (so if you read you cant avoid being a little disapointed from time to time).

Archived