Why I dislike Daenerys Targaryen

MDT

Good, im glad we can accept his prowess, even if he is "icky" He hasn't committed any atrocities unlike so many other characters, hes just a common sellsword trying to make his way in the world.

Well, I said I didn't question it much, but I'm thinking he's quite average as a swordsman... just willing to , um, take shortcuts and stab people in the back, like a "good" sell sword he is...

We've been over this, you don't know my mother, and your about what, a thousand miles away from me? So good luck with that...

I will call her, simple really. Deny it all you want walrus.

Well, I said I didn't question it much, but I'm thinking he's quite average as a swordsman... just willing to , um, take shortcuts and stab people in the back, like a "good" sell sword he is...

Well yes he may not be the most honorable fighter but neither is bronn and hes good.

Love being the primary reason for marriage is a new thing. Back in the day and in Westeros, (and still even in some places today, like India) marriages were arranged for reasons like wealth, social status, bloodlines etc. Nobility married other nobility and rarely with people of lower class. Westeros is the same. Marriages are even arranged for alliances etc. Cat didnt marry for love(though she did grow to love Ned later).

Jon and Lysa didnt marry for love. Aerys did not love his wife. Rhaegar was merely "fond" of Elia. There are plenty of loveless marriages. If Dany wants to be a queen, she needs to do her duty. Queens dont marry for love as a primary reason. She wanted to sit the Iron Throne, and she needed an alliance with a Great House to do it. She blew it. And now look what happened. Her alliance with Dorne is gone, most likely and she is facing all out war in Meereen.

You do relize that she married out of duty?

You can argue that she might have been able to solve her problem without Hizdahr, but you can't deny that she did it out of duty ...

Edit: Or did she neglect her duty by not having sex with Quentin?

This thread is the perfect example of an excersise in self indulgence. You don't like Dany? Why don't you just write a whole fuck load of WORDS with no coherent argument but to write words for the sake of words- oh wait. You just did.

What a load of old wankery shit.

This thread is the perfect example of an excersise in self indulgence. You don't like Dany? Why don't you just write a whole fuck load of WORDS with no coherent argument but to write words for the sake of words- oh wait. You just did.

Damn Sian, you scary...

Love being the primary reason for marriage is a relatively new thing in our society. Back in the day and in Westeros, (and still even in some places today, like India) marriages were arranged for reasons like wealth, social status, bloodlines etc. Nobility married other nobility and rarely with people of lower class. Westeros is the same. Marriages are even arranged for alliances etc. Cat didnt marry for love(though she did grow to love Ned later).

Jon and Lysa didnt marry for love. Aerys did not love his wife. Rhaegar was merely "fond" of Elia. There are plenty of loveless marriages. If Dany wants to be a queen, she needs to do her duty. Queens dont marry for love as a primary reason. She wanted to sit the Iron Throne, and she needed an alliance with a Great House to do it. She blew it. And now look what happened. Her alliance with Dorne is gone most likely, and she is facing all out war in Meereen.

And Daario is nothing but a trashy, immoral sellsword. Too lowborn for a queen. Even Dany has admitted this.

She did not turn down Quentyn for Daario, she turned him down because she had already committed to a marriage with Hizdahr for political reasons, not love or sexual attraction to Daario. If Quentyn came sooner and had more time to convince Dany that Dorne would back her and she should leave Meereen behind, perhaps she would marry him. Unfortunately Dany was already knee deep in the Harpy mess when he arrived.

That said, I think her marriage to Hizdahr was a mistake regardless of it being for political reasons. He is obviously one with the harpy and is looking to knock her off and do away with her dragons.

Dany is not the first character to make a mistake. Nor is their marriage her first or likely last mistake.

The OP was being sarcastic... ;)

There are plenty of loveless marriages. If Dany wants to be a queen, she needs to do her duty. Queens dont marry for love as a primary reason. She wanted to sit the Iron Throne, and she needed an alliance with a Great House to do it. She blew it. And now look what happened. Her alliance with Dorne is gone most likely, and she is facing all out war in Meereen.

She did do her duty. She entered a loveless marriage with Hizdahr for political reasons and Quentyn showed up in Meereen just a few days before her wedding. With nothing and no one of any worth, referencing some agreement that Dany never heard about, the terms of which didn't even involve her, but Viserys. She didn't have to honor it, especially not since she was about to be wed to someone else.

I also think you're missing the point a little. There are some fans who blame Dany not for not marrying Quentyn, but for not taking a liking to him and for preferring Daario to him. They feel that since he's a nice and sweet guy, Dany was not being fair by not considering him romantically. So it's, in fact, a matter of love and not of duty for them. And it's ridiculous. I like Quentyn, but Dany had no obligation to like him, much less love him.She was not attracted to him and that's it.

And Daario is nothing but a trashy, immoral sellsword. Too lowborn for a queen. Even Dany has admitted this.

She didn't plan on marrying him. Do noble people have to choose their sex partners only from people that come from ancient bloodlines based on how moral they are? Funny you should say that with an icon that has Stannis and Mel on it. I'm sure that he asked that paragon of virtue for her family records to make sure she's highborn enough for a king before fucking her.

Archived