[BOOK SPOILERS] Who is the least accurately represented character in the series?

Blackfyre the Bold

Michelle Fairley is in her late 40s. Sean Bean is in his early 50s. Catelyn looks older in the second and third seasons because she has lost her children, she has lot her husband, she is part of a military Camp with her Son.

Acting is NOT superficial business. Glenn looks NOTHING LIKE Jorah in the books and yet because he is such a fantastic actor, he is wonderful in the part.

I just think you're being very rude.

She doesn't look the part? Why not? She's pale, has auburn hair, pale skin, blue eyes. These are all characteristics of Catelyn.

Again: EVERY CHARACTER HAS BEEN AGED UP. Every. Single. One. Not just the children, so don't give me that bullshit.

If you didn't like her acting or portrayal of the character, then I wouldn't argue (even though I'd disagree) because that would be a valid opinion, however you're just complaining about her appearence all of which suits the description of Catelyn except for her age, but as I've pointed out, all the characters are aged up, so your argument still doesn't have much merit.

Sorry. :dunno:

Being a "wonderful" actress is only one prerequisite. You have to look the part, and I think there plenty of younger-looking women that could have done it. She looks like she's in her 60s.

We must be watching different shows/reading different books. Renly took everything with ease in the books. In the show, he looked like he wanted to jump off his horse and whack Stannis in the head during the parley. He was angry in that scene. Renly was not angry in the books in that scene. I don't know how you can try to argue it. Renly acted more like Renly in the first season. In the second he was different.

Stannis strangling Mel was out of character, but I think Stephen Dillane is not portraying Stannis right at all. I don't know if Stannis lead the attack in the books, and whether that makes him a hothead. I'm sure in the books he had a helmet though.

I don't care if you think it's rude. I'm just being blunt. Like it or not, acting is a superficial business and she doesn't look the part to me. Sean Bean looked 10 years younger than her to me, and others I know have said the same. People on these forums are way to sensitive to criticisms about the actors, like they are members of their family or something.

60s? Have you met a woman before? She looks mid 40s, 50s at the most.

So apart from one scene where Renly got angry, where is your proof that he is more of a hothead? The show makes Renly seem more tentative if anything, its Loras who gives him the idea to become king in the show, , he's frightened of blood and he doesn't participate in tourney's. Quite the opposite of hotheaded.

That helmet comment is so bizarre I dont know what to say. In all though, Stannis is not calm in the series, as evidenced by my two points. He commands the battle from far off in the books.

You arent being blunt, youre just being rude. Attacking an actress for her age is not being blunt, particularly when every character has been aged up.

Michelle Fairley is in her late 40s. Sean Bean is in his early 50s. Catelyn looks older in the second and third seasons because she has lost her children, she has lot her husband, she is part of a military Camp with her Son.

Acting is NOT superficial business. Glenn looks NOTHING LIKE Jorah in the books and yet because he is such a fantastic actor, he is wonderful in the part.

I just think you're being very rude.

She doesn't look the part? Why not? She's pale, has auburn hair, pale skin, blue eyes. These are all characteristics of Catelyn.

Again: EVERY CHARACTER HAS BEEN AGED UP. Every. Single. One. Not just the children, so don't give me that bullshit.

If you didn't like her acting or portrayal of the character, then I wouldn't argue (even though I'd disagree) because that would be a valid opinion, however you're just complaining about her appearence all of which suits the description of Catelyn except for her age, but as I've pointed out, all the characters are aged up, so your argument still doesn't have much merit.

Sorry. :dunno:

Acting is not a superficial business? I'm done wasting my time replying. Bye.

60s? Have you met a woman before? She looks mid 40s, 50s at the most.

So apart from one scene where Renly got angry, where is your proof that he is more of a hothead? The show makes Renly seem more tentative if anything, its Loras who gives him the idea to become king in the show, , he's frightened of blood and he doesn't participate in tourney's. Quite the opposite of hotheaded.

That helmet comment is so bizarre I dont know what to say. In all though, Stannis is not calm in the series, as evidenced by my two points. He commands the battle from far off in the books.

You arent being blunt, youre just being rude. Attacking an actress for her age is not being blunt, particularly when every character has been aged up.

We can just agree to disagree on everything then.

Wasting your time replying? See. You're just rude.

Oh, and no; in the context of what you were saying, you were saying her acting skills don't matter if she doesn't look exactly how you imagine.

I pointed out Jorah looks nothing like he did in the books, but because he is such a wonderful actor, he is very enjoyable to watch.

What about this do you disagree with or are you just trying to cheaply exit the thread by insulting someone who doesn't quite agree with you.

Right. OK. :P

Acting is not a superficial business? I'm done wasting my time replying. Bye.

We can just agree to disagree on everything then.

Good to now that your up for reasonable discussion.

I suppose you could return to ignoring the facts and the opinions of others and continuing with ad-hominem attacks on the actors, sure.

Least accuate is Tywin for me.

Book Tywin - Utterly ruthless Badass, all business, no sentiment - unflappable, can't be fooled - terrifying to be on the wrong side of.

TV Tywin - sentimental, virtually befriends Arya and inspite of seeing past her obvious lies just lets it slide and lets her hang out listening on private conversations, reading sensitive military planning docs and even eating his leftovers !

Book = Tywin TV = Tylose (I'm very proud of myself for that)

I can't say I like this cousin killer dyslexic Jaime either after reading show-only viewers' thoughts about him on the internets. He has been made 'dumb' and more cruel than he needs to be.( + he shoved Bran out of the window with wrong hand?)

Multiple answers is cheating but

Renly-nothing in common besides his name

Shae-Only similar aspect of show and book Shae is name

Jeyne Westerling-New name and new character entirely

Xaro-If I could list everyone in that city I would but because I can't I will name him; anyone who read the book series knows why

Also the House of the Undying Scene was the worst scene in the show by far, so far, Totally butchered what should have been one of the best scenes of the season

Also the House of the Undying Scene was the worst scene in the show by far, so far, Totally butchered what should have been one of the best scenes of the season

The TV scene is actually genius if you analyze it correctly but as far as deviating from the original, it is a butchering. However the TV version actually gives us insight we don't even have from the books.

And on another note if you don't like Charles Dance's Tywin there's something wrong with your head.

And on another note if you don't like Charles Dance's Tywin there's something wrong with your head.

Am i in the wrong place? This is the least accurately portayed thread isn't it?

Liking Charles Dance has nowt to do with it - TV Tywin is nothing like book Tywin.

Well I don't know if they're going to stick with it, but I thought Tyrion's recognizing that Littlefinger borrows the money that he finds was a bad change. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but doesn't Littlefinger make money by investing it and investing it prudently? I don't know, claiming that he borrows it all sets up the conflict with the iron bank later on, but at the risk of making Littlefinger seem less intelligent than he is, and therefore makes his level of involvement in causing the war less believable when the time comes.

Maybe they'll have it turn out that he just hid what he was doing so well that he even tricked Tyrion, an established bookish character, into thinking he borrows it. I don't know.

And when you are talking about a television programme how the hell can you call acting superficial? As if it doesn't really matter very much? Wow...

:bs:

Isn't acting by definition a superficial business?

That said, Lena Headey's Cersei doesn't seem like a gibbering idiot, so I'd say she's both very "inaccurate" and improved for the show.

peter dinklage amazing actor, Tyrion gets greyer as the books go on you see that he is Tywin Lannisters son, ppl still love him even tho he's not perfect, he's 3 dimentional character and even when he has someone murdered in cold blood you cant hate him, but tv Tyrion is so whitwashed he's almost like the poster boy for underdogs everywhere.

Mark Addy was brilliant, he just was not tall enough. I am willing to overlook physical features for quality performance and with the exception of Sean Bean and Peter Dinkladge (season 1) I dont think there has been anyone who topped Addy.

That opening scene with Tyrion and the whores eats away at me. Tyrion has had whores, but he never made a outward fool of himself. That scene has me seeing Tywins side of things. I may not go to such extremes as Tywin did but he has a point if Tyrion was acting like that.

The TV scene is actually genius if you analyze it correctly but as far as deviating from the original, it is a butchering. However the TV version actually gives us insight we don't even have from the books.

I'd like to know why you think it is genius? I thought it was pretty boring honestly. And I understand that the book version would have been super expensive to reproduce but it's one of my favorite scenes in the book and I was looking forward to seeing it.

actors portraying Stannis and Davos are miscast...would have been perfect casting had they swithed roles.

I see why so many people say this, but at the same time... I LIKE Davos. And I don't like Stannis. Same for their respective actors. Switch it and I might actually *gasp* like Stannis! Nooooo!

Mance Raydor -- he's just not the way I pictured him when reading the book. I saw him as younger, more dashing - tall, but of slighter build. Defined, I guess, by his cloak which I imagined to be kind of like Zorro's cloak, complete with red silk. I think the actor is doing a fine job, he just doesn't look the way I pictured him.

Shae, as so many have said. They've made her prettier and more gentle both in looks and in personality.

Jeyne Westerling (obviously) -- I don't like the switch, and I don't like the 'persona' of Talisa.

I pictured Thoros of Myr as much thinner and a much less forceful character. But I think he's also one of those characters I didn't pay so much attention to while racing through the books, and I guess I was looking for Lem or Tom instead.

I think the rest of the TV characters are perfectly cast - at least they look just how I pictured them looking when I read the books.

Stannis. Book Stannis was sharp and curt with everyone and even to Melisandre at times. Here, he seems to be overly attached to her. Also, while he did have sex with Melisandre, I was always under the impression that he did it for the sake of his "duty" to the realm and the power Melisandre gave him. Hell I think even Queen Selyse encouraged it seeing how fanatical she is. TV Stannis was...weirdly horny (the season 2 "I'll give you a son" was ridiculous) and the recent episode where he dry humped her in the open. I think the main reason why Stannis feels so gutted is the lack of the conflict between the King's Men and Queen's Men.

Speaking of which, Melisandre is also portrayed as the stereotypical evil witch. No wonder GRRM said that she was probably the most misunderstood character.

Archived