ice as lightbringer

thegreatwhitebear

I apologize if this was brought up somewhere before. . Page 359 of asos the armorer started that he tried to infuse the steel with crimson, " but always the child would darken, as if the blade was drinking the sun from it". It was the use of the word sun that caught my eye. Also I believe I've read some theories on here that the last hero and aa are the same person and that he was also a stark. Inaddition the colors of ice are not the typical black steel associated with valaryian steel.idk if it's ever mentioned how long ice was in stark possession but the only thing missing of note is the heat and shining brilliance of the blade. But what if those properties only manifest themselves In the presence of the others ala sting from the hobbit. Might be crackpot but a thought I'd thought to share.

I don't think this is crackpot and a lot of people are interested in this sword. I think the two new swords made from it have got to be significant. Currently Brienne has one and Loras the other, I think.

previous sword talk:

http://asoiaf.wester...ng/page__st__40

This has been discussed as a possibility. My personal favourite theory, is like the AA legend, the sword needs to be forged 3 times. It's first incarnation was Ice, it's second is Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. There does seem plausible evidence that the Lion heart that will temper this second incarnation before it will be reforged is Jaime. After his death, Gendry (who is not only suspiciously close, but the only person to have trained with the only man who can reforge Valyrian steel), and Thoros of Myr who may very well know the spells necessary are going to reforge it into Lightbringer. Then we just need a last hero or a Nissa Nissa.

I just had a thought, that if it was reforged, instead of back into one it could be made into two - what if the steel that took up the red color went into one, and the dark layers that rejected it went into the other - then you'd have Fire and Ice.

This is just a thought not a theory or hypothesis. I was just thinking about how the armourer described the difficulty of making it.

Wow ty everyone for the input. I also find the mentions of Jaime being the blood of the lion and the idea of gendry doing the reforging afterwards as being interesting notions as well. Especially gendry. I think his character is more than just that of someone to disprove roberts legitimate children. It is already known that he is highly talented as a smith. I don't think there are many apprentices that can forge a bullshead helm with that much detail and I'm sure his former master imparted some of his knowledge regarding valrayian steel to his most gifted student. Also Jaimes blood is an obviously subtle thing, something grrm is good at.

Tommen most likely gave his to Loras when the altter went to Dragonstone. It's not explicit, but Cersei mentions a sword with gemstone inlays being handed over, which sounds a lor like Widow's Wail.

Wait what? Give me proper evidence of that, please.

I'm sure even Cersei isn't arrogant enough not to note a Valyrian steel sword being passed over to Loras.

This has been discussed as a possibility. My personal favourite theory, is like the AA legend, the sword needs to be forged 3 times. It's first incarnation was Ice, it's second is Oathkeeper and Widow's Wail. There does seem plausible evidence that the Lion heart that will temper this second incarnation before it will be reforged is Jaime. After his death, Gendry (who is not only suspiciously close, but the only person to have trained with the only man who can reforge Valyrian steel), and Thoros of Myr who may very well know the spells necessary are going to reforge it into Lightbringer. Then we just need a last hero or a Nissa Nissa.

Agree with this theory. Always felt Ice would return to a Stark and play a role in the future stroy line. Is it possible that the second forgeing by a lion and a third by Gendry could accomplish the transformation? Does Lightbringer literaly require the death of a lion? Is it possible the bloody death of the 2nd forger will suffice? Just thoughts on how literal the theory required to transform Lightbringer. I will need to go back and check on who has Widow's Wail, Tywin gave it to Joeff, thought it passed to Tommen after that, could be wrong.

Wait what? Give me proper evidence of that, please.

I'm sure even Cersei isn't arrogant enough not to note a Valyrian steel sword being passed over to Loras.

It's in AFFC, Cersei VIII. Page 598 in my paperback.

Three thousand smallfolk had crowded through the Mud Gate to see Ser Loras off the day he sailed, and three of every four were women. The sight had only served to fill her with contempt. [Cersei] had wanted to scream at them that they were sheep, to tell them that all they could ever hope to get from Loras Tyrell was a smile and a flower. Instead, she had proclaimed him the boldest knight in the Seven Kingdoms, and smiled as Tommen presented him with a jeweled sword to carry into battle.

Also noted how joff In his boisterous douche self named the sword windows wail. A connection never intended by him as something as mere bragadoccio. However when considering the agony and pain aa most have felt plunging the sword into nissa nissa, and thereby himself becoming a widow, im sure he let out a heartwrentching sceam having to sacrifice the woman he loved most in this world and there is the connection . Also could be sheer coincidence as well.

• 4 months later...

And who better to wield the former Ice but the semi-Stark Jon Snow? His dream of himself holding a red sword is very interesting......

Archived