Official Game of Thrones Season 3 Trailer Now Live

Westeros

Well if by extended, they mean the extra minute we were supposed to get, then the trailer should be amazing!

Yes, it says it's a minute longer than the first one. I believe this is that trailer we were supposed to get last Monday :drool:

1) I don't think we'll ever get to AFfC and ADwD.

2) I don't think they'd take two seasons anyway.

Bran only has four chapters after the events at Queenscrown. That is not enough to spread over three seasons.

How are we not going to get more seasons? Its incredibly successful.

Unless they stop, and then wait a few years and hire new actors for all the old roles when the new final books are out.

Lots of good stuff here. I agree PW is all but confirmed out of S3.

I had a thought about Catelyn and the reveal of Un-Cat. I think it is likely (and a good idea) for us to get the reveal this season. Viewers will want something in lieu of the PW to suggest revenge for the Freys and Lannisters. What I imagine happening is this: in Ep10, sometime relatively early on, we have the scene (off-page) where the BwB finds the corpse of Catelyn and Beric gives her the kiss of life. I think it'd be great if we saw the start of that scene, ending with an argument between Thoros and Beric. It cuts at that point and we see the rest of the episode with lots of other stuff elsewhere.

Last scene: we see the epilogue of ASOS, it will have to be trimmed but the important part is to hide the identity of Un-Cat until right before the end when the Frey is about to be hanged.

This gives us two things: the reveal of UnCat doesn't feel cheap, because it is set up by the first scene. But we don't see the actual resurrection and we (meaning, viewers who haven't read the books of course!) don't know it's her, preserving the shock we book-readers felt in the book.

I think this could be one of the reasons the final episode is going to run so long... to do the epilogue. Well, I like the idea anyway :)

IN the books at least, "Slayer" is before the mutiny. And I don't know if Bran will meet Sam this season.

Yeah, I can't believe that Bran would meet Sam this season either, just because it would give Bran really no material for the next season.

(UnCat is not going to be a major character in coming seasons).

She might not be a major character, but I don't think they will just write her out completely. Her taking over the BwB seems to be setting up for something big: Jaime/Brienne, the recapturing of Riverrun, etc. So, I don't think Michelle Fairley is off the payroll just yet.

I feel ashamed for having to admit it, but I don't get the title of the finale.

“Mhysa!” a brown-skinned man shouted out at her. He had a child on his shoulder, a little girl, and she screamed the same word in her thin voice. “Mhysa! Mhysa!”

Dany looked at Missandei. “What are they shouting?”

“It is Ghiscari, the old pure tongue. It means ‘Mother.’”

Dany felt a lightness in her chest. I will never bear a living child, she remembered. Her hand trembled as she raised it. Perhaps she smiled. She must have, because the man grinned and shouted again, and others took up the cry. “Mhysa!” they called. “Mhysa! MHYSA!” They were all smiling at her, reaching for her, kneeling before her. “Maela,” some called her, while others cried “Aelalla” or “Qathei” or “Tato,” but whatever the tongue it all meant the same thing. Mother. They are calling me Mother.”

Yes, it says it's a minute longer than the first one. I believe this is that trailer we were supposed to get last Monday :drool:

And thank god February is only 28 days, the first of March is tomorrow and then Sunday will be a short 2 days away.

Yeah, I can't believe that Bran would meet Sam this season either, just because it would give Bran really no material for the next season.

Well we hopefully get some of Bran's stuff that was cut out of season 2 (from book 2). They can stretch it out that way.

“Mhysa!” a brown-skinned man shouted out at her. He had a child on his shoulder, a little girl, and she screamed the same word in her thin voice. “Mhysa! Mhysa!”

Dany looked at Missandei. “What are they shouting?”

“It is Ghiscari, the old pure tongue. It means ‘Mother.’”

Dany felt a lightness in her chest. I will never bear a living child, she remembered. Her hand trembled as she raised it. Perhaps she smiled. She must have, because the man grinned and shouted again, and others took up the cry. “Mhysa!” they called. “Mhysa! MHYSA!” They were all smiling at her, reaching for her, kneeling before her. “Maela,” some called her, while others cried “Aelalla” or “Qathei” or “Tato,” but whatever the tongue it all meant the same thing. Mother. They are calling me Mother.”

Ah, thanks. I went to wiki after posting that and saw it was related to Dany and assumed that had to what it meant. Thanks for confirming it, though.

ETA: It certainly seems like they're setting up a much better storyline for Dany this season. They have much better material for her from SoS and it looks like they'll do a fine job with it.

'Slayer' scene will be in episode 7 or 8, according to Ross Mullans's Spotlight page. Michelle MacLaren is the director.

It doesn't say that there, just that a WW will appear in one of those episodes (which may be Whitetree.). It would make little sense to change Slayer to episode 7, it would make far more sense to capitalise on such a dramatic event so early into the season.

Ah. ok. So actually, production-wise, more than a year off, since production doesn't last a year. Sorry, my bad. Now I understand. Not sure when actual production of The Sopranos was some years, but I know their broadcast hiatus was more than a year at times (and I remember everyone losing their minds over it.) I'm sure it was likely due to talent availability.

So technically it would be possible to delay production on a future season to give GRRM more writing time. Still, I doubt HBO would do that, it seems awfully risky with such a large cast and GOT is making money for them. They would probably rather extract the outline of the rest of the story from him - they do employ him now, after all.

So technically it would be possible to delay production on a future season to give GRRM more writing time. Still, I doubt HBO would do that, it seems awfully risky with such a large cast and GOT is making money for them. They would probably rather extract the outline of the rest of the story from him - they do employ him now, after all.

I have a hard time believing that Martin would let them produce the outcome of his story onscreen before he writes it. So much be ruined if the story is told first on screen and later in a book. I know Martin has a passion for the television format, but it seems like the written word is really his passion.

The only way the show will not pass up the books is if the show gets cancelled.

Yes, I agree. They may not overtake him before he gets out TWOW, though. Depending on how many seasons they will need for AFFC+ADWD.

I have a hard time believing that Martin would let them produce the outcome of his story onscreen before he writes it. So much be ruined if the story is told first on screen and later in a book. I know Martin has a passion for the television format, but it seems like the written word is really his passion.

Martin is just not writing fast enough to stay ahead of the show indefinitely, especially not with ASOIAF likely to take 8 books to finish. Moreover, it seems that D&D have been told the ending (or the major points of it anyway) and now HBO is even employing Martin as a producer - one would think HBO has got some leverage over Martin in this situation (what do his various contracts with HBO say?).

There is a lot of money at stake for all parties involved, too. If the show remains succesful and if Martin hasn't managed to pick up the pace with the writing in a couple of years, then the show will overtake him or have to be cancelled. And if it is making money, they won't cancel.

It doesn't say that there, just that a WW will appear in one of those episodes (which may be Whitetree.). It would make little sense to change Slayer to episode 7, it would make far more sense to capitalise on such a dramatic event so early into the season.

It's the same White Walker from season 2, confirmed by Mullan on Twitter (and also seen in the trailer, possibly stalking you know who).

It's the same White Walker from season 2, confirmed by Mullan on Twitter (and also seen in the trailer, possibly stalking you know who).

That does not mean that it is part of the Slayer scene. There are multiple Others ya know.

Yes, I agree. They may not overtake him before he gets out TWOW, though. Depending on how many seasons they will need for AFFC+ADWD.

Martin is just not writing fast enough to stay ahead of the show indefinitely, especially not with ASOIAF likely to take 8 books to finish. Moreover, it seems that D&D have been told the ending (or the major points of it anyway) and now HBO is even employing Martin as a producer - one would think HBO has got some leverage over Martin in this situation (what do his various contracts with HBO say?).

There is a lot of money at stake for all parties involved, too. If the show remains succesful and if Martin hasn't managed to pick up the pace with the writing in a couple of years, then the show will overtake him or have to be cancelled. And if it is making money, they won't cancel.

They may not cancel, but they can't use Martin's planned material without his consent, and like I said I really cannot see him allowing them to get ahead of him. Yes, he has contracts with them (to produce original series) and yes he's an executive producer of the show, but ultimately if he didn't want them to use his material that he has yet to publish, they wouldn't be able to.

Martin admited that David and Dan know a basic outline, but everything leading up to that would be Martin's to hold on to (and I am not sure if they would even be able to use that outline without his express consent). So either they'd be forced to produce something with a very basic outline and the rest would be filler (and not what Martin actually publishes in his book), take a break until Martin publishes (maybe even produce the show at the same time as the book) and maybe fill in the time with stuff like Dunk and Egg or simply end the show. I mean hopefully they will plan the show accordingly and Martin will be able to finish his story in time, but if he doesn't I think the show would be the one to suffer not the books.

That does not mean that it is part of the Slayer scene. There are multiple Others ya know.

The WW in the season 2 finale looks directly at Sam and he looks back. Why would they bring Ross Mullan back as a different WW, when it would make completely sense to use the same one from season 2? He let Sam live at the fist, so it makes sense that he's back to get him in season 3.

Plus as I said, he confirmed on Twitter that it's him in the trailer, he tweeted a picture of himself in the season 2 costume and John Bradley is the only GoT cast member he has been chatting with.

They may not cancel, but they can't use Martin's planned material without his consent, and like I said I really cannot see him allowing them to get ahead of him. Yes, he has contracts with them (to produce original series) and yes he's an executive producer of the show, but ultimately if he didn't want them to use his material that he has yet to publish, they wouldn't be able to.

I kinda doubt that. I was under the impression that Martin sold all the rights to HBO.

That means if they want to have Aliens invade Westeros, they can, if they want to suddenly kill Sansa during season 4 they can, if they want to finish the story, they can...

Archived