Could "pass beneath the shadow" mean Valyria?

Selyxi

Quaithe's prophecies and cryptic advice have been a topic of discussion here many times over, I know. I have been reading some of them recently and since I didn't read this notion from anyone else, I figured I'd share my thoughts.

I have actually been thinking that "pass beneath the shadow" might mean Dany needs to venture into the Smoking Sea and the ruins of Valyria. I imagine that area as unnaturally dark on a constant basis. Given Dany's heavily Valyrian heritage and her dragons that are in desperate need of discipline, it seems to me that going there could prove useful for her. I could see going there being even more necessitated by the dragon horn VIctarion's got,especially if it means finding or learning something that Dany can use to keep her dragons. Plus, it also involves going south (you know, to eventually go north) and it would be on the way for Dany to get to Westeros (freakin' finally).

Of course, I admit that this might be a much more figurative shadow, but if we're talking about a place, that's what I'm hoping it means. I think I read here that GRRM has said we won't be visiting Asshai, so I would guess that the shadow-that-it's-by may be ruled out. I admit this is partially fueled by my desire to visit this place through a PoV character.

Thoughts?

I would be nice to visit the ruins of ancient Valyria but I doubt it's actually Valyria. I saw a video on YouTube about Elio saying that passing under might mean when Drogon's shadow engulfed the fighting fit and Dany as well in Meeren

This is what I originally thought and hoped, but he may have wasted too much of Dany's time frittering around Slaver's Bay for her to take yet another side trip before heading to Westeros. Though, I suppose if she's flying on Drogon, that could eliminate some of the timing problems, LOL.

Id have to reread but I thought it was made clear that Quaithe just wanted to get Dany into Asshai asap.

I thought that too, but it makes more sense if Dany must go to Valyria. Ashai is too far away while Valyria is on the way to Westeros. Of course, Valyria is neither East or South of Quarth and that weakens the OP's theory.

I would be nice to visit the ruins of ancient Valyria but I doubt it's actually Valyria. I saw a video on YouTube about Elio saying that passing under might mean when Drogon's shadow engulfed the fighting fit and Dany as well in Meeren

That's what I think as well.

Ah, I forgot that Qarth is as far south as it is (just checked a map). But it's basically the southern most point in Essos, so unless she should be going to Sothoros, I don't think the direction necessarily means in relation to Qarth, but rather wherever she is when remembers Quaithe's words and decides to act on them.

I thought Quaithe was speaking about Asshai, but that is a bit too obvious so it could be something less litteral.

I've lost all hope at seeing Asshai in first person. I suspect we'll see it in a flashback from Mels

• 2 months later...

Im re-reading CoK now and maybe "pass beneath the shadow" is just Danys journey through the House of the Undying. There are several references in that chapter to shadows and darkness and passing under things. For example the "palace of dust" (a shadow of its former glory perhaps) is a low building with black tiles on its roof. It stands among those tall black trees of which shade of the evening is made. She even drinks some. The whole chapter has this gloomy and dark feel to it.

Anyway, its just another theory.

I've wondered if the shadow means the Wall. The Wall is the largest structure around, and so has the largest shadow.

Weird thing is, i've read interesting evidence that the Wall doesn't even have a shadow.

Interesting. Where was this? any more details please?

Ah, i read stuff about it a while back, and i can't find it even with google. It concerned the growth of vegetation. Sorry to be so vague, i can just remember it was very interesting. It was in small questions so i just can't locate it.

Ah, i read stuff about it a while back, and i can't find it even with google. It concerned the growth of vegetation. Sorry to be so vague, i can just remember it was very interesting. It was in small questions so i just can't locate it.

No worries bud,

something like that can only be put in the story for a reason so it should appear in one of the next books. Just interested in where whoever wrote it got the information from.

Valyria or the Smoking Sea of Valyria has a lot going for it, especially if Azor Ahai is to be reborn amidst smoke and salt. There have certainly been more than enough hints about it. and it would also be consistent with what Quaithe said about going back, because that would be going back to where the Targaryens and their dragons came from.

Could be about how the trees north of the Wall started growing next to the Wall when Jon and the Wildlings climbed it. That far north, the trees shouldn't be growing close to the Wall because the Wall being 700 feet high wouldn't let sunlight do whateveritis they do to encourage plant growth. But plants don't need direct sunlight to grow, do they?

Archived