It is too late to start reading GoT books?

fsaliki

I read Book 1 after Season 1 and Book 2 after Season 2 and then I couldn't take waiting anymore and finished reading all 5. So, I will see how it compares reading before watching as opposed to reading after watching.

So far though I found that reading after watching made me appreciate some of the nuances in the show that I didn't catch as much without the extra-knowledge from the books. I've only read ASOS once though, so I think I'll hold off re-reading it until the season is over b/c it will still be somewhat fresh for me. I read the last 3 books so fast that I know I'm missing a lot of the detail.

I started reading after watching season 1 and while I did find season 2 disappointing (more to do with the editing than the butchering of the book story) it was still fantastic. On a second rewatch it was much better. I can actually be quite easy to separate the two. As people have said though, wait until after season 3. It`ll only whet your appetite more for season 4 when the time rolls around.

I, for one, cannot wait for season 3. Too excited.

Read the books. Start right now! They are way better than the show that is true. And you will become more obsessed with the books. The show will end up serving as filler in between the books. I started reading the books about an episode into season two and pretty much caught up by the end of teh season. I thinkI watched Blackwater and read it later on in that week. It kind of spoiled the Joff and Marge mariage proposal but it was totally worth it. I finished the books by summer. I read another two titles by Martin, one very short, a soccer book then started reading ASOIAF again. I am finally halfway through the 5th book for the second time. Read the books, then read them again! The second read is even better.

Thanks for the advice! I just got the books on my Kindle and will read them between Seasons 3 and 4.

Good call. I read them the summer after season 1 and am rereading them now (at least through book 3, then will take a break until the summer) before season 3 starts. While there's always some disappointment about things that are changed or left out of the show, I think they're doing a great job, and my enjoyment of each has been enhanced by the other.

If you've got time, you could get caught up before this season starts, but it's probably better to wait and tide yourself over a bit until season 4 and also so you have time to take everything in. I'm noticing a lot I didn't get the first time through, especially since there's so many characters and storylines to keep track of. I'm sure you'll enjoy them whenever you get to them, though! :D

The books are much better than the show. The show is done really well, but the loss of substance is pretty vast. But there's no way they could have gotten the full feel of the books into the show. I think the only irks I really have with the show is the direction they took with Dany's story in season two. I understand the need to dramatize her story a bit because her arc in CoK wasn't exactly action packed, but they didn't really need to screw so much up. i.e. vaes tolorro, Rakharo, House of the Undying, stolen dragons, murdering of the merchant lords, and the total change of Xaro Xoan Daxos. Even the death of Dany's Silver pissed me off. Other than that, the show is pretty good.

If you have time, try to get through book 3 before this season airs. There are so many big events coming. You may want the experience of reading them before seeing them on screen.

Surprises are only surprises the first time through...

Having said that, I cannot wait for Season 3 to air!

If you have them, read them. You'll find them very detailed, well-written and elaborate.

I watched the show first, then read the books. No loss. It's okay.

I clearly differenciate between the books and the show. The characters look different in my mind - I don't picture the actors.

The books are definitely worth reading. Especially if you are a fan of fantasy books, there is no better ones out there. Just separate them from the show, as they are not the same, nor were they ever meant to be. Book readers who complain about the show expect them to follow the book to the T, but don't take into consideration that the TV series has to make it a popular TV series for an HBO audience, so things are going to change. But it is still an incredibly faithful adaptation in terms of the overall story that is being told.

Also, if you start reading the books, start from the beginning, don't start from book three and not read books one and two. You lose out on a lot if you do it that way, as the book world is a lot more in depth than the TV world with history and back stories and hints to future events.

I've heard that reading books AFTER watching a TV series based on the books tends to make people lose some appreciation for the TV series. Is this also true for Game of Thrones? I'm just wondering whether it is too late to start reading after watching the first 2 seasons. GoT is one of my favorite shows and I want it to stay that way.

This is a weird question. It's like saying:

I really like masturbating but I'm worried that if I have sex I'd lose my appreciation of masturbation. I don't want to not like masturbating anymore so should I just not have sex?

I've heard that reading books AFTER watching a TV series based on the books tends to make people lose some appreciation for the TV series. Is this also true for Game of Thrones? I'm just wondering whether it is too late to start reading after watching the first 2 seasons. GoT is one of my favorite shows and I want it to stay that way.

Nah I started reading the books a year ago right in the middle os season 2. Love the books, but love seeing the show as well. Plus you get the Dink. And judging from the new trailer it looks like they are finally moving moretowards the books.

Archived