House Dayne as the ancestors of the Valyrians (a crackpot theory)

Jon's Queen Consort

The Daynes are a First Men house, so they'd be around before and after the Long Night, which was when most dragons in the world died. The dragons in Valyria survived because they went into the 14 Fires, which kept them warm and alive. So the Daynes could have gone across to Valyria and after the Long Night and then started their way of life (sheep herding).

I find it improbable that they would leave the comforts of Westeros and go and be shepherds in a foreign land.

I find it improbable that they would leave the comforts of Westeros and go and be shepherds in a foreign land.

Maybe they were just sailing out to try and find a new land to settle on, after the Long Night, which would have damaged Westeros' crops and food.

• 4 months later...

I keep thinking that the Daynes are the ancestors of the Valyrians.

First we have the *look*. (Violet eyes, pale blond hair)

Second we have the fact that the Daynes are an ancient House of First Men but they are at Dorne by a river. Why?

My theory is that some of the Daynes or a cabet house left from Westeros and they created Valyria and later they created the Valyrian Freehold.

What do you think?

I agree.

How is it that Darkstar looks like a Targ?

Maybe there was a match between the House of Aurane Waters and the Daynes at some point.

I also think it's deliberate on Martins part for Ashara to be a cover for Lyanna and Jon.

I agree.

How is it that Darkstar looks like a Targ?

Maybe there was a match between the House of Aurane Waters and the Daynes at some point.

I also think it's deliberate on Martins part for Ashara to be a cover for Lyanna and Jon.

Since Velaryon are Valyrians too, I don't believe that Daynes have Velaryons' blood. But those are the Daynes of Starfall and Darkstar is a Dayne of High Hermitage ;)

Since Velaryon are Valyrians too, I don't believe that Daynes have Velaryons' blood. But those are the Daynes of Starfall and Darkstar is a Dayne of High Hermitage ;)

True.

I also agree on Allyria, but one of the reasons Ashara may have been compelled to leave town was that she DID know about Rhaegars last heir.

She and her family would be in as much danger as Neds, so she would have to take herself out of the equation.

Ran's thoughts about Azor Ahai being a Dayne,

, and the Daynes being some sort of proto-Valyrians made me wonder the same thing last night.

Well I think people may read a little to much into the Daynes blood. Given the generational gap of thousands of years, how related would they be to anyone from that far back. He is my 15th cousin 700 times removed. Your still in the same boat of basically saying they are related by first men blood.

Now I have wondering about Dawn like most. And while I tend to follow the theory of the metal coming from a meteor or commit, I often wonder if the metal only looks the way it does because of magic. What if Nissa Nissa translates to Star in some language, after all Lightbringer finished being forged in Nissa Nissa's heart. It's the sacrifice that really made Lightbringer, Lightbringer. Not sure if that idea has been tossed around already.

• 4 months later...

That would be awesome if true. The oldest Westerosi Houses are about twice as old as the Valyrian civilization, after all.

However, from the sound of it, the entire Valyrian race looked like the Targs - meaning all the primitive shepherds that populated the Valyrian peninsula 5000 years ago had the Targ look. So, the way in which this could be true is if some cadet branch of House Dayne settled an empty Valyria say 8000 years ago, and had multiplied to tens of thousands of people by the time Valyria discovered dragons and defeated Ghis 5000 years ago.

Possible, but probably unlikely.

I think they're very distantly related to the Valyrians. They only have some of the traits. Ashara and Allyria's dark hair are probably a result of mixing with others.

OR what if the Daynes originally had First Men traits and then an ancestor married into a Targ/other old Valyrian house such as Velaryon branch, thus putting some Valyrian traits into the mix. Again, this is crackpot but it's possible.

there seems to be a misconception about how genes and population growth work a single house couldn't populate an entire civilization the size of valaryia further more the only way genes as prominent as the ones responceable for the valaryian look would mean a group of people with similar genes breeding and spreading it and eventually become an ethnic group

• 1 year later...

I have no proof of what I am about to suggest but info from the wiki actually opened my eyes to a poential theory:http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Doom_of_ValyriaThat to be could sound like the effects of meteor hitting Valyria. Now if Dawn was forged from the metal of a falling star it could be that, instead of being those who created Valyria, the Dayne's could have been involved in the Doom and it was from that meteor that Dawn was forged. I realize this is VERY VERY far-fetched but the accounts of the Doom of Valyria are somewhat consistent with a meteor hitting.

I know this is old, but that is a good idea. Also what about the story about how dragons were born what if it's made from the 2nd moon? Just a thought

Archived