[BOOK SPOILERS] Who is the least accurately represented character in the series?

Blackfyre the Bold

They combined ppl b4 but completely remove them from the show and invent one in. Wow I never heard that before where did you get it? Did someone confirm it?

What's there to confirm? it's a different character, with different name, different personality and completely different backstory.

Re: Jon's sense of humor

I think he does make jokes but a lot of Jon's character is very internal in the books. He's the kind of person that says amusing things but mostly in their head. When they do say amusing things out loud, it's a matter of preference if you find it funny or not. He's far from making jokes for the benefit of anyone present, which makes him not funny in the usual sense. There are a lot of people like him in real life, and they tend to come across as pretty grim/unhappy even if they aren't, so I'm not surprised that in the show he doesn't really say anything funny. Because his character is not usually looking to cause a laugh riot. They have a very dry sense of humor.

So in summary, Jon is not funny in the show because his character is more internal than would work on tv. His sense of humor is also not as in your face as most Americans are accustomed to. Now, why he always looks like someone just spilled soup on him, I have no answer to.

Early on in DwD:

Not everyone finds that kind of comment funny, but it does display some sense of humor.

There's also:

Again, dry, sarcastic humor.

This is just in his first chapter. He's not the kind of funny that Tyrion is, but he has a sense of humor that's pretty much gone in the show. I think it's because he's more internal than most characters.

Oh and I don't care if Melisandre is portrayed accurately because Carice van Houten is appropriately hot for a follower of R'hllor :rofl:

But he wasn't funny in SoS and before, really. Which was my point.

The funny thing is, when I see Michelle Fairley in interviews she looks just about right (even though I still picture her differently when reading the books), when she's running around like Catelyn on the show she suddenly looks 10 years older. I see it as partially a result of aging up her children, but dang, they must truly destroy her every time before she walks onto a set. In the audio commentaries she even says she "can't bear to watch herself on screen", surely she passes it off as a joke and it's also a result of her modesty, but still, I can't imagine her being all too happy with the way she's depicted. Catelyn is described as still beautiful and fit to bear children, after all.

Oh and I'm sure there were very beautiful women in every age... Plus, you might be interested in knowing that there were a lot of things people did to look more beautiful even before the medieval ages (the old Greeks, for example, had quite a lot of things).

This is interesting what you tell about the perception of Fairley herself. Did the showmakers want to enhance the impression of a woman in pain, a martyrlike character?

I know quite a lot about the ideology of female beauty since I am professionally into analysing and working with different concepts of beauty in art. But the "old" methods of enhancing and preserving physical beauty were just as much dangerous, like poisonous skin whitening substances as they were beneficial, like milk, honey and yaourt. And we all know that the blood of virgins did not help :) . All those methods have in common that beauty was mainly determined by a woman's usefulness in reproduction, i.e. youthfulness, health and symmetry, not by individuality and charisma.

accents ....I could write a long long post on this but thought better of it... its a bit hard to take different members of the same family having quite different regional/class accents but you just get over that and enjoy the ones that do it well like Rob Stark. Jaime's interesting to listen to because his accent wobbles about a bit too but I don't mind that. Tyrion's old fashioned 'posh' diction (is it RADA?) sounds a bit annoying but I've got used to it.

Yeah some of the accents both me also. I love listening to Jorah. I wish I had a voice like him. So smooth yet manly. How the ladies would love me with that voice.

I don't know why but I don't like Margaery Tyrell in the show. I think she should be more subtle, she is more direct in show and I imagine that she would look different. Natalie Dormer look more like Florent or Frey.

This one really bothers me. I love Dormer but she is just too old (30). Margaery is 15 in the books. It just feels wrong in the show when Marg and Joff are together. It those days Marg is old enough to be his mother. Marg also seems a lot smarter in the TV show. Not that she isn't smart but it's the QoT in the books who is pulling all the strings.

Margaery/Tommen is going to be awkward because of the age difference and because of the fact they made Margaery into some sex kitten.

Tyrion. They made him almost a saint in the series instead of the cruel jerkass he's in the books.

Tyrion certainly isn't a saint but he isn't cruel either. I don't know why you think that.

My problem with TV Tyrion is his looks and accent. He sounds like rich American who thinks they sound smart with some gaudy British accent ala Madonna. His looks are also a problem. He is supposed to be ugly as hell and he is good looking for a Dwarf.

As for other characters I think they got wrong.

Shae is obvious but like others have said they are two different characters.

Renly also bothered me. He is a fairy in the show. I know networks are determined to put homosexuality into every show these days but why must they all be fairies? The Wire did it right with Omar. The most BAMF that walked the earth yet he was gay.

Tyrion is way too smooth and charming in the show. I've always imagined Tyrion to talk like grrm. Smart ass with a lot of short quips and a high pitched voice.

Ramsay is definitely way too composed and "handsome" in the show. I always thought he was a ginger with a weak pale body. Don't ask me why.

Sansa is too "strong" in the show.

Also, I'd always pictured Ned as a "Viggo Mortensen" and not a Sean Bean type.

I think enhancing Margaery's character actually gives the Tyrell/Lannister rivalry a little more meat. Without that, the happenings in Kings Landing would be pretty minimal this season.

Also, the show didn't MAKE Renly gay, it was pretty obvious in the books.

...Xaro Xhoan Daxos? At least, in the books we'd never see a woman sleeping with him. :lol:

That reminds me, I didn't really like Doreah's betrayal in the show.

Also, Lena's eyebrows- she's a fantastic actress but something with her eyebrows has Cersei looking angry in all her scenes. Bothers me a bit.

Tyrion is way too smooth and charming in the show. I've always imagined Tyrion to talk like grrm. Smart ass with a lot of short quips and a high pitched voice.

Ramsay is definitely way too composed and "handsome" in the show. I always thought he was a ginger with a weak pale body. Don't ask me why.

Sansa is too "strong" in the show.

Also, I'd always pictured Ned as a "Viggo Mortensen" and not a Sean Bean type.

GRRM has said in public that Dinklage's mannerisms and depiction is basically exactly how he pictured Tyrion. Of course Dinklage being more handsome being the main caveat.

I think we can lay to rest the Ramsey thing. Did you see his creepy reactions in EP4? He was acting composed to fool Theon.

GRRM has said in public that Dinklage's mannerisms and depiction is basically exactly how he pictured Tyrion. Of course Dinklage being more handsome being the main caveat.

I think we can lay to rest the Ramsey thing. Did you see his creepy reactions in EP4? He was acting composed to fool Theon.

yeah I remember reading him say that he cares more about the essence of the character being accurate than the looks.

And yes, Ramsay almost looked like he was a bit turned on by having tricked Theon. Like he pissed himself a lil bit when Theon realized where he was. Idk it was really odd. I felt bad for being relieved though, if only because I didn't understand what was going on lol. Seems like the kind of thing Ramsay would do though. I assume next they'll show Kyra escaping and taking him with her, but with him being more guarded and paranoid. So they can show how messed up Ramsay is, which seems to be their goal.

Mark Adey may not have been inch-for-inch an exact match for the novels' description of Robert Baratheon, but I think his portrayal was extremely good and closer to Martin's characterization than most. None of them are going to be perfect matches physically. (For example; Tyrion. Strictly speaking, his face should be a lot uglier, both before and after the Blackwater but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that will criticize Dinkelage's Tyrion as being at odds with Martin's character).

The show changes, shortens and amalgamates characters as necessary. Should an actor, writer or producer be criticized for a decision that's a result of the creative process that goes on behind the scenes in adapting a novel to the small screen? If you have a criticism, it probably should be for said process. I myself enjoy it even if their portrayal is vastly different from my interperetation.

As for the things I think are the biggest changes and even oversights, there have been elements that the TV series has added that aren't a part of the books, notably Loras and Renley's relationship and all subsequent scenes and conversations. Those two characters are a lot more developed in the TV series because of it. Martin has confirmed they are involved in the book but its never directly stated and the hints that there is a relationship between the two men are A LOT MORE SUBTLE.

Perhaps George's only major shortcoming in the novels (that the TV series has managaed to correct) is Lady Olenna Tyrell. She has three scenes in the novels, the incredible one with Sansa and Margery with Butterbumps at breakfast and again later at Joffrey's wedding and subsequent funeral. That scene with Sansa at the beafast is a seminal moment for Sansa as well as a triumph for Martin's ability to write women and dialogue. It might be one of the best scenes in the books, at least one that doesen't involve a death. The scene is shortenned and changed a little for TV but its spirit and Martin's sharp dialogue and the Queen of Thorns come through just as powerfully. Dianna Rigg's portrayal of the Queen of Thorns is exceptional. Its an exceptional actor playing an exceptional character. However that one scene is all Martin really gives us. The TV series is here to rectify that oversight. I don't know what Game of Thrones has in store for Lady Olenna but lets hope it will capitalize on Riggs' epic delivery and Martin's fiercest old woman.

Mance Raydar is not at all how he comes off in the novels. He seems gruffer, more serious. In short he's one directional. In the novels he's more clever, more diplomatic and even a little funny and tragic. Obviously Thormund Guantsbane is an amalgamation of several characters including the first Magnar of Thenn and probably the Weeper. The Wildlings in general have been stunted in their translation to the small screen. There is almost no character development. The scenes with Mance and Thormund with Jon in the tents (across two books) do much to diffuse our notions that Wildlings are savages and have no redeeming traits. It gives weight to their struggle. It makes us feel sorry for them in some ways. I know we haven't seen that much of Mance in the TV show so it maybe a little presumptuous to assume that this is it for his character, but we've already past the point where Mance sends Jon out with the Wildlings over The Wall. they've already wittled down the tent scenes pre-Battle For The Wall from a Wierewood to a tooth pick. As viewers we may never get a chance to root for them because of it. This is an egregious oversight unless Rose Leslie's Ygritte can rescue the Wildlings redeemability for the viewers.

I don't find Mance intimidating at all, actually. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that large numbers of people would follow. He's not magnetic, he looks weak, and I suppose my overall problem with him is that, in my opinion, he doesn't have what I suppose critics would call presence. My eye is not drawn to him when he enters a room and I find him boring.

anyway, this interview is something GRRM says about character casting

I mean, you can describe a character in the book, but you're never gonna get an actor who exactly meets the physical dimensions of the character. I know some of the fans go crazy about this. "Ooooh that character had red hair in the book and they cast someone with blond hair." But, for the most part, that stuff is trivial.

In the case of Tyrion, yeah Tyrion in the books is shorter than Peter Dinklage is and he's considerably less attractive. Peter is actually quite a good looking guy. But Peter Dinklage is a sensational actor and brought Tyrion to life vividly. That's what you want. You're not trying to match an author's imaginary description of a person who never existed; you're trying to bring a character to life by casting the best possible actor you can in the role.

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2013/03/valar-dohaeris-an-interview-with-george-rr-martin.html

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I thought Patrick Malahide absolutley killed it as Balon Greyjoy. He was so good that its kind of sad to think he probably won't be seen again unless they show the bridge scene. I love the fact they brought in such a quality actor to play a relativley brief role. By the way, first post from a long time admirer of westeros.org :thumbsup:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I thought Patrick Malahide absolutley killed it as Balon Greyjoy. He was so good that its kind of sad to think he probably won't be seen again unless they show the bridge scene. I love the fact they brought in such a quality actor to play a relativley brief role. By the way, first post from a long time admirer of westeros.org :thumbsup:

Agreed, once of the best performances in a show with lots of good performances.

Archived