Political Correctness and Examinations of Privilege

Sci-2

Shit, we are smack in the middle of a drastic change in the discrimination against gay people and it's based entirely on not being a shithead.

No, its based on the loss of influence of religion during the last decades. Why that has happen is a complex question. Sociologists find unexpected results here, for example a strong negative correlation of church attendance and the availablity of health insurance.

We're a shitload more equal today then we were ... pretty much any time in history you wanna pick.

Evidence? Can you provide me with the Gini index for the USA in 1815? No? Thought so...

Unless of course you're saying "All speech is equal in theory but people respond better to some types than others so you better act right" in which case you've said nothing at all.

I'm coming at this from an educator perspective. You want your class to do well and be successful, by which I mean economically move out of poverty. You also don't want them to identify their parents as being lesser for not speaking "correctly".

It's more about recognizing that the workplace and classroom demand certain behaviors and modes of speech. It's imperfect but I think a good balance of concerns.

(Also, fuck you man that "time and place" [thing] went over great with my Americorps group. [insert appropriate smilely])

@Robin Hill: Sorry, I meant moral weight to "correctness" of speech. Basically instead of worrying if people speak the "right" way, it makes more sense to simply stress that certain speech patterns correlate with being perceived as professional. [so it isn't about wrong or right, just time and place.]

As for a heritage day or month, that's more about balancing out history books than anything. Plus aren't you Irish, at least you get March 17th mate. Where's Indian Day? Hell, they don't even have American Indian Day.

(Side note - went to a few Native Unity Conferencs in NC, and just about nobody used the term Native American....)

Yes, us Romanian/Latvian/Scot persons don't get any good shit. Well, three out of four of those countries do make some good liquor. Never did like Riga Black Balsam.

Don't mind me. All afternoon, I've been listening to a playlist comprised, of Audiomachine, Two Steps From Hell, Brand X Music, Epic Symphony and movie themes trying to make me believe there's something wonderful out there, when deep down, I know that is bullshit. The effect is like having too much to drink.

Dude, that chip is gonna dislocate your shoulder some day.

If it gets people out of meth factory trailer parks and no plumbing mountain shacks I will gladly forfeit my perfect shoulder.

Its a slap in the face and incredibly dismissive to degrade a straight white male who makes it out of these situations by chalking it up to his easy white life setting.

I'm coming at this from an educator perspective. You want your class to do well and be successful, by which I mean economically move out of poverty. You also don't want them to identify their parents as being lesser for not speaking "correctly".

Ah, well, that's fair. Though I think that associating certain modes of speaking with certain economic classes is always going to happen.

No, its based on the loss of influence of religion during the last decades. Why that has happen is a complex question. Sociologists find unexpected results here, for example a strong negative correlation of church attendance and the availablity of health insurance.

What happens is quite simple: people became more accepting of gays. They felt they should not be treated as second-class citizens.

Why is, perhaps, a more complex question. But the simple fact is that the emancipation of gays over the last few decades is not about people wanting to treat them equally. (ie - not being a shithead)

Evidence? Can you provide me with the Gini index for the USA in 1815? No? Thought so...

Wait, so you are claiming back when women couldn't vote and like black people weren't even human shit was more equal? Fucking seriously?

This is the stupidest thing I've heard since ... well, sadly, since the last thread where another dipshit was talking about how political correctness was a Marxist plot. Congratulations I guess.

If it gets people out of meth factory trailer parks and no plumbing mountain shacks I will gladly forfeit my perfect shoulder.

Its a slap in the face and incredibly dismissive to degrade a straight white male who makes it out of these situations by chalking it up to his easy white life setting.

Great blazing balls of balderdash. I don't want to be white any more. Blue sounds better.

Actually. Flip that around, what you mean is the loss of influence of 'Christianity'. Not Religion, and I'd even disagree with that. During the 'Enlightenment' religion took a BIG fucking hit and people were still hating on the gays.

I'll post on this shit later. I'm going to go watch a movie right now, but as someone that was raised in a trailer park, and did Meth, and had an outhouse until I was 8, i figure I might have some insight into this.

Quote one thing in my posts that suggests I want poor white people to fail.

Archived