House Dayne as the ancestors of the Valyrians (a crackpot theory)

Jon's Queen Consort

Like I said I don't have proof but if you read a little about scientific accounts of potential damages from an asteroid hit, one of them is dust and debris covering the sun (i.e. the smoking sea). Also the wall of water 300 feet high that descended on Velos would be consistent with parts or fragments of the Asteroid hitting the ocean at very high velocity. Lastly, the mention of "great rents opening in the earth" could be a crater created by the asteroid's impact.

Also GRRM mentioned that the doom of Valyria was vaguely inspired by the tale of Atlantis who was wiped out in a single day after attacking Athens. The interesting part about this is that, in Plato's account of the doom of Atlantis, Athens represented the "perfect" society whereas Atlantis was its opposite and the destruction came as some type of divine or poetic justice for Atlantis's attack on Athens. It could very well be that the old Valyrians had committed such an offense but that, in the midts of the catacysm, the Targaryens and Daynes were spared and the Daynes were rewarded with Dawn.

Again, I know this is far and deep in the land of crackpotery but I am willing to thumble further down the rabbit hole if need be ;)

I always assumed the doom was the fourteen fires erupting simultaneously

Wow that thread went south in a hurry ;). Jokes aside however, give how long the Daynes have been in Westeros, they may have been a banned house from Valyria or exiled for either rebelling or other crimes.

I don't think that they are from Valyria. GRRM told that they aren't Valyrian http://web.archive.o...pts/031899.html

that was my point. they look Valyrian but because the Valyrians are their progenies...as for being close to Targs, Arthur was at KG it was normal for him befriended Rhaegar.

That makes sense. I always thought that Dawn was supposed to be the sword opposite to Valyrian Steel because it is pale and shiny and VS is dark and smoky but I guess it could be some type of precusor to Valyrian steel, almost like Excalibur.

Dawn could have been a sword forged in the style of valyrian steel, but using a different metal.... asteroid metal... leaving us with a sword just as sharp as valyrian steel but different looking, and the dayne's could have learned this as being a splinter off of valyria thousands of years ago, who were seeking glory in fighting the others in westeros

IMHO the best theory is that they are "proto-Valyrian" (I think this is what Ran calls them). The Daynes and Valyrians share some sort of ancestery which explains some of their similar features. The Daynes immigrated to Westeros with the rest of the First Men. The rest of the population stayed and eventually became the Valyrians.

IMHO the best theory is that they are "proto-Valyrian" (I think this is what Ran calls them). The Daynes and Valyrians share some sort of ancestery which explains some of their similar features. The Daynes immigrated to Westeros with the rest of the First Men. The rest of the population stayed and eventually became the Valyrians.
That is interesting. So Daynes aren't First Men? And where they came from?

No, I was trying to point out that it doesn't matter where they started, because it could have been anywhere in Essos and it would still have the same story. A group of Valyrian looking people with the first men split off and actually become valyrians. But one or two, or a small group stay with the first men. They then go to westeros, and eventually become house Dayne.

It doesn't matter if they started in Qohor, Valyria, or farther east. Even if the starting location changes, the rest of the story doesn't.

Archived