[BOOK SPOILERS] Who is the least accurately represented character in the series?

Blackfyre the Bold

Hmm, Stannis must be badly represented, because my mom, who hasn't read the books, thinks he's 'a weakling'. Now, regardless of whatever moral judgments you make on him, when someone thinks of Stannis as 'a weakling' something is quite clearly wrong.

Well, he is weakened by the start of Season 3 due the defeat at Blackwater and, more importantly, because of the shadowbaby.

However, if your mother says he's a weakling by Season 4, yes, then it's horribly represented. But right now, he needs to regain strenght.

Hmm, Stannis must be badly represented, because my mom, who hasn't read the books, thinks he's 'a weakling'. Now, regardless of whatever moral judgments you make on him, when someone thinks of Stannis as 'a weakling' something is quite clearly wrong.

Well, one persons view doesnt mean that something is "clearly wrong". Also, did your mom remember him chopping off the tops of heads and storming the walls in Blackwater? There only been two scenes where Stannis has been weak so far, both after Blackwater, where he has pretty much been crushed both strategically and morally.

The problem with Mance isn't the actor, Cyrian Hinds played a terrific Caesar on "Rome".

But how much screen time has Mance been afforded so far?

You need more than two or three scenes to make an impact.

No, the whole argument is that he is not likable instantly, as Mance Rayder should be. He doesn't convey strength or charisma, both of which are things that can be expressed in as little as one scene. Lady Olenna was great pretty much from the start. He appears to be a weak-jawed, crotchety, uninspiring figure that I don't find it believable that people would put aside their differences to follow. Maybe that will change, I don't know. A large part of it is his chin and the fact that his mouth points downward. He doesn't seem particularly shrewd either, so far.

You know, I didn't think of it until just now but I'm glad they had Jaime try to steal a sword and fight back last episode. I was reading a review and they mentioned that he got beaten by Brienne when he used the same trick, and now there are even more people and he has only his weak hand. I think it does a good job of reminding us of Jaime's reckless, risk taking tendencies. We haven't seen any of that since he pushed Bran and got in a fight with Ned.

Well, he is weakened by the start of Season 3 due the defeat at Blackwater and, more importantly, because of the shadowbaby.

However, if your mother says he's a weakling by Season 4, yes, then it's horribly represented. But right now, he needs to regain strenght.

I think that's more in line with short-term memory (No offense whatsoever intended to the mother). Stannis was way more badass in Blackwater than he ever was in the books, and in that episode his sort of decline is explained, albeit subtly, by the shadowbaby and the defeat at Blackwater.

So the remark that he's a weakling is what the producers want, his fires are burning low. But they also conveyed him to be very strong and asserting beforehand. You just have to take it in context, which I will admit wasn't done very well on the show.

as many people have already said, Jon is no where as cool as he is in the books, they seem to be trying to make him a fool who screws up constantly, yeah he makes mistakes and is rather naive in the books, but he is brave and far more clever than they give him credit fo in the show. i feel they way they are down playing his character is going to make it harder for viewers to swallow the how LC thing when it comes up. Khorin wanted Jon with him when he went out to kill the wildling they had spotted, he knew Jon was strong and important. instead we got some silly stuff about Jon not being able to know a wild thing and thinking so much of him self being from then north, and getting shut down by K.

a large change is also Ygritte, but i really like the change. i personally liked the book Ygritte, although many people ive spoken with didnt. im happy they have changed her to a more universaly likeable being. she actually made me laugh out loud many times with her teasing of Jon.

also Tormund and Mance are a rather let down, also to merge between Thoros, Tom seven strong, and a little bit f Lem i think

i only wish we had more of Jons story line beyond the wall happening atm. some very interesting/important stuff going on up there right now and they are just skipping by it , giving us only like a 5 second scene per episode... although im sure his role will be larger in the nex episode... for my name sake. "Kissed By Fire"

Jeyne/Talisa! The Red Wedding is supposed to be tragic, but now I'm looking forward to it. I don't care if it's a new character, as she's obviously standing in for a character in the book.

I'm mostly concerned with how the spirit of characters are represented. One character that really gets to me, and a few people have brought it up, is the replacement of Jeyne Westerling with Talisa. In the books, Robb, despite his successes, is undermined by the foolish impulses and notions of any boy his age, and knocks up some girl next door and tries to fix that with a disastrous marriage, as Ned's son would. And that's all she is, some inconsequential anygirl, which is perfect. Martin's books defy all of the juvenile, self-indulgent, daydream inspired tropes that makes most fantasy unbearable. Robb's is a story we can all understand and believe, because of the youthful folly it represents.

Talisa is on the contrary is the epitome of a Mary Sue character: exotic as she is merciful, confident and beautiful enough to steal the heart of a king. Ugh. She's like some terrible fan fiction that made it into HBOs incredible show, thus undermining a legitimately poignant story

When I began the books I feared Dany would resemble this stereotype, but if you really look at her she can be dangerously naive, vengeful, and she lusts after psychopaths. Though she does pursue it with a conscience, her cause is righteous because it's her right. All this makes her complex enough to exist in the same bewildered and morally ambiguous world as the rest of the characters.

Jon Snow... he's nothing like I imagined.

And I'm a bit disappointed by the Hound. The actor playing him does a fine job, but he isn't ugly, nor is he frightening, and he's a bit old and chubby in the face. His eyes lack anger and his scars sometimes aren't visible at all. He's just kind of there. I'd feel something every time he popped up in the books, but in the show he's just "meh". Still good, though. Just disappoints me personally.

Archived