[BOOK SPOILERS] Who is the least accurately represented character in the series?

Blackfyre the Bold

Xaro Xhoan Daxos has to be the most changed.

So far in the season 3 it looks like they are combining Lem Lemoncloak and maybe even Tom Seven Strings into Thoros of Myr, which so far, his character is way different from the books.

And just a side note, I was really disappointed in the fight between Brienne and Jamie in the most recent episode, way cooler in the books.

Ned, Robb, Jon, Arya, Catelyn, Dany, Cersei, Jaime, Tywin, Lysa, Baelish, Varys, Thoros, Theon, Tyrion, Drogo, Mirri-maz Dur, Sansa, Qaithe, Joffrey, Margaery, The Hound, Stannis, Renly, Qyburn, Robert Strong, Quenty Martell, Lazdar zo Lazreen or whatever the fuck his name is, Mance, Tormund, Yellow Dick... I could go on for days.

Really the only character that is portrayed accurately is Hodor. Everyone else is botched. But I will continue to watch just so I have something to complain about every week.

Except that Hodor is supposed to be half the size of Greatjon...not sure which one got bungled there.

I think it's because he is also filling part of the role of Styr, Magnar of Thenn, so his character has to represent a little biterness. There was just a character video posted on Youtube which highlights the characters. I think Tormund and Jon will get to be better friends as time goes on. Also, in the books, they respect each other, but they aren't buddy-buddy.

The character spotlight also makes Edmure look like a giant bafoon.

link for those interested in the video.

So wait - the Magnar of Thenn is not going to be cast? What about Sigorn? =(

I thought Addy was good at his portrayal as Robert, though despite being big and fat, he still wasn't big enough.

I love HBO's adaptation of the series, however, there portrayal of Shae is one of the things i hate most in this world haha, I heard speculation that she might be replacing Sir Dontos as helping Sansa from KL, if that happens i think i might just... die. I seriously cannot wait for Tyrion to kill her...

Other actors i thought were not so accurately portrayed were:

Roose (or maybe it just because he has hardly been in it)

I can't think of any others at the moment because like i said, i love the TV adaptation

I actually love Aiden Gillen as Littlefinger on the show; there is a strange patina of irony on everything he does- that he truly does think of it all as only a game.

Jon and Dany are two of the weakest links on the show- more so in Season 2- their arcs in S2 were poorly re-written, to be fair. Both actors will have a chance to redeem themselves, but I can't shake the feeling when watching them that they don't have much going on upstairs. Kit Harrington, in particular- I'm having trouble imagining him pull off the machinations Jon executes in ADwD as lord commander.

Mountain 2- not scary.

Qorin Halfhand- too short, just kind of non-descript.

Xaro was just a completely different character with the same name.

Sallador Saan was just fine- no reason he couldn't be from Summer Isles.

I kind of hated the character of Asha Greyjoy, but I like Yara, maybe a grimmer Iron Islander seems more believable to me.

It's just hard for me to get worked up about Renly- yes he's different, but I don't care. They probably just wanted more contrast between the three brothers Baratheon.

Renly excepted, it seems like the showrunners are making some of the characters less flamboyant- going grim with Mance and Tormund, no Strong Belwas, no Vargo Hoat on his zebra, no pink cloak for Roose. Some things that play on the page might just look stupid on screen.

Let's see... There' are so many:

Renly and Loras are just not what I imagined them.

Lancel with his stupid wig and limp face. How is he meant to resemble NCW enough to act as his sexual surrogate in Cersie's mind?

Mellisandre, bears no resemblance to her description in the books.

I haven't seen them in the roles yet, but both actors cast to play show Mance and show Ramsay give me pause.

Lancel: WHY? Seeing Lancel nude in the show! Those tiny hairless, skinny girl legs, tumble weed hair and Cindy Brady mouth force me to leave the room in disgust every time.

Gendry: looks weathered, like caught in a wind storm for a month weathered.

Xaro: TV Xaro was never going to encrust his nose with jewels and was to butch :P

Jorah is far more attractive than I pictured him though I have always found something sexy about the Mormont men even before the show.

I think its because the actor who's slated to play Ramsay is actually rather good looking. I reserve judgment until i see him in the role. If hes a super creeper like hes supposed to be, im cool with it. Im just not cool with the idea that he will have fangirls....

I think he has. You just need to look more carefully on episode 2 :cool4:

Personally, Shae's casting was the show's biggest disaster period, let alone their biggest character disaster. Some others deserve a mention though.

Littlefinger becomes less like Littlefinger every season, and its not for the better.

Renly was a big problem for me; he was meant to be far more grand and eloquent, and much, much more colourful. TV Renly had no presence whatsoever.

Also I don't think Robb is much like book Robb. Its not a change that bothers me so much, if they want to paint him as a hero, I can live with that. But he's certainly nothing like the books.

Oh, and Dolorous Edd of course. He's basically a different character.

Top 2: Shae and Talisa/Jeyne are completely different.

Cersei is a little more sympathetic, and actually sees Joffrey is sick.

Arya is less fierce.

Renly became a hothead, while Stannis became somewhat the opposite. Their personalities were reversed in the parley scene that didn't show Renly's peach.

Jon doesn't have much development.

Catelyn looks way too old. I don't know who she knew to get that gig. Even so, she acts far more like her character than Shae+Talisa/Jeyne.

Top 2: Shae and Talisa/Jeyne are completely different.

Cersei is a little more sympathetic, and actually sees Joffrey is sick.

Arya is less fierce.

Renly became a hothead, while Stannis became somewhat the opposite. Their personalities were reversed in the parley scene that didn't show Renly's peach.

Jon doesn't have much development.

Catelyn looks way too old. I don't know who she knew to get that gig. Even so, she acts far more like her character than Shae+Talisa/Jeyne.

Very, very rude. Michelle Fairley is a wonderful actress. Catelyn is described as attractive, so is Fairley.

Also. ALL OF THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN AGED UP. So I hate when people pin point one of the female characters and say ''ugh, looks too old'' this happens with Mel too and pisses me off.

Arya is less fierce.

Renly was more of a hothead in the books, being all around boisterous, jousting and laughing and Joffrey. The series portrayed Renly as quite calm I thought. Stannis on the other hand, is more of a hothead in the series, he leads the attack during Blackwater, he strangles Mel. Not sure why you mentioned the peach, seeing as Renly was pretty much goading Stannis in the same way as he was in the books during that scene.

That doesnt make her unnacurately represented at all. Also, she is still pretty fierce.

Sigh. No matter how many times this is explained, this keeps being brought up. THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN AGED UP, SHES NO OLDER THAN SEAN BEAN.

And as Theda has stated, its pretty rude.

Very, very rude. Michelle Fairley is a wonderful actress. Catelyn is described as attractive, so is Fairley.

Also. ALL OF THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN AGED UP. So I hate when people pin point one of the female characters and say ''ugh, looks too old'' this happens with Mel too and pisses me off.

Being a "wonderful" actress is only one prerequisite. You have to look the part, and I think there plenty of younger-looking women that could have done it. She looks like she's in her 60s.

Renly was more of a hothead in the books, being all around boisterous, jousting and laughing and Joffrey. The series portrayed Renly as quite calm I thought. Stannis on the other hand, is more of a hothead in the series, he leads the attack during Blackwater, he strangles Mel. Not sure why you mentioned the peach, seeing as Renly was pretty much goading Stannis in the same way as he was in the books during that scene.

We must be watching different shows/reading different books. Renly took everything with ease in the books. In the show, he looked like he wanted to jump off his horse and whack Stannis in the head during the parley. He was angry in that scene. Renly was not angry in the books in that scene. I don't know how you can try to argue it. Renly acted more like Renly in the first season. In the second he was different.

Stannis strangling Mel was out of character, but I think Stephen Dillane is not portraying Stannis right at all. I don't know if Stannis lead the attack in the books, and whether that makes him a hothead. I'm sure in the books he had a helmet though.

Sigh. No matter how many times this is explained, this keeps being brought up. THE CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN AGED UP, SHES NO OLDER THAN SEAN BEAN.

And as Theda has stated, its pretty rude.

I don't care if you think it's rude. I'm just being blunt. Like it or not, acting is a superficial business and she doesn't look the part to me. Sean Bean looked 10 years younger than her to me, and others I know have said the same. People on these forums are way to sensitive to criticisms about the actors, like they are members of their family or something.

Archived