(Spoiler) Which Will Cause More Outrage?

Craven Mummer

Which will cause more outrage by tv watchers? The death of Rob, Catelyn (before the UnCat reveal) or Grey Wind?

My bet is on Grey Wind. Nobody likes it when dogs are killed (see the reaction to Lady's death), even when they are computer generated.

BTW, When I was reading this part, I was hoping for a half Rob half GW werewolf to come to life and kill all the Freys.

(null)

Definitely Grey Wind. I hope it happens "off-camera" and we only "hear" about it! I am afraid "they" may get creative and bring in Grey Wind's head on a platter before Robb is impaled with quorrels.

I am afraid "they" may get creative and bring in Grey Wind's head on a platter before Robb is impaled with quorrels.

Wow, that is actually an amazing idea! They totally should do that. I'm just bummed now that you tipped me off that it could happen, because that would have been gutwrenching and shocking.

True but I liked him in the books very much

KEVIN1989 I agree. :agree: Mormont is done justice in the novels, not so much so in the HBO series. Not that I am faulting HBO because it is their task to retell Martin's complex and detailed world into the digital experience, but what a mammoth task. I just hope they do not "create" scenes not in the POV's unless they are necessary to advancing the plot.

I believe that the death of Robb will resonate most with viewers and create the most outrage. This is due to the contributions Robb makes to the narrative. Many viewers are attached to his character as he is given a more prominent role in the show when compared to the novels.

On a side note I am confused with the belief that viewers will be more saddened by the death of an animal instead of a human. To me they are both very terrible incidents, but I feel that an emphasis should be placed on human life. After all we are humans are we not? However, this is truly an unfair comparison because seeing anyone or anything die is horrible and saddening. I hope this part of my post did not offend anyone and if it did I am truly sorry.

I believe that the death of Robb will resonate most with viewers and create the most outrage. This is due to the contributions Robb makes to the narrative. Many viewers are attached to his character as he is given a more prominent role in the show when compared to the novels.

On a side note I am confused with the belief that viewers will be more saddened by the death of an animal instead of a human. To me they are both very terrible incidents, but I feel that an emphasis should be placed on human life. After all we are humans are we not? However, this is truly an unfair comparison because seeing anyone or anything die is horrible and saddening. I hope this part of my post did not offend anyone and if it did I am truly sorry.

You are correct, and I am guilty of shedding more tears for an animal in some movies than for the humans. I am afraid to go see Life of Pi because I am sure that tiger dies.

I speculate that for me, it was the result of "Disney", the original Walt who felt delivering children a healthy dose of reality was a "good thing", sort of like using cinema and animals to teach an important life lesson. Through "Disney", the whole aspect of death was mixed in there with catechism and real life losses. [bambi, Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Three Lives of Thomasina, etc]

I also see "animals" in some films as harmless and helpless. However, I recently saw Les Miserables, and I assure you, I cried "buckets" for the humans - so I am not totally heartless and sick.

You are correct, and I am guilty of shedding more tears for an animal in some movies than for the humans. I am afraid to go see Life of Pi because I am sure that tiger dies.

I speculate that for me, it was the result of "Disney", the original Walt who felt delivering children a healthy dose of reality was a "good thing", sort of like using cinema and animals to teach an important life lesson. Through "Disney", the whole aspect of death was mixed in there with catechism and real life losses. [bambi, Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Three Lives of Thomasina, etc]

I also see "animals" in some films as harmless and helpless. However, I recently saw Les Miserables, and I assure you, I cried "buckets" for the humans - so I am not totally heartless and sick.

HI! I definitely was not trying to be "correct" or "right" so please don't think that I am trying to force my message onto anyone! For what it is worth I don't think that you - or anyone in this topic - is heartless or sick!

As far as your Disney analysis/analogy goes I can definitely relate to it. To be honest Bambi still gets me...

If im gonna be honest i would say that a dog or even a wolf deseres much more sympathy than a human, even someone like robb who is very honorable. Realistically us humans are a messed up species, we are violent and manipulative in general and certain humans are just downright psycotic. Dogs on the other hand are loyal animals that would gladly sacrifice there well being for there owners safety. They are also based on pure emotion which you can see by how excited they get when someone comes back home after a while away. Adult humans are almost incapable of such intense emotions so a dog gets my sympathy vote 9 times out of ten,

If im gonna be honest i would say that a dog or even a wolf deseres much more sympathy than a human, even someone like robb who is very honorable. Realistically us humans are a messed up species, we are violent and manipulative in general and certain humans are just downright psycotic. Dogs on the other hand are loyal animals that would gladly sacrifice there well being for there owners safety. They are also based on pure emotion which you can see by how excited they get when someone comes back home after a while away. Adult humans are almost incapable of such intense emotions so a dog gets my sympathy vote 9 times out of ten,

As far as that go for dogs to owners, I think I need to pull you out of a dream. animals are as bad as humans if it goes to killing, the only thing is that humans do it with reason most of the time. Did you know that if the leader of a pack dies the new leader kills hiss puppys?

But that does not mean that dogs are very loyal to their masters, more than people. They will never betray you.

I think the entire RW will freak people out. I know for me personally, reading the book I was completely blown away. Literally felt my heart drop into my stomach. I was completely rooting for Robb to be King in the North! And the death of Grey Wolf equally horrifying. I actually think of each of the Stark kids and their wolves as almost one being, so when one or both of a set die I am very sad.

As far as that go for dogs to owners, I think I need to pull you out of a dream. animals are as bad as humans if it goes to killing, the only thing is that humans do it with reason most of the time. Did you know that if the leader of a pack dies the new leader kills hiss puppys?

But that does not mean that dogs are very loyal to their masters, more than people. They will never betray you.

KEVIN1989: Hmmm. I think that the nature of "dog" has matured through the centuries of domestication, at least according to Dogs 101 on Animal Planet. The experts often say that dogs have studied man far longer than we have studied dogs: dogs truly bond with their owners and vice-versa; but I will make the exception to that fact in regards to breed and training. Some dogs are trained to fight and kill. Some dogs are trained for search and rescue.

I have bred golden retrievers for several years, and goldens are notoriously gentle with a soft bite. [Nymeria also had the "soft bite" of a golden when she helped Arya pack her silks without snagging or damaging them - but Nymeria left Arya and had to learn to survive in the wild.]

In Jack London's novels, he writes about training sled dogs, and that is where I recall reading about the lead dog being the target of the entire pack. The dogs were even trained to hate the lead dog so that they would run faster to catch him when they were in harnesses.

I also bred tropical fish. Now, fish gobble up their young as soon as they are born - or the male, even female, will gobble up the eggs as soon as they are laid.

But those are just my ramblings.

KEVIN1989: Hmmm. I think that the nature of "dog" has matured through the centuries of domestication, at least according to Dogs 101 on Animal Planet. The experts often say that dogs have studied man far longer than we have studied dogs: dogs truly bond with their owners and vice-versa; but I will make the exception to that fact in regards to breed and training. Some dogs are trained to fight and kill. Some dogs are trained for search and rescue.

I have bred golden retrievers for several years, and goldens are notoriously gentle with a soft bite. [Nymeria also had the "soft bite" of a golden when she helped Arya pack her silks without snagging or damaging them - but Nymeria left Arya and had to learn to survive in the wild.]

In Jack London's novels, he writes about training sled dogs, and that is where I recall reading about the lead dog being the target of the entire pack. The dogs were even trained to hate the lead dog so that they would run faster to catch him when they were in harnesses.

I also bred tropical fish. Now, fish gobble up their young as soon as they are born - or the male, even female, will gobble up the eggs as soon as they are laid.

But those are just my ramblings.

Don't take it so personal, I just wanted to make some things clear. Knowing a Vet (hopefully the right word) personal you get to know these things. And yes we change the dogs nature, so the dog change by us, but I meant how they are in nature.

• 4 weeks later...

The direwolf Lady's death was more shocking to people than the murder of the innocent butcher's boy, Micah. I think the death of any future direwolves will be met with similar horror. Why? We see animals with this innate innocence or honesty. Animals are capable of violence and brutality, but not sadism. They kill for food and protection of themselves and their comrades. It's a heartbreaking to imagine a loyal pet being killed. Does this diminish the death of a human being? Of course not, but somehow it strikes more raw a nerve.

So, Grey Wind will probably be more vocally mourned outside the show, but the impact will be felt for Robb... & salt on the wound will be how he and his direwolf will be remembered after the tragedy. Seriously, no punches held in the Game of Thrones!

Archived