Why I dislike Daenerys Targaryen

MDT

I'm saying their relationship is based on more than just sex at this point.

Their relationship is based on her wanting to do something rebellious before she concedes and marries a man for political resons.

Let`s go through what Dany did since AGoT

- She buys the horse lord Khal Drogo and forces him to marry her

- She forces Viserys to come with her to Vaes Dothrak even thought he wanted to stay safe in Pentos where he could spend the rest of his life, not worrying about Westeros

- She steals the Dragon`s eggs from Illyrio

- She punishes a wine merchant because she didn`t like his product

- She orders the sack of Lhazar and then she wants all the slaves for herself

- She poisons Khal Drogo, because she got bored of him and then she blames it on MMD

- She burns down the HotU because it didn`t have a red door

- She steals Illyrio`s boat and takes the crew ( including Barristran and Belwas) hostages

- After she burns two peaceful cities (Astapor and Yunkaii) to the ground leaving nothing behind she takes Meeren and starts killing her own people and blame it on others (Harpy? yeah right)

- She exiles Jorah because he refused to shave his hairy body

- She rapes Daario several times

- She opens a Fighting Pit and forces people to fight to the death for her own amusement

- She makes Drogon attack the innocent crowd and then to avoid being held responsible she runs away

I`m sorry if I missed anything, but there are some many horrible things committed by her, that it`s very hard to keep count

I think the conclusion to draw is that she is a young sexually active woman who needs a partner that she is attracted to but she knows has no future. Very similar to a college type boyfriend one has for fun but one has no intentions of leading to marriage. Daario is Dany's way of meeting her needs till she needs to marry for the good of her kingdom. Also a way to get over Khal Drogo.

A woman has needs too you know. Dany is very realistic in her expectations of her relationship with Daario. She even sends him off as a hostage when she decides to marry for political reasons. A marriage that is a mistake in my opinion, but she feels is the right thing to do.

15/16 year old women make mistakes, it does not make them bad people.

I more or less agree. I think she is a realistic* character and her polarising nature is a credit to Martin's storytelling ability. And I also don't find her "bad" or "evil" -- just not likeable.

*as realistic as a Mother of Dragons can be, anyhow.

Their relationship is based on her wanting to do something rebellious before she concedes and marries a man for political resons.

Agreed that is part of it. Also to satisfy her sexual needs, and also to help get over losing her Sun and Stars.

Tch

But if I'm not mistaken, people didn't start to use that word as an insult because the existence of douches is insulting to women, they started using it because douches were associated with female genitalia and anything associated with female genitalia was considered unclean. I'm happy that some people are apparently reclaiming the word, but I also think seeing it as a gendered insult against women is valid because of its history.

Sure, there are a lot of douches at my school, and i fucking hate all of them, but there's no jealousy...

The heart of the matter. You hate daario because he reminds you of "douches" at your school. He hasn't done anything wrong, apart from the blue hair, what is there to be pissed about?

Nah, it's gendered. When's the last time you heard someone call a woman a douchebag? It specifically connotationally refers to, well, men like Daario.

I am glad that you have the universal definition of "douchebag" at hand. So incredibly helpful. Perhaps as you are an expert on the topic, you should head over to General Chatter and spread that wisdom as they have a thread on that very topic right now. I am sure they will be extremely thankful for your input as you clearly know who and what is a douchebag so very well.

I've already made it clear that I hold men and women to equal standards in this regard, so no it's not relevant to this particular exchange, as you're addressing me and not head honcho of the patriarchy or w/e.

I'm 100% convinced, I assure you.

It refelcts that she's also a bit of a tosser. The company you keep inherently reflects on who are. The fact that her reaction to someone like Daario wasn't just to think "Wanker" and dismiss him puts her at odds with those of us whose reaction to Daario would have been exactly that.

How does it make her a bit of a tosser? In what regard? That she sees him? Sleeps with him? How does it express itself in her character arc? Is this behind certain political failures? In that case, which ones?

The heart of the matter. You hate daario because he reminds you of "douches" at your school. He hasn't done anything wrong, apart from the blue hair, what is there to be pissed about?

Hmm, he constantly acts like he's the shit, and has yet to prove it, so there's that...

Hmm, he constantly acts like he's the shit, and has yet to prove it, so there's that...

Brah, hes the head of a sellsword company and hes sleeping with the queen. Hes a badass. Not as good as stannis, but still.

Archived