House Dayne as the ancestors of the Valyrians (a crackpot theory)

Jon's Queen Consort

I think if anything there could possibly be some Targaryen blood in the Dayne family tree. That could explain their appearance. Dawn is older than the Doom of Valyria. The Daynes have been in Westeros for millennia. As far as we know now, no Targs or Valyrians in Westeros before Aegon. I do feel though that the Targs/Daynes could have a family tree that intermingles somewhere AFTER the Doom. I think GRRM has some important events yet for the Daynes.

I keep thinking that the Daynes are the ancestors of the Valyrians.

First we have the *look*. (Violet eyes, pale blond hair)

Second we have the fact that the Daynes are an ancient House of First Men but they are at Dorne by a river. Why?

My theory is that some of the Daynes or a cabet house left from Westeros and they created Valyria and later they created the Valyrian Freehold.

What do you think?

I was discussing this today with a colleague as it has been a personal favourite idea of mine.

Dawn was the first of the "Valyrian" blades or techniques that later went into such blades.

Perhaps a cadet branch of Daynes were part of what would later become the freehold.

The Daynes, like the high towers are about to become very important I think.

I take it you meant a single family after all. I was catious because there here was one guy a long time ago who couldn't grasp the difference between "Targaryen" and "Valyrian" and kept asking after "lowborn Targaryens" in Westeros, but I see this wasn't the case.

To your titular question: No. As I already said, it was an entire civilistion. It's just not doable for a few individuals. Imagine if your family was given the task of repopulating, let's say, Italy.

It could be a cabet house or two of the Daynes. They went to Valyria and after *mixing*(sorry couldn't remember the word) with the indigenous people they created the Valyrian culture

It could be a cabet house or two of the Daynes. They went to Valyria and after *mixing*(sorry couldn't remember the word) with the indigenous people they created the Valyrian culture

You're talking about millions of people here. Even if there was 500 Daynes at the beginning, it would be hard to do. And their genes would have to win every time.

Most importantly, the Daynes don't really have the Valyrian look; it's only a common misconception. Edric's hair were described as ashen blond, not silvergold, and Ashara's as dark. I don't remember hair of any other member of the family ever being mentioned (but I may be wrong). For all we know, they could be predominantly darkhaired, with Edric being an exception to the rule, inheriting his fair coloring from his mother.

You're talking about millions of people here. Even if there was 500 Daynes at the beginning, it would be hard to do. And their genes would have to win every time.

Most importantly, the Daynes don't really have the Valyrian look; it's only a common misconception. Edric's hair were described as ashen blond, not silvergold, and Ashara's as dark. I don't remember hair of any other member of the family ever being mentioned (but I may be wrong). For all we know, they could be predominantly darkhaired, with Edric being an exception to the rule, inheriting his fair coloring from his mother.

Are we sure they were millions? The eyes are the most important trait not the hairs.

PLUS we don't know what the Daynes looked like several hundred or thousand years ago....

They may not be predominantly Valyrian...but a few hundred years ago could have knocked boots with some Valyrians and got their coloring that way...

If Robb (who looks like his mother) had a baby with Jeyne Westerling...i doubt it would have much of a Stark look...that doesn't mean that you could question where the child comes from or what his/her ancestry is...

PLUS we don't know what the Daynes looked like several hundred or thousand years ago....

They may not be predominantly Valyrian...but a few hundred years ago could have knocked boots with some Valyrians and got their coloring that way...

Daynes aren't Valyrian: http://web.archive.o...pts/031899.html

That interview is intersting, and obviously from near a decade ago, when the five year gap was still a thing.

As an aside I believe The heir to starfall was ment to benefit from a five year age gap just as much as the stark children. He's not with un-cat that we've seen is he? And he's had a more than distinguished squireship...and there hasn't been a sword of the morning for quite some time.

Re valyrian "look" Perhaps it goes the other way, a Dayne met and brought a Valyrian woman back to Starfall and she became the matriarch of a large family that became the core branch of house Dayne?

Are we sure they were millions? The eyes are the most important trait not the hairs.

Minimally hundreds of thousands then.

I'm sure that George dismissed the notion that that Daynes have Targaryen (and by extension, Valyrian) blood by saying that real life people can have violet eyes too. As an example he used Elizabeth Taylor.

There is a group of people with valyrian looks, some go with the first men to Westeros, the others go to (or stay at) Valyria. and later become the Valyrian Empire, while the ones who left to go to westeros become the Daynes.

Where those people used to live?

Re valyrian "look" Perhaps it goes the other way, a Dayne met and brought a Valyrian woman back to Starfall and she became the matriarch of a large family that became the core branch of house Dayne?

but they are not Valyrians and older than Valyrian culture...

Archived