Why would Rhaegar make such a great king?

Woftis

As for the prophetic aspect... is it more important to conform to a generic expectation of common sense or to save the world? All the classic archetypes (which GRRM often bases his narrative on) suggest that prophecies have a non-linear way to come true. They walk a twisted path on irony shaped legs.

This is a good way of putting it.

It reflects what I think may have happened with him - it was not just lust which drove him to his actions with Lyanna, but hubris. The prophecy is central to that hubris, maybe more than "oh, I love her" or "I'm the crown prince, blood of the dragon and I take what I will". It may also explain why his risked his life against Robert directly on the Trident - did he feel he was fated to survive? Or did he perhaps think he was fated to die, and applied a sort of fatalism to everything he was doing ?

It may also explain why his risked his life against Robert directly on the Trident - did he feel he was fated to survive? Or did he perhaps think he was fated to die, and applied a sort of fatalism to everything he was doing ?

He was certainly confident of returning when he spoke to Jaime before setting out. He had already started making grand plans for removing Aerys.

• 1 year later...

Depending on his small council member and especially his Hand that would determine what type of king he would be.Aerys had Tywin ,boyhood friends . Tywin very competent and utter ruthlessness ,Tywin ran the realm while Aerys sinked into madness. Robert had Jon Arryn. Their relationship is more like father and son. Jon competent but didn't have the cold bloodedness to control the small council members who had their own agendas. While Robert tried to lose himself in drink and frivolity, Jon was fixated on pleasing him. When Rhaegar said after the war he going to make some changes , what changes? Dethrone Aerys? Or reinstate polygamy . All that is known he was just as detached as Robert with his women or Aerys and love of fire, Rhaegar and his prophesies . Unless he had a Tywin to govern he would go down in history as another crazy Targaryen.

Apparently I'm one of the few people who think Rhaegar was relatively sane and without the epic fanatacism that afflicts the majority of his family members. I don't think he kidnapped Lyanna out of a desire to fulfill prophecy mainly because... why Lyanna? If the dragon had to have 3 heads, wouldn't any woman do to bear his child? He believed Aegon to be the PtwP and that HIS song was the song of ice and fire. He definitely could have kidnapped someone far more convenient with far less obvious ramifications.

Furthermore, even though we know that Lyanna may have been attracted to Rhaegar (based on her tears to his song in TKOTLT story) that doesn't mean she was willing to elope with him. Her main criticism of Robert was that he would never keep to one bed. Why would she run off with a man who behaved the exact same way? She clearly was not satisfied with being with a man who wouldn't commit to her no matter how super mega awesome foxy hot he was.

Of all the explanations of why Rhaegar took her, I think it was most likely a rescue attempt that went sideways. Maybe Aerys found out she was TKOTLT or he wanted to get back at Rickard for conspiring against him. Maybe Rhaegar was really insane. Maybe he just made a tragic decision. We don't really have enough facts, but no one seems to think he was out of it, even the people closest to him. Their perceptions of him may have been colored by personal feelings, but if he had a streak of madness I think it would have been noticed, especially considering his parentage.

It's quite easy to be "loved" by the public and to have people speak highly of you when you're a) handsome b ) not a terrible person c) the crown prince.You see it all the time even nowadays, with people adoring X celebrity and mourning their death when they pass away, despite not really knowing anything about them. I think it worked pretty much in the same way.

Also, I think that Rhaegar, in a way, represented a promise of a better future, taking into account the madness of the king. (Not sure how many of the smallfolk knew about the state of Aerys, but this might have been on the mind of the noblemen/courtiers who knew).

We don't know. Robert claims she was kidnapped, but its never confirmed. Rickon and Brandon I guess also believed it when they come asking for her back. I definitely think she eloped with Rhaegar on her own. Can you blame her? The choice for a 16 year girl between Rhaegar and Robert is no choice at all. I am of the opion Lyanna was the knight of the laughing tree and she simply ran off with Rhaegar. Kidnapping her goes against everything we've heard about Rhaegar.

Robert was a stud back then, Rhaegar married.

I think she ran off with him as well, but it's still an indication of faults within RT that might come out as a king because he ran off with some lady while already married (which is pretty disrespectful, arrogant, and low down). Not that much different than Robert's whoring.

Robert was also a promiscuous man and some people liked him as King and thought his time as a ruler was a time of peace, even though we know he was a lame negligent King. So, the indication that Rhaegar might have had a mistress isn't something that could define him as a King, only as a person.

Robert was also a promiscuous man and some people liked him as King and thought his time as a ruler was a time of peace, even though we know he was a lame negligent King. So, the indication that Rhaegar might have had a mistress isn't something that could define him as a King, only as a person.

It's not just being promiscuous, it's all the other circumstances and choices he made- crowning Lyanna as queen of beauty- publicly disrespecting his wife. He also either ran off with or kidnapped the sister of the warden of the north with a hothead brother and powerful army. He disappeared during troubling times in the realm when he was prince just to have his fling.

It's not just being promiscuous, it's all the other circumstances and choices he made- crowning Lyanna as queen of beauty- publicly disrespecting his wife. He also either ran off with or kidnapped the sister of the warden of the north with a hothead brother and powerful army. He disappeared during troubling times in the realm when he was prince just to have his fling.

All of this information is what we got after Rhaegar died and the man whose betrothed apparently he kidnapped was named King. Robert says she was raped and not everybody thinks the same, unless everybody is in denial. And anyone who could have known the real story is dead. All we got about Rhaegar's actions are theories but nothing is really confirmed.

All of this information is what we got after Rhaegar died and the man whose betrothed apparently he kidnapped was named King. Robert says she was raped and not everybody thinks the same, unless everybody is in denial. And anyone who could have known the real story is dead. All we got about Rhaegar's actions are theories but nothing is really confirmed.

This has no bearing on my points, whether or not Lyanna was kidnapped or she fled willingly at Rhaegar's suggestion, serious judgement flaws and lack of care for the realm are still displayed.

This has no bearing on my points, whether or not Lyanna was kidnapped or she fled willingly at Rhaegar's suggestion, serious judgement flaws and lack of care for the realm are still displayed.

We don't know if she was kidnapped or she left by Rhaegar's suggestion either. Maybe she escaped by herself (after all, Arya did it) and her encounter with Rhaegar was coincidental.

We don't know if she was kidnapped or she left by Rhaegar's suggestion either. Maybe she escaped by herself (after all, Arya did it) and her encounter with Rhaegar was coincidental.

True,

However, I think getting the flower from Rhaegar instead of his wife getting it is a pretty good indicator that coincidence would be rather far-fetched.

Rhaegar would have been the greatest king Westeros would have had. Simply put, if things had continued as they were supposed to, Rhaegar would have been king when the Others made themselves known, giving the man finally a real purpose. And we know how the guy was when he was only half-heartedly invested. Rhaegar would habe drafted every able-bodied man in Westeros and probably Essos into fighting the Others. Even without dragons that would have likely resulted in a victory.

And Rhaegar as the king who defeated that kind of foe, he would made look every other king lame in comparison. Jahaerys who? Tax policy what?

Rhaegar would have been the greatest king Westeros would have had. Simply put, if things had continued as they were supposed to, Rhaegar would have been king when the Others made themselves known, giving the man finally a real purpose. And we know how the guy was when he was only half-heartedly invested. Rhaegar would habe drafted every able-bodied man in Westeros and probably Essos into fighting the Others. Even without dragons that would have likely resulted in a victory.

And Rhaegar as the king who defeated that kind of foe, he would made look every other king lame in comparison. Jahaerys who? Tax policy what?

Absent Dany and the eventual birth of the dragons, how would his response be any different than that of any other monarch be it Targaryen or Baratheon? Exactly how would he defeat the Others?

Because he was a beautiful Targaryen. People go crazy for them in Planetos you know. Seriously though Rhaegar was loved by the smallfolk, and was according to many a very smart person. He also had a marriage alliance with the Martells and an heir ready if he died. Personally I don't think I can give a good answer since we've never met him in the series. Just remember the smallfolk loved rulers like: Robert, Aerys II, Baelor I and Rhaenyra at some point or the other, and they weren't that good at ruling.

Absent Dany and the eventual birth of the dragons, how would his response be any different than that of any other monarch be it Targaryen or Baratheon? Exactly how would he defeat the Others?

You mean Joffrey Baratheon's response to laugh it off and instead to instigate a war so devastating that even if the Others invade Westeros proper, the defense will be severely lacking?

You are seriously trying to tell me that the clusterfuck that is the Game of Thrones does not impact the fight against the Others? Because that it does, is, like, the message of the whole series.

If Rhaegar had inherited the IT, there is a high likelihood his reign would have not resulted in a war in any was comparable to the WOTFK. And thus his ability to mobilize armies would have been quite intact. And the entire armies of Westeros could do actually a lot more than three untamed, immature dragons stand a chance of doing. Sam, probably the second worst soldier in NW (after Aemon) managed to slay an Other on his lonesome. What do you think an army of hundred-thousands of men standing united against the threat of total annihilation would be capable of doing?

Rhaegar would have needed neither dragons nor a promised prince. He would have not needed Lightbringer, three children, or woman to die for him. He would have needed nothing more but the power of his crown to save the realm. He might not have been the Prince Who was Promised but he most certainly was the King Who Westeros Needed.

If he went after Lyanna (and Jon) because of his belief in prophecies, fate, and magic then we are looking at the greatest irony ever. It's very likely that Rhaegar didn't need that crap, that he could have fixed it with realpolitik. But this sort of thing is not unusual for ASOIAF, where the best intention always lead straight to hell.

I think that he would turn out like Egg. Overall perhaps a good king and ruler with a devoted following among the small folk. Yet remember both Aegon and Rheagar were willing to alienate the nobles of the lands as shown by Aegon's decision to let his sons marry for love (which may have contributed to Summerhall). Similarly Rheagar not effectively communicating whatever scheme he cooked up. With the possibility of making foes of the Martells, Starks, and Baratheons and technically the Tullys as the only thing that the Tully-Stark alliance was waiting for it seemed was a wedding in a sept.

Both seemed to be good men, Aegon was a good king loved by many, with many saying Rheagar would have been even better. Yet their downfall was obsession with prophecy and the destiny of the Targs along with a disregard for the relations between the houses of the kingdoms.

I am not sure that he would have been a great king. Just a king more likely to have held Targ rule and the kingdoms together. But I also wouldn't rule out that he could have been a great or good king. The daughters of the lords may have loved his harp, or looks, but I don't see him giving concerts to the average people. He seemed to be liked by all classes of people, not just horny young nobles. And not necessarily in contrast to his father, who the average people also seem to have viewed more positively than the lords did. He seems to have been well rounded. Not just a bookworm and not just a warrior. Again, not arguing he would've been a great king, and who knows what information most the realm based their opinion of him on. But from the POVs, it seems there is a general thought that Rhaegar could have at least ensured the dynasty would or might have survived him.

You mean Joffrey Baratheon's response to laugh it off and instead to instigate a war so devastating that even if the Others invade Westeros proper, the defense will be severely lacking?

You are seriously trying to tell me that the clusterfuck that is the Game of Thrones does not impact the fight against the Others? Because that it does, is, like, the message of the whole series.

If Rhaegar had inherited the IT, there is a high likelihood his reign would have not resulted in a war in any was comparable to the WOTFK. And thus his ability to mobilize armies would have been quite intact. And the entire armies of Westeros could do actually a lot more than three untamed, immature dragons stand a chance of doing. Sam, probably the second worst soldier in NW (after Aemon) managed to slay an Other on his lonesome. What do you think an army of hundred-thousands of men standing united against the threat of total annihilation would be capable of doing?

Rhaegar would have needed neither dragons nor a promised prince. He would have not needed Lightbringer, three children, or woman to die for him. He would have needed nothing more but the power of his crown to save the realm. He might not have been the Prince Who was Promised but he most certainly was the King Who Westeros Needed.

If he went after Lyanna (and Jon) because of his belief in prophecies, fate, and magic then we are looking at the greatest irony ever. It's very likely that Rhaegar didn't need that crap, that he could have fixed it with realpolitik. But this sort of thing is not unusual for ASOIAF, where the best intention always lead straight to hell.

The idiot already helped cause one war. It is obvious he doesn't understand his subjects, high or low born. He wouldn't intentionally screw things up, but he would screw things up. And the lords just got done with one Mad King, what are they going to think when this new king starts telling them they have to fight supernatural ice monsters?

Archived